Author Topic: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia  (Read 18099 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 07:24 GMT (UK) »
This is the marriage for RUBY ELIZA to the man who shares JAMES HARVEY's (her father) burial place.
 ;D

HARVEY Ruby Eliza
To  BARNES Leslie
 Year: 1919
Reg.  1737

Sue
ADDING
Her death

BARNES Ruby Eliza
Father Harvey James
Mother Eliza
Place BALL
Age 86
Year 1983
Reg 15564

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello again sperrett and cando,

Thank you for the last lot of information. The Eliza Jane Harvey question now seems to be put to rest as Richard did have a son James born in 1871 the date fitting well with Eliza Jane’s age – not that that is necessarily significant. So Eliza Jane could well have been buried with her parents-in-law for whatever reason – her husband James living till 1938.

Now my interest lies with trying ti find Margaret Canning's arrival in Australia. It would seem Richard arrived sometime between 1852 - 1854. I would love to find documentation to support it! I will keep going nonetheless.

Thanks
whiteKat
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi sparrett and cando,

When I last replied I hadn't seen your last responses. Your information is amazing I am learning so much about this family - of Richard and James his wife and daughter. I am so grateful - it all helps in putting the picture together.

Thanks
whiteKat
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:54 GMT (UK) »
This is a  remote possibility, but worthy of consideration perhaps.
An item in a document describing CORNISH people on the early BALLARAT fields.  Names a RICHARD HARVEY

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bz9/

Page 240

It has factors of place, origin, year, age  etc. together with the name JOHN( seen in others of your RICHARD's family)May be of significance.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
BARNES, Ruby Eliza.

Interment
Aged 86
Date 12/7/1983.
Widow.
Of QEGC
Location Lawn G. 33R17BRA678? -1A1M

I think QEGC may relate to the QUEEN ELIZABETH ?? CENTRE which offers, among other services, a palliative care section.

Sue

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am so excited at the site you identified ‘The Cornish Overseas’. The Richard Harvey spoken about in the article could well be a possibility as to being my Richard.

And what made the article more exciting is that I could really identify with the places mentioned in the article as my husband and I have just returned from a trip to England during which we visited Cornwall.  I was on the ancestry hunt for Richard at the time and visited Truro Records Office where I obtained information on his birth and that of his parents.  We travelled down the west coast of Cornwall visited St Just where Richard was born and many other Cornish towns. We were fortunate enough in having opportunity to go down the Geevor tin mine - not operative as a mine now but open to visitors on guided tours. Most interesting and such a hard life they had. Reading the article life in Ballarat did not seem much better at times.

Thanks again
Kate

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 September 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Re:  Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING – arrival in Australia
Hi whiteKat,  I have just joined RootsChat.com. I came across your chat regarding Eliza Ann Harvey whom I have been chasing after as Beyers not Beyer. I extracted the name from the birth certificate for Mary Jane Harvey because she signed as informant for the birth details.
Richard and Margaret Harvey are my Great Great Grandparents.
I have gathered almost all the BDM’s for the birth families of Richard and Margaret and their son John and Elizabeth Ellen Harvey (nee Wates). They are my direct line from Richard and Margaret. I refer to my John as John2 in order to distinguish him from his brother John who was born/died in 1866, one year before he was born.
Richard’s parents were Edward Millett Harvey and Mary Rowe. I believe they came to South Australia via Plymouth on the Duchess of Northumberland departing London 30 July 1847 and arrived Port Adelaide 29 October 1847. The captain was Benjamin Freeman.
Edward’s name was recorded in the ships’ log as Edwaid Misset Harvey instead of Edward Millett. It would appear that the loops in the LL’s were written too low so they were interpreted as SS’s. The reference to google is:
BOUND FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA - DUCHESS OF NORTHUMBERLAND 1847 by Diane Cummings
file:///D|/...f Northumberland/BOUND FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA - DUCHESS OF NORTHUMBERLAND 1847 by Diane Cummings.htm[18/03/2011 9:34:50 PM]
Both

The last UK information I have for Edward Harvey and his family is in the 1841 UK Census the details were provided by FreeCEN Home Page
PIECE: H07/144/8    PLACE: Penwith Cornwall Emuneration District 2
CIVIL PARISH: St.Just Ecclesiastical Parish     FOLIO:17 PAGE 14
ADDRESS: Callartha 

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
HARVEY  Edward           M   30    Miner Tin         Cornwall
HARVEY  Mary               F     35                              Cornwall
HARVEY  Richard           M     9                               Cornwall
HILL  John                       M    75   Miner Copper  Cornwall
ROWE  John                   M   70    Mason               Cornwall

South Australian Deaths - 1836 to 1850 - Barry Leadbeater of Family History South Australia records the death of Edward Millet Harvey as aged 43 on 12 October 1849 at Kapunda, South Australia. I since have purchased a copy of the said death certificate but it does not show where he was buried.  I have this problem on the back burner.

Copyright©1996-2011 B Leadbeater, Australia
http://www.familyhistorysa.info/births-marriages-deaths/deaths.html
I was able to purchase a marriage certificate from the Birth, Deaths and Marriages Registration Office Adelaide for the widow of Edward, Mary Harvey to a William Sansum. However I cannot locate where either Mary or William Sansum finally ended up. I will continue searching for all 3 graves.

1. I am also currently looking for anything on Margaret Canning. What was her true age, and is there a birth/baptismal certificate available? How did she come into Australia? Who was with her?  I have been exploring Canning Families that came into Australia hoping that will provide something concrete.

2. I am also looking for what happened to Mary Jane Harvey? Where did she end up? There is no recorded Victorian death certificate in that name or anything close to it. I spent a lot of time trying to find her. My father mentioned to me once that Eliza was supposedly fond of Mary Jane so I suppose it is possible that she may have asked her to move to Sydney to be with her once their mother died (22 Sep 1911), then their sister Margaret, Mrs Patten (21 Nov 1917) and sister in law Eliza Jane Harvey (3 June 1921) all died.

I refer you to an article that I came across which includes a Richard Harvey, Miner, Kapunda, South Australia. Just Google in the following details. It is from a TROVE Digitised newspaper,  South Australian Register dated Thursday 7 March 1850

Article: DECLARATION OF CONFIDENCE IN MR JOHN STEPHENS
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38447147 - Cached

Regards,

AUSSIEROSS1

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 September 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi AUSSIEROSS1

This appears to be the only William SANSUM who was at Kapunda.
[Listed in the Biographical Index SA that is known to have some errors]
SANSOM William b: Ramsay HUN ENG d: 17.5.1877 bd: Ballarat VIC
par: Joseph and Hannah nee BALL
arr: 1846 HOOGHLY 
dep:  VIC   1850s
occ: Miner
res: Kapunda rel: C/E
m: Sarah GERRISON 16.4.1832 Ramsay HUN ENG 
ch: Eliza (1843-1922), John (1847-1925)

DEATH in VIC
William SANSUM
Father: Joseph
Mother: Hannah UNKNOWN
Birth Place: ENGLAND
Event: D
Year: 1877
Reg Number: 3795

I did not find a death for his 1st wife in SA.

TROVE has articles concerning William SANSUM in legal matters, and one mentions a Mary with the surname SAMPSON.

I wonder if this lady was connected? 

DEATH in VIC
Mary SAMPSON
Father: Rowe Richard
Mother: Mary UNKNOWN
Birth Place: CORN
Event: D
Year: 1857
Reg Number: 1160

This looks like a marriage for William in VIC.
William SANSUM
Birth Place: HUNTINGDONSHIRE
Spouse: Harriot Emma PEASNELL
Event: M
Year: 1873
Reg Number: 3661

Essie

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello AUSSIEROSS I and Essie,
I am really excited at seeing your post. Richard and Mary Harvey are my GG grandparents as well. I am out this morning but will talk more later when home.
whiteKat