Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV programme  (Read 66188 times)

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heir Hunters TV programme
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »

Having seen the programme Heir Hunters on TV.

Can anyone see the list which is made available of people dying without making a Will?

If so where please.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV programme
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
http://www.bonavacantia.gov.uk

The list comes out every week.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
And there isn't 3000 on there so would be nice to see the list that exists elsewhere.  This weeks and I think the first of the new year is release in just over an hour

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »

Hi Nick and Rob

Thanks very much for the site, I shall have a great time looking for any distant relatives that may have left me a fortune.

Carol

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 January 10 09:38 GMT (UK) »
And there isn't 3000 on there so would be nice to see the list that exists elsewhere.  This weeks and I think the first of the new year is release in just over an hour

Rob

I think the Heir Hunters companies themselves maintain their own lists from the Bonavacantia lists.  If you think you have a relative that may have died intestate, then you can do a search at the Probate Registry to find out who acted as administrator of the estate (if there was one).

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Nick,

If there is no will and the death is intestate there will be no probate.

I have never come across heir hunting companies maintaining their own lists because these lisst are only released to everyone at midnight Thursdays.  What the bigger companies have are the GRO indexes census etc so that they dont have to rely on sites like Ancestry.  I am sure Fraser and Fraser will correct me if I am wrong.  I also believe they have a complete electorol roll as well because to be able to guess at the value of an estate so quickly would suggest they do.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 January 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Even when there is no will, the estate still has to be administered, and the person taking on that task has to apply to the Probate Registry for "Letters of Administration".  I know this because my half-brother died intestate, and it was a cousin who undertook that (assisted by an heir hunter company), because neither of his half-siblings were aware of his death.

The Bonavacantia List only lists new cases, and Heir Hunter companies keep their own records so that they can keep track, because there's no point in trying to open up a case that has already been solved by another company.  Again, I know this happens, because Neil Fraser was able to tell me (from memory !) which company had dealt with my half-brother's case, even though it was 6 years previous (it wasn't F & F, incidentally).  Neil has an amazing memory, which I suppose is a necessity of the job.

P.S. F & F have a huge range of records, but they also have something even more precious - experienced people out there in the streets, asking questions, because people can often tell you things that dusty old records can't  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Larmz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 January 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Nick, I have to beg to differ about Neil Fraser's memory. He always forgets when it's his round!

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Lar,

Thats a male problem not just Neils.

Nick yes when you apply for letters of administration probate occurs but I was talking about the items on the bonavacantia list which has yet have not passed to that stage.

As Bona only lists new cases then there is no chance of a case thats been succesfully completed being on that list today is there :)  Yes F&F keep a complete file of all the cases they have completed and we have all seen how useful that can be.  I keep a record of all cases I carry out for clients also and occasionally I refer to them again to see if anything new as come up.  I dont believe in closing a case permanently.

I do agree about getting out on the road and asking questions and yes the answers can sometimes tell more than records but again those memories can be very tainted so can't always be taken at face value.

Rob