Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV programme  (Read 66291 times)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV programme
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »

[snip]

The Bonavacantia List only lists new cases

A link to the left hand side of the page on the Bonavacatia website gives you a pdf with cases from the mid 1990's

Cheers
Sandra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I've always been curious as what Fraser's percentage is?  Anyone know?
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
It varies with the value of the estate.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I have heard rumours that it varies between 25% and 40% but I wouldnt want to swear to that.  Whatever the figure is that is for them to know and us to never find out.
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
well if we don't ask  ;)

crikey that sounds like a lot but i suppose if it weren't for them the heir would never ever know!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
well if we don't ask  ;)

crikey that sounds like a lot but i suppose if it weren't for them the heir would never ever know!

Very true but on some of the cases I wouldnt be surprised if they actually made a loss.  Remember if only one heir signs up and is only to receive £2000 then at 25% they would only get £500 and that won't cover the expenses they will have occurred.

I guess if we are asking questions I would love to know the time frame involved from submitting the claim to the treasury solicitor and the cheque being issued. 

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Very true but on some of the cases I wouldnt be surprised if they actually made a loss.  Remember if only one heir signs up and is only to receive £2000 then at 25% they would only get £500 and that won't cover the expenses they will have occurred.

I guess if we are asking questions I would love to know the time frame involved from submitting the claim to the treasury solicitor and the cheque being issued. 

Rob

I'd be quite certain that they sustain a loss on many cases.   Just work out how much it costs to pay an office staff of 50, several mobile researchers, and the cost of running a London office, plus (of course) the £100,000 a year they spend on certificates.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Nick,

That is why they only go for the cases that have possible 6 figure payouts.

Rob

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
If anyone remembers the 1st series the BonaVacantia list used to show the value of the estate of the deceased, but that had stopped by the time the 2nd series was aired, probably too many people trying to do probate research (a loss of revenue to the Govt.)
Great programme, wouldn't we all love a few hours in their library to trawl through all the directories etc. that they have.
I notice that they use FreeBMD a lot, and ancestry/findmypast for census, so although they do have a lot of records to hand most look like they are on microfische (not too sure about the spelling!) so it is probably quicker for them to use these sites.
I have a cousin who when off sick was wathing the programme & found the person they were looking for & ALL their relatives far quicker than they did, and more relatives than shown on the programme.  They do try to make it look very hard.
I am always shocked that social services do not seem to try very hard to find relatives, most people (old folk especially) have address books lying around & old letters etc., so it cannot be that hard in many cases.  I think it is very sad in these instances as often that person in put in a paupers grave with no marker to save money, disgusting to say the least.
Oooh I do feel better after that little rant :D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)