Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV programme  (Read 66186 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV programme
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Plummie,

The removal of the values of estate was to stop the possibilty of money laundering.  That was made clear on series two.

Yes I noticed today that they were using FindMyPast for the 1911 census and I do wonder if they realise they are breaching the Terms of Use by using that census.

From the 1911 census terms and conditions "10.2 You acknowledge and agree that the Resources are made available for your personal, non-commercial use only and that you may only download material and content from the Resources on one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the Resources is strictly prohibited."

I nearly died when I saw them on todays program publicising this.

Upon death social services have no juridstinction and therefore have no right to locate blood of the deceased.  The law requires a solicitor to publish the death in the paper local to the last known address of the deceased asking for anyone with a rightful claim to do so by a given date. If no one does then it is passed to the treasury.  It is also at this stage that HH comonises may be involved.

Techincal point, there are no such things as paupers graves.  They are known as public graves

Rob

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that about the graves could not for the life of me think of Public graves, a very senior moment, but it is getting late.  I think I will go bye byes now.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 10:41 GMT (UK) »
1911 census, we are not allowed to use the findmypast subscription service and have a commercial licence with them we have to pay full price for every one we look at more than £3 each I think.

I have talked about fees before on this forum http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,314836.msg2618375.html#msg2618375 and again http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,420175.15.html so please read them.

There are a lot of cases that we work and do not make money on.

The values were removed because of this case  http://cms.met.police.uk/news/convictions/two_found_guilty_of_inheritance_fraud the Met then told BV that they could put the values back, F&F advised that there was no need because legit firms could work out the value. Sorry we have not talked about this case before but we just couldn't compromise the criminal case, one of these cases is featured in the new series that starts on Monday.

F&F probably have the most data recorded we keep our own lists going back to the 1960's.

Ian, if I remember right it is your round next time we meet, I am sure I remember you telling me.

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 10:42 GMT (UK) »
You may not believe me as HH4 starts on Monday the film crew have just come in for some last minuet pick-ups.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh I believe that all too well.  Had a phone call from WDYTYA 4 days before a program aired to check one item that was in Jeremy Clarksons program which was then never mentioned :)

I agree that the values can be worked out with a little time and I don't need the values should I decide to follow one through but it would be nice as then we could leave those cases companies like yours and Anglia would chase.

But my question regarding time scales from sending all  the details to the treasury and receiving a payment is still outstanding

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Are you a probate researcher?

why have you mentioned Anglia?

For us it takes 12-18 months from when we first contact an heir. It can be quicker but there are legal time periods that slow the process please see our web page. http://www.fraserandfraser.com/uk/timeline/timeline.html

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Neil,

No I am not an heir hunter per se but I do the occasional job for people looking into deceased estates.  I am a pro genealogist.  I mentioned Anglia because I know of them myself along with a number of others.

Re reading my post the para with You and Anglia mentioned together should have read "Leaving those of higher values to companies such as yours and Anglia.  

I did look into doing the same as yourselves but being a sole trader and not having huge savings the time required to wait for the TS to act upon a case would see me bankrupt very quickly.

Rob

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
You may not believe me as HH4 starts on Monday the film crew have just come in for some last minuet pick-ups.

Don't worry, Neil, we'll all be watching for continuity errors  ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
What I wonder about these estates is its easy enough to divide up all the things of monetary value but what happens to the things of no money value? I am thinking of things like photographs and letters, bit hard dividing them amongst several competing heirs
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.