Author Topic: Morgan O'Loughlin from Greyrock, Killonahen  (Read 6575 times)

Offline JodieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morgan O'Loughlin from Greyrock, Killonahen
« on: Tuesday 22 February 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information about Morgan O'Loughlin (O'Laughlin) who is recorded as being from Greyrock, Killonahen, County Clare.  I am unable to find the location of Greyrock or Killonahen and am assuming they no longer exist.  Morgan was a farmer and was married to Anne Fitzpatrick.  Their daughter Margaret (b. 1834) is my 3rd great grandmother and came to Australia when she was 17 years old.  She married James Kenny (born in County Galway) in Sandhurst (now Bendigo), Victoria, Australia in 1856.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline Bazmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan O'Loughlin from Greyrock, Killonahen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jodie,
Maybe I can help. I'm the great great grandson of Margaret's youngest sister Bridget. Here's what I know of Morgan O'Loughlin and his line. I'm visiting Ireland in 3 weeks' time and will get up to Ballyvaughan to check things out. If you have any info or contacts you wish to share with me, please go ahead!!

Morgan O’Loughlin, a farmer, was born in the Ballyvaghan registration district (Irish: Baile Uí Bheacháin, meaning "Ó Beachán's townland"), north-west Clare, in 1801, and died in the same place early in 1884. Ballyvaghan is noted for its ancient archaeological remains, and its unique geology and flora.
The names of Peter (1807 - 1887 Ballyvaghan), Bryan (1810 - 1900 Ballyvaghan), Patrick (1805 - 1870 Ballyvaghan), and Bridget (1806 - 1901 Ballyvaghan) O’Loughlin – very possibly the brothers and sisters of Morgan – also appear as occupants of Cragreah, in Griffith’s Valuation of 1855. All these siblings held land in several other townlands and parishes, but Greyrock, Cragreah seems to have been where they lived.
It is interesting to note that the surname O’Loughlin ‘is an anglicised form of the Gaelic Ó Lachtnáin ("descendant of Lachtnán"), and the Gaelic personal name Lachtnán is derived from lachtna meaning “grey”’ (Wikipedia). Could this indicate an intimate bond between the land around Greyrock and its families? It seems to be generally accepted that the surname O’Loughlin arose in this region of Clare, where the family had established a seat ‘from very ancient times’. http://www.houseofnames.com/o-loughlin-family-crest
Anne Fitzpatrick was also born in the Ballyvaghan registration district, Clare, in 1802, and died in the same place in 1888.

Morgan and Anne married sometime before 1830. Their children included:

Generation 1:
Patrick, born Clare 1830, married Bridget O’Loughlin, Pegleg Gully, Bendigo 1856 (was Bridget Patrick’s cousin? She was the daughter of a Peter O’Loughlin and Bridget Hurley of Clare). Died Eaglehawk, Bendigo 1923, aged 93. The children of the marriage were Mary, Morgan, John, Daniel, Patrick, Peter, Bridget, and James.

Margaret, born Greyrock Clare 1833, married James Kenny, Sandhurst 1856, died Sandhurst 1863, aged 29. The children of the marriage were Michael, Patrick, James (dec’d), Annie, and James.

Mary, born Ballyvaghan Clare 1834, married Thomas Cullinan, Ballyvaghan Clare 1854, died Kyabram 1920, aged 85. The children of the marriage were Michael, Margaret, Mary, Annie, John, Catherine, Thomas, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hanora, and Stephen.

Bridget, born Clare circa 1835, died 8th April 1917, in Sydney, of ‘Morbus Cordis’, aged 82. She migrated as a paying passenger to Victoria with her brother and sisters in 1856, at the age of 21. Bridget married James Slattery at Sandhurst in 1857, and with him had my great-grandmother Catherine.

Cheers,
Barry

Offline JodieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 11 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,
Thanks for sharing your information.  That gives me something more to go on with.  It's great to hear you are heading to Ballyvaughn to check things out.  I'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to share any information you find whilst there.  I haven't done any researching in Ireland as yet as I've been stuck on Morgan and Anne O'Loughlin and didn't know where to start.

The only O'Loughlin information I have is about Margaret (my 3rd great grandmother) as follows:

Born in Clare County Ireland (listed on marriage and death certificates). Lived 11 years in the Colony of Victoria which suggests she arrived in Australia aged 17 years.
Married at Bendigo (formerly known as Sandhurst) at the age of 21 years to James Kenny (gold miner). Witnesses to marriage: John Connelly and Bridget O'Loughlin. Bride, groom and witnesses all signed names with an X.
Occupation: States on death certificate 1863: Gold Miner's wife.
Death certificate: died aged 29 years at Peg Leg Gully from softening on the brain (9 months). Informant on death certificate was Patrick O'Laughlin (brother of deceased) Occupation: Gold miner at Peg Leg. Registered by Father O'Dwyer Roman Catholic Clergyman.
Buried at White Hill Cemetery, Bendigo.
Date of Burial: 24/11/1863

and an article I found online mentioning Morgan O'Loughlin which states that he was appointed steward for the electoral division of Killonahen in 1848. I'm only assuming it's our Morgan as it mentions he's from Greyrock. The link is:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/et_minutes/et_minutes_book4_part5.htm

It's interesting that all the children migrated together. Do you know the name of the ship they travelled on?

If you have any further information I'd love to see it.
Kind regards,
Jodie

Offline Bazmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 11 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jodie,
I'm back from Ireland having visited the places of each of my 15 Irish great great grandparents.
As part of this tour I visited Greyrock and met local O'Loughlins, though none had ever heard of Morgan. One possible next step is to commission a record search by the Clare Heritage Centre. I've yarned with Antoinette O'Bryen who runs the service, and I'd be happy to go ahead with a search if I'm satisfied that it could yield results. I do know already that parish records don't go back far enough to record Morgan's marriage or the births of his kids. I'll talk to Antoinette again soon. If any more information comes to light I'll let you know.
About the Victorian immigrant shipping records. As you're probably aware, they're a bit of a dog to work with, NSW records are much better organised. Here's something to start the ball rolling for you, if you haven't gone down that road already:
Family Name Given Name Age Month Year       Ship        Book    Page
OLOUGHLIN   MARGT   18   MAR   1854   HOOGHLY   10   218
OLOUGHLIN   MARGT   20   SEP   1855   CAIRNGORM   12   140
OLOUGHLIN   MARGT   14   JAN   1854   POICTIERS   9   315
OLOUGHLIN   MARGT   17   JAN   1854   TUDOR   9   363
OLOUGHLIN   MARGT   29   FEB   1854   BLENHEIM   9   401

these indexes are found at
http://210.8.122.120/indexes/Index_search.asp?searchid=24
Hope this is of some use,
cheers,
Barry

Offline JodieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry,
Great to hear that you had an enjoyable trip.  How frustrating that there's no further information to be found on Morgan.  Is Greyrock an actual place or is it the name of a property in Ballyvaughan?

Thanks for the information on the shipping records.  I've done a brief search in the past but it's difficult when there are so many people with the same names!

Anyway, I'll keep digging and will share anything new if I find something.
kind regards,
Jodie

Offline BellaBeauty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 20 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a late reply to an old post but Morgan O'Loughlin from Greyrock died on the 6th December 1883 with his son John by his side in Greyrock which is about 3 miles from Lisdoonvarna. When his death was registered in January 1884, Ballyvaughan served as the local regional centre for the official registration of births, deaths and marriages. Being from the local area with an O'Loughlin connection myself I confirm that there are quite a few families residing in and around the local area by the name of O'Loughlin. Looking back over records for Ballyvaughan Morgan seems to have been a fairly common Christian name in the O'Loughlin family but I only ever knew one in my lifetime. I undertook a DNA test to find my O'Loughlin relatives in Ballyvaughan which is only 10 miles from where I came from..I've only found 2 and while both of their ancestors originated in Greyrock  have not found anything else more useful as my DNA matches are not remotely local and live in Australia. So the search continues. But I can confirm that Greyrock does exist, it's outside Lisdoonvarna on the road to Ballyvaughan.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

But I can confirm that Greyrock does exist, it's outside Lisdoonvarna on the road to Ballyvaughan.

Indeed it is.........here it is on Google Maps.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q0z/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »

.......but Morgan O'Loughlin from Greyrock died on the 6th December 1883 with his son John by his side.......

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06332/4815731.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo