Author Topic: Jane Renton Cockburnspath  (Read 23080 times)

Offline bpowerfull4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Renton Cockburnspath
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 August 13 05:00 BST (UK) »
Took a trip to Cockburnspath cemetery last week to look for the gravestone of George Renton, his wife Elizabeth and some of their children. I went to the cemetery of the church in the middle of the village and found plenty of gravestones from around that time BUT couldn't locate this one.  Do you think I was in the wrong graveyard? Or just not looking carefully enough?  !!!!!!  Any clues/advice welcome.
Thanks to normamac for the next generation back.
Hi I am related to William Renton born 25/07/1824 son of George Renton & Elizabeth Anderson

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 August 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
My link is to Helen Renton, born 16.6.1829 in Cockburnspath.

I see William in the family tree. I have his birth date as  26.7.1924, one day different from the date

you have - I'd have got that from Old Parish Records so maybe the writing wasn't too clear!

There were 12 children in the family but I think several died in infancy - I don't have more detail,

other than birth and baptism dates, on any of the children of George and Elizabeth, except Helen,

who I am descended from.

Do you have more information about William, or any of the others?

Or any other general information about the family?

Offline bpowerfull4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 August 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
My link is to Helen Renton, born 16.6.1829 in Cockburnspath.

I see William in the family tree. I have his birth date as  26.7.1924, one day different from the date

you have - I'd have got that from Old Parish Records so maybe the writing wasn't too clear!

There were 12 children in the family but I think several died in infancy - I don't have more detail,

other than birth and baptism dates, on any of the children of George and Elizabeth, except Helen,

who I am descended from.

Do you have more information about William, or any of the others?

Or any other general information about the family?
HI, William Renton married Isabella Grieve on 21/10/1844 Coburnspath they had a daughter Janet Grieve Renton (My great Grandmother) The 1841 and 1851 census shows George & Elizabeths family. the 1851 census shows Helen as unmarried dress maker

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 July 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone thanks for replying sorry i haven't been on roots chat for such a long time thank you for taking the time to reply and for all the information, I will have a look at what I have got and see if I can add anymore information to give back to you all, all the best Lesley
Reid - Edinburgh, East Linton
Borthwick - Edinburgh, Dalkeith
Cowe - East Lothian
Johnston - Dalkeith, Borthwick
Christie, Lee, Anderson, Greig, Innes, Bisset, Noble, Fraserburgh

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I too have only found this line of research for Renton in Berwick-shire.
I have Isabell Renton born about 1788 either Chirnside or Mordingtion, who married a David GIBSON, who was born 1784 died 1861 and is my 3 x great grand father.
Their children were John 1807, Alison 1809, David 1811, Robert 1815, Anderson 1818 and William (my 2 x Gr Gr father) 1821 and Thomas in 1829.
I wonder if there is a link between Jane and Isabell.

Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline ali_wooding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am new to RootsChat but am researching my neice's family tree for her 16th birthday.  Her Dad's side of the family are from Scotland and I am making some progress with understanding how Scottish records work!  My neice's Great Great Grandfather was a John Liddle Renton, born in 1879 to John Renton and Margaret Liddle.  I can't seem to find a death record for him though, and came across this post when doing a simple Google search to try and find a lead to follow!  Any help appreciated!

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 January 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, Thanks for your reply to that post!  I'm a bit in shock as it must be 3 years since I wrote that. There was a time when I carried all this info in my head, and I still remember some of it which I'll give you here, but some of the detail I'll look up and send you later.

John Liddle Renton was my grandmother's brother! She was Helen Renton and was born in 1877. I think there were 4 children - Elizabeth ?possibly Brown? Renton, Helen Renton, John Liddle Renton and Mary Jane Janet Liddle Renton.   John Liddle Renton and his siblings were born in  Grantshouse, in Berwickshire, where his family ran the Post Office, quite a 'big deal' in those days. The running of the Post Office was later handed on to Mary Jane Janet and her husband, John Pollock. If I remember correctly, Margaret Liddle's father (John Liddle Renton's grandfather) was a veterinary surgeon, another  'big deal' then as the profession was, I think, only beginning to get itself organised and use of the title 'veterinary surgeon' suggested prefessional training and probably registration, but I haven't been able fo find out more about this.

John Liddle Renton married, had a son (John, known as Ian), then his young wife died. I can get details of where, when etc, but it was in one of the Borders' weaving towns. At that time John Liddle Renton was working as a personal servant and driver to a professional cricketer. (Who and where I can let you know) I would guess he was distraught after the death of his wife and moved to the West of Scotland where he became a chauffeur. His son, John, was brought up by his sister, Mary Jane Janet. Over in the West of Scotland JLR remarried and had several children but then died fairly young himself - dates , etc, I can find and send on. I would guess that you're niece is related to one of those children. I also guess that you are not living in Scotland.

I'll go and look up the other info that you might find of use and send it to you. Any other questions, just ask.
Anne

Offline ali_wooding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I am totally amazed that you've replied, thank you so much!  I look forward to hearing from you again!

Offline Anne Lothian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly amazed myself that you found the 'thread' to this on google.  I'm in the process of finding the info which might be of use. I'm actually recovering from flu so I'm very happy to have this distraction!  A