Author Topic: Molinex Fold  (Read 6793 times)

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
Re: Molinex Fold
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 March 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Your a star
Will contact the archives and see what I can find , will keep you informed of progress
Liz

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Now I think of it: there was an open day at the archives last October, and one of the talks was about the history of the building:  I'm sure that the photos included at least one of the row of  houses that we now know was Molineux Fold/Court.

Cati

Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
A little more information:  Molineux Fold still existed in the 1950s/1960s:  my dad worked on one of the houses at that time.  The houses were owned by Hortons' Estate Limited, a company which owned quite a  number of properties in the town.

Hortons' Estate Ltd still exists - address 31A Colmore Row, Birmingham B3 2BU - perhaps it may be able to help you?

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 September 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Months after your original query, but  I today picked up a brochure from the archives that has the houses in Molineux Fold shown on two photographs!  Not great shots - the hotos are actually of Molineux House - but at least show something.

I picked up two copies, so if you'd like one, PM me with your snailmail address.##Cati

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 October 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have not been on roots chat for ages but went on today and saw your post I am not sure if you still have the leaflet due to the time lapse but thank you anyway for picking it up in the first place I will send PM with my email
Kind Regards Liz

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 October 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
I always thought that Molineux Fold was the alleyway that ran from opposite the back gate of my primary school (behind Giffard House on Wadhams Hill) down to the Wolves football ground.

That would have been in the 1950s, but I thought that it was still sign-posted as such much later than that.  Or am I just confused?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have not been on roots chat for ages but went on today and saw your post I am not sure if you still have the leaflet due to the time lapse but thank you anyway for picking it up in the first place I will send PM with my email
Kind Regards Liz

I still have the leaflet - as soon as I unearth an A5 envolope, I'll post it (might not be till the end of the week).

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
I always thought that Molineux Fold was the alleyway that ran from opposite the back gate of my primary school (behind Giffard House on Wadhams Hill) down to the Wolves football ground.

That would have been in the 1950s, but I thought that it was still sign-posted as such much later than that.  Or am I just confused?

Here's a map from 1938 showing Molineux Fold at the front of the then Molineux Hotel: the alley you're thinking of is shown as Molineux Alley.  As opposed to Molineux Street, which was the end of the street I was born in. 

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Aha, so the fold was a yard at the front (or then back) of the Molineux Hotel.  You're right that it was the Alley that I was thinking of but thought that I had seen a street sign for Molineux Fold somewhere down there.

Small world cati.  I have a death certificate showing that the last address of a great aunt of mine, who died in the 1950s was Molineux Street.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)