Author Topic: How can I find a Birth record in Ireland?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How can I find a Birth record in Ireland?
« on: Tuesday 19 April 05 13:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my Grandmother Clara May Brenan's birth in 1906.

Unfortunately, the beginning of her life is a complete blank, as she did not know who her parents were, and was brought up by who she believed to be her grandparents Lucy and William Taylor and her aunt Hilda in a village called Bisley in Gloucestershire, England.

From the school register we found that she came from 42 Danbrook Road, Streatham, London. She always remembered that when she was young, she had a Christening certificate from the Streatham area.

But searches for a record of her birth has found absolutley nothing and I am now wondering if she was born (and hopefully registered!) in Ireland seeing as she had an Irish surname.

How do you go about finding a Birth record in Ireland?

Are there any searchable databases like ancestry.co.uk?

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with this one! :)

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find a Birth record in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

are you still wondering how to start? There are plenty of website that explain how to find Irish births. There are no on line resources for 1906. You need to go to your nearest family history centre (church of the latter day saints) and search their birth indexes for her. If you find her, then you can get her birth register entry with parents details etc. See my website for a bit more.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find a Birth record in Ireland?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Yes I was still wondering how to start!

Thank you for all your help and information, and for the link to your website (which I have now bookmarked for future reference!).

Kind regards

Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk