Author Topic: KEMPSON of Nottingham & Australia  (Read 21367 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: KEMPSON of Nottingham & Australia
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 23 June 11 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

As I understand it, (and I could well be wrong), the book was written/published in the mid 1990's and it is in the genealogy's reference section of the Tee Tree Gully Library.

Here is a shrunken link that may help identify the (52 page) book ....  (A Policeman's Lot is not a happy one : the Kempson's of Nottingham and Tea Tree Gully, by S M Barnett).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dwm/

Cheers,  JM

edit to add this PS From the RChat Sth Australian Resources Board at this link are details about Sth Australian BDM records http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280572.0.html
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 23 June 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The info below is drawn from an online INDEX, so it would need to be validated against the actual certificates, for validation and for additional information on those documents (occupations, witnesses, fuller addresses, signatures, and all the usual vital family history clues, including verifying that the actual indexed item exists, and the transcribed index details have been "interpreted" correctly)   

Rosa Ellen Kempson married 13 October 1897 at the residence of Mr Kempson at Tea Tree Gully.   
The marriage was registered at Highercombe, South Australia.  Rosa married Frank Harmer, whose father was recorded as John Harmer. Rosa’s father was recorded as Henry Kempson.  Ref Vol 193, Pg 161. 

Rosa Ellen Kempson was born 20 August 1874 at Darley, Sth Australia.  Her birth was registered at Adelaide, Sth Australia.  Her parents were recorded as Henry Kempson and Catherine Jane Crowle.  Ref Vol 140 Pg 205.

Catherine Jane Crowle married Henry Kempson 3 May 1865 at the residence of Mrs Crowle, Campbelltown, Sth Australia.  Henry’s father was recorded as Henry Kempson and Catherine’s father was recorded as James Crowle.
The marriage was registered at Adelaide Sth Australia.  Ref Vol 62 Pg 40.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 23 June 11 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sevendays,

Perhaps these threads may help expand your research
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,528623.10.html  (Crowle and Harmer mentioned)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,519267.0.html  (Stokes and Kempson mentioned)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,522767.0.html (Stokes)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,524132.0.html (Henry Snr's first Australian marriage)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,528623.0.html (Ellen Yuille's marriage to Kempson)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,529148.0.html (Jane Winfield and son Thomas W Kempson)

There may be other threads that I have missed, some of those may be linked within the above threads,  and I presume Martin will have better knowledge.

Do you have the 1907 NZ death cert for Henry (husand of Eliza Winter Harvey) .... ?

Cheers,  JM

Offline sevendays

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 24 June 11 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you both.
This is very helpful
Regards
Sevendays

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 24 June 11 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your Thank You Sevendays, it is much appreciated.

The search options here at RChat are usually very helpful, and those linked threads are full of references for so many BDM certificates.  Of course where would anyone be without a close check and careful reading of each of those certificates which contain so much information of significance for family history seekers.   

It is my opinion that wise selection of which certificate to obtain is the foundation stone for any quality research to advance.  I feel sure that you would agree that there's some further pennies to be spent to expand the research further, and it is simply a matter of deciding which certificate will give the most "new" information to benefit your own line of research.

Cheers,  JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 24 June 11 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The info below is drawn from an online INDEX, so it would need to be validated against the actual certificates, for validation and for additional information on those documents (occupations, witnesses, fuller addresses, signatures, and all the usual vital family history clues, including verifying that the actual indexed item exists, and the transcribed index details have been "interpreted" correctly)   

Rosa Ellen Kempson married 13 October 1897 at the residence of Mr Kempson at Tea Tree Gully.   
The marriage was registered at Highercombe, South Australia.  Rosa married Frank Harmer, whose father was recorded as John Harmer. Rosa’s father was recorded as Henry Kempson.  Ref Vol 193, Pg 161. 

Rosa Ellen Kempson was born 20 August 1874 at Darley, Sth Australia.  Her birth was registered at Adelaide, Sth Australia.  Her parents were recorded as Henry Kempson and Catherine Jane Crowle.  Ref Vol 140 Pg 205.

Catherine Jane Crowle married Henry Kempson 3 May 1865 at the residence of Mrs Crowle, Campbelltown, Sth Australia.  Henry’s father was recorded as Henry Kempson and Catherine’s father was recorded as James Crowle.
The marriage was registered at Adelaide Sth Australia.  Ref Vol 62 Pg 40.

Cheers,  JM

Sorry to be a fusspot but if the information has been taken from a subscription based website it seems to me that the subscribers are not getting value for money.

South Australia adopted the English system of bdm registration and the certificates lack detail whereas the Eastern colonies [states] followed the more comprehensive system like that in Scotland.  However the indexes give so much more information that other states but only the trade of the groom would be additional on the certificate.   Have a read of the link below.  The Registrations District boundaries changed over time and at one stage I think there were 22 districts which grew from the original two.  The registration number is expressed as District/Book/Page.

Info on all South Australian Certificates
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368744.0.html

From my resource -

HARMER Frank  32 years  Status Single  Father John HARMER
KEMPSON Rosa Ellen 23 years  Status Single  Father Henry KEMPSON
13 Oct 1897
At the residence of Mr Kempson Tea Tree Gully   Hig 193/161

KEMPSON Henry  22 years  Status Single  Father Henry KEMPSON
CROWLE Catherine Jane 22 years  Status Single  Father James CROWLE
3 May 1865
At the residence of Mrs Crowle, Campbelltown   Ade 62/40  [This marriage was registered twice in the district register with the other registration being Ade 62/84 - the 2nd registration has Henry's status as not recorded or not known]

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 24 June 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
Do you have the 1907 NZ death cert for Henry (husand of Eliza Winter Harvey) .... ?

SEVENDAYS,

In reply #56 Jm asks you this.

Previously too  I think there has been  a question along the same lines.

Are you able, please, to answer.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 24 June 11 06:42 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm, I have not found the registration for Henry's 1907 death at the following link

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search/

And from earlier in this thread, at reply #30
......Henry died 24Th July 1907 Timaru New Zealand.......

Cheers,  JM

Offline sevendays

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 June 11 06:48 BST (UK) »
As I recall I found it after referral in the local NZ newspaper.
Regards
Sevendays