Author Topic: VAUGHAN Family of Queensland (COMPLETED)  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Meka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
VAUGHAN Family of Queensland (COMPLETED)
« on: Wednesday 23 February 11 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Descendants of Clement Hamilton Vaughan aka Charles Vaughan and Alice Mary Vaughan aka Mary Alice Vaughan nee Murray.
Clement Hamilton Vaughan b. 1850, Bridgenorth, Shropshire, England.
Died 1934 South Brisbane, Queensland.
Arrived Queensland on the Ship "Royal Dane" in 1873.
Wife - Alice Mary Murray b. abt 1854. Died 1896 Marathon North Station,
between Richmond and Hughenden, Queensland. Alice Mary Murray may have arrived in Queenland on the Ship "Great Queenslander" in 1874.
Details are sketchy.
Alice later married Clement Vaughan, I haven't been able to find the registration of the marriage.
Children - Isabella Vaughan b.1871, d. 1921. Isabella married Owen      Glendower Hughes.
John Evan Vaughan b.1881. No other details.
Pheobe Vaughan b.1883, d.1884.
Clara Elizabeth Vaughan b. 1885 at Hughenden, died 1978 in Rockhampton, Queensland.  Clara married William Batts.
Ernest James Vaughan b. 1888. Death Unknown. Ernest married Ellen Jane
Sloan in 1914.
Clement Hamilton Vaughan b. 1891, d.1957. Clement married Gertrude Alice Peut in 1927.
William Roberts Vaughan b.1894, d. Brisbane 1960. William married Clare Pretoria Taylor in 1924.

Clement Hamilton Vaughan (Snr) remarried in 1899 to Louisa Moule.
Louisa Moule b.1870 near Armidale NSW. Died - 1943 Queensland.
Children - Llewelyn Clifford Vaughan aka Clifford b.1900, died 1939 at Richmond, Queensland. He married Ruby Sarah McCall in 1928.
Gladys Evelyn Louisa Vaughan b. 1904. No other details.
All of the Vaughan Children were born in Queenland. Clara Elizabeth Vaughan was my Great Grandmother. Any information on her parents and siblings would be much appreciated.
The Vaughan's lived a majority of their years around the Richmond and Hughenden areas.
Regards,
Meka
COMPLETED
Acheson, Seery, Batts, Dobson, Hogan, Salmon

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: VAUGHAN Family of Queensland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meka,

Clement Hamilton Vaughan b. 1850, Bridgenorth, Shropshire, England.

You say you are looking for his descendants. Do you already have the VAUGHAN family in Bridgnorth before they left?

From my collection of various Bridgnorth records, I have the family mentioned in the local newspaper seven times, many family burials including infant siblings of Clement, Burgess lists, List of Freeman, etc.
I assume you have them on the early Bridgnorth census?

Gwynne
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Gwynne,
I have records showing that only Clement Vaughan travelled on the ship
'Royal Dane' arriving Queensland Australia
1873. Years later his brother Joshua came to Queensland Australia, Joshua died in Queensland in 1939.
Their parents were William Vaughan b:1812 Bridgenorth, and Sarah Robinson b: 1817 Much, Wenlock, Shropshire. Sarah died 29 March 1864 at Bridgenorth. William and Sarah were married 7 August 1834 St Leonard's.
Bridgenorth.
I have used the Census to find information. I do have an interest in finding the British and maybe Wales ancestry of the family too.
I do have limited information on Clement's siblings.
Could you please tell me how I could gain the information you mention, newspaper notices of the burials or the other lists?
Regards,
Meka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 11 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Meka,

In my collection of records about Bridgnorth, there is a huge amount of information on your VAUGHAN family.

You should already have William Hancocks VAUGHAN bap.1812 and his five siblings. All children of Richard & Jemina.

As you know, William married Sarah ROBINSON. Both signed the Register. Witnesses were Richard VAUGHAN and Elizabeth ? They had at least 11 children.

1st child. Richard Hancock VAUGHAN was bap. 30 Oct 1836 at St Leonard's. William, his Father, was a cow cutter of Listley Street.
Richard was charged with rape in 1860 - see below.
Richard, aged 29, was buried in 1866 - see below.

2nd child. Isabella VAUGHAN was bap. 10 Oct 1838 at St Leonard's. Her Father, was a cow cutter of Whitburn Street.
Isabella, age 27, spinster, married Joseph Harry RITSON, aged 20, son of John, a Surveyor, on 12 April 1867 at St Leonard's.
Isabella & Joseph had at least 5 children. Full details available if required.
Isabella, aged 41, was buried in 1880 - see below.

3rd child. William Hancock VAUGHAN was bap. 19 July 1840 at St Leonard's. William, his Father, was a Victualler of Raven Street.
William, aged 24, was buried in 1865 - see below.

4th child. Clara VAUGHAN. Born 1843. Christening not found at St Leonard's or St Mary's.
Perhaps married Francis Pearsall HARRIS in 1877?

5th child. Joshua Hancock VAUGHAN. Born 1845. Christening not found.
Joshua married on 7 Jan 1868 at St Mary's.
Joshua, of full age, bachelor, a Veterinary operator, of St Mary's St. Father also a Vet' op'.
Emily ELCOCK, full age, spinster, of New Town. Father a Builder. Both signed.
Joshua & Emily had at least two children. Full details available if required.
Emily, aged 42, was buried in 1883 - see below.
I understand you say Joshua later went to Queensland.

6th child. Sarah Elizabeth VAUGHAN. Born 1847. Christening not found.
One Sarah VAUGHAN, a single woman, Christened a base child William on 29 Dec 1872 at St Mary's.

7th child. Clement Hancox VAUGHAN. Born 1850. Christening not found.

8th child. Evan Hancocks VAUGHAN. Born 1852. Christening not found.
Perhaps married Catherine Annie MANSELL in 1880?

9th child. Harry Hancock VAUGHAN. Born 1856. Christening not found.
Harry, aged 20 months, was buried in 1857 - see below.

10th child. Walter Vincent VAUGHAN. Born 1858. Christening not found.
Walter, aged 7 months, was buried in 1859 - see below.

11th child. Leonora Ada. Born 1861. Christening not found.

Listed on the Bridgnorth Burgess List;

William VAUGHAN at St Mary's Street in 1843.
William VAUGHAN at St Mary's Street in 1857.
William VAUGHAN at 26 St Mary's Street in 1863.

Some of the 19 VAUGHAN burials in the Municipal Cemetery are your family.
Source - Bridgnorth Municipal Cemetery book from 1855.

Harry Hancox VAUGHAN, Son of William & Sarah, age 20 mths of St Mary's St. Buried 26 Nov 1857. Grave No.1256 UnConsecrated. No headstone found.
Walter Vincent VAUGHAN, Son of William & Sarah, age 7 mths of St Mary's St. Buried 28 April 1859. Grave No.1257 UnConsecrated. No headstone found.
Sarah VAUGHAN, Wife of William, age 47 of St Mary's St. Buried 4 April 1864. Grave No.3502 Consecrated. Headstone photographed with below.
William Hancox VAUGHAN, Castrator, age 24. Buried 9 March 1865. Grave No.3503 Consecrated. Headstone photographed with above.
Richard Hancox VAUGHAN, Castrator, age 29. Buried 26 July 1866. Grave No.3501 Consecrated. Headstone photographed with above.
Emily VAUGHAN, Wife of Joshua, age 42. Buried 28 Feb 1883. Grave No.1784 Consecrated. No headstone found.
Evan H V RITSON, Son of J H Ritson, age 2 wks. Buried 19 Aug 1872. Grave No.3500 Consecrated.
Sarah Isabel RITSON, Dau of Joseph Harry & Isabel, age 19 days. Buried 2 Dec 1874. Grave No.3499 Consecrated.
Isabel RITSON, Wife of J H Ritson, age 41. Buried 11 Oct 1880. Grave No.3583 Consecrated.

I’ve put a photograph of the memorial on a temporary web page I use for such things. Download from there at your convenience.

www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/familyhistory/variousfolder/various.html

Maximum message length exceeded. Continued below.....

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 11 00:58 GMT (UK) »
...... continued from above message

Extracts from the weekly local newspaper 'The Bridgnorth Journal'
Source - my own book 'Bridgnorth - News and Events between 1852 and 1900'

24 June 1854. Court - assault. Mentions John Maun of The Black Horse. Police Con' Rose. Mr Bradshaw - Veterinary Surgeon. Mr VAUGHAN. Mr Loftus - an Irishman.
28 Nov 1857. Died - Harry VAUGHAN, age 1 year 8 months, son of Mr W Vaughan of St Mary's Street.
17 July 1858. Notice of Insolvency - William Vaughan PERRY, [comment - Son of Ann VAUGHAN b.1801 & William PERRY] Late of High Street, afterwards of St Mary's Street, now of Salop Street. Butcher and Licensed Victualler.
* 25 Feb 1860. Court - Richard Hancox VAUGHAN - Castrator of Bridgnorth. Charged with rape of Susannah Garbett, age 13 of Tedstill. Mentions her grandmother Mrs Tolley. Verdict - see 24 March.
11 Mar 1865. Died - William VAUGHAN, age 21, second son of William Vaughan of St Mary's Street.
13 Apr 1867. Married - Joseph Harry RITSON, son of the late John Ritson, Civil Engineer and Surveyor of Sedgley. Married to Isabel Vaughan, eldest dau of William Vaughan of St Mary's Street.
11 Jan 1868. Married - Joshua Hancock, son of Mr W VAUGHAN of St Mary’s Street, to Emily, dau of Edward Elcock, Builder & Contractor of New Town.

* The report of the Court case involving Richard Hancox VAUGHAN is on my temporary web page. WARNING - some people will find this Court case distressing.

www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk/familyhistory/variousfolder/various.html

The Court case is mentioned in a published book 'Talking with Past Hours' being the diary of William Fletcher from 1858 to 1860.
Quote;
"R. Vaughan was brought before Mr Wylde Browne today on the serious charge of criminally assaulting a young girl of 13. He was committed for trial at Shrewsbury Assizes. I hope this will prove a warning to his younger brother for he is as big a scamp."
Unquote.

Whilst collecting the above records for you, I've drawn a family tree of 33 people. If required, I'll send it if you send your email address by Personal Message.

Hope it helps,
Gwynne
www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Offline Meka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Gwynne,
Thankyou so much for the wonderful information and most of all for taking the time to help me. Your an absolute Treasure!
Regards,
Meka

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: VAUGHAN Family of Queensland (COMPLETED)
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Meka, there is a new thread here, someone else researching the Vaughan family  :D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=701942.msg5449468#msg5449468

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton