Author Topic: HALEs of Therfield  (Read 5345 times)

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HALEs of Therfield
« on: Wednesday 23 February 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone on here researching the Hale family of Therfield, near Royston? I have gone down several twists and turns on this family and ended up at one point with my husband supposedly being descended from royalty but I am pretty sure that is not the case!  ;D

I have got as far back as Thomas Hale born 1617 (d 1656) and married to Ann or Annis but cannot get back further because I cannot find his parents in Therfield. The nearest I can find is at Watton at Stone and I think that is a different branch.

My tree so far is:
Henry George Hale (1918-1993) -m- Valerie Ada Alicia Woodman
HGH father was Henry B Hale (b1880) who married Frances Hatfield
HBH father was Isaac Hale (1839-1903) who married Elizabeth Nichols
IH father was James Hale (b1806 Royston) who married Emma Wolsey
(the above I know to be absolutely correct as I have certificates and family photos - the information below is based on IGI records so far)

I believe James Hale's father to also be James Hale (born April 1777) married to Sarah Anderson
JH's father was I believe Samuel Hale, married to Elizabeth James ( no birth dates, but in Therfield)
SH's father was I believe Samuel Hale, (b 1706 Therfield) married to Ann Chapman
SH's father was I believe Samuell Hale (b1667 Royston married to Margaret Fordham)
SH's father was I believe, John Hale (b1646 and married to Elizabeth)
JH's father was I believe, Thomas Hale, (B 1616, d 1656) and married to Ann or Annis
IGI record gives a Hale born 1595 as Thomas Hale's father but no other clues.

And there I am stuck and I have no proof that the latter part of the tree is actually correct either, but have made assumptions due to the fact that I can find no other Hales in Therfield which fit the dates.

Anyone?

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is not a rehersal.
    • View Profile
Re: HALEs of Therfield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I do not have any Hales in my tree so far, but my Knights family came from Therfield and I found the following site very useful. Especially the section called  Rev Hales Pedigrees. Have you seen the site?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.hagger1/Therfield/index.htm

G.
Herts: Marlborough, Cobb, Knights, Wilkins
Norfolk: Engall, Tyrrell
Neath and Somerset: Bennett

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you - yes I had come across the site before but hadn't been able to tie any of the names up with my tree - I think it may be a different branch of the family. Probably worth having another look at it though! Many thanks!

Offline xxchimesxx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have no idea if we might have a match or not, I have come to a complete halt.....on a Samuel Hale wife Elizabeth.
My Hales are in Little Hadham I have a Thomas Hale 1757 parents above then he must of died cause there is another Thomas Hale born 1760, then no more children that I can find.
I cannot find a marriage either I just wondered if your Samuel an Elizabeth hale were the same as mine.....
My Thomas Hale stayed in Little Hadham, but as I said the only Samuel Hale in Little Hadham seems to of married a Susan, I know that Elizabeth may of died but the dates etc do not fit in, so I thought awhile back that there was a chance my Hale family line may not of been from Little Hadam.

Sue

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 13 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I too am researching the Hales of Therfield. At this point I have to say that as far as I can see none of the names mentioned so far connect with my lot so probably another branch.
At the moment I am stuck on Edward Hale bpt. 1754 Therfield, son of William and Elizabeth, and his wife Edith, maiden Warren,bpt 1750 Therfield and am trying to confirm the dates fo their deaths.
Information has been given that Edward died 1791 and Edith 1808 but no proof furnished so I'm a bit wary of this.
It's possible that their deaths were in Bennington as that's where the last of their children were born, so, please, if anyone can help further this information I would appreciate it.

Chooch
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If it's any help I can confirm that Edith Hales was buried 29th Dec 1808 at St Peters Bennington & it would appear that Edward did die before 1800 as my index covers 1800 - 1851.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 13 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie

That is a big help, thank you very much  :), at least I can now put Edith safely to rest in our tree.

Regards

Chooch
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 January 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome. :)
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MartinGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 December 23 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this helps, but I have the following for the earlier Hale line of descent - I have many more details if required . . .

Edward Hale (dates not known)
Thomas Hale (c1504, Codicote - 1574 or 1589, Codicote) married Agnes (or Anne) Michell in 1535 in Codicote
William Hale (c1538, Codicote - 1595, Kings Walden) married Alice Camfield in 1560 in Codicote
Richard Hale (1564, Codicote - 1641, Codicote) married Mary Hill in 1587 in Codicote
Thomas Hale (1591, Codicote - 1625, Ware) married Jane Spencer in 1615 in Widford
John Hale (1621, Widford - 1682, Ware) married Elizabeth Bleak in 1653 in Ware
Samuel Hale (1667, Royston - 1731, Much Hadham) married Elizabeth Bush in 1698 in Much Hadham
Susanne Hale (1710, Much Hadham - 1792, Furneux Pelham) married George Rayment in 1732 in Much Hadham