Author Topic: Adding an Image to the Personal Profile  (Read 6987 times)

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Adding an Image to the Personal Profile
« on: Tuesday 19 April 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
Helppppp,

I've been trying to add an image to my personal profile in lieu of a crest, but have signally failed to manage this.

I don't have a personal web site, so will need to download, if possible, direct from 'My Pictures' folder.  The image I wish to use has been saved as a 'gif' but could be saved in any other appropriate format.

Does anyone out there in cyberspace know how I can download the image?   If so, your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adding an Image to the Personal Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
I have read the reply from 'deadants' to 'rosanne' yesterday on this very subject and followed the procedure outlined but still without any success.  All I end up with is a little box with a red 'x' in it.

What am I doing wrong?
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi foxgloves,
     Could you make sure the file location on your hard drive is correct. I tend to put the files I wish to post on my desktop, that way I don't have to worry about nested directories. So give it a go by placing your picture on your desktop then when you  click the choose file button in your forum profile, it should be easy to find.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Foxglove,

try this link, and if that doesn't work, ask us again.

Beginners / How to Use RootsChat / Adding images to Posting & Profiles

Good Luck !
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
   Your link has to be the definitive guide to posting on the forum. I think I should make that a Sticky topic on the photo restoration board with your link in it.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 April 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
  :'(
I have saved the image I want to my desktop but still cannot get it onto my profile.  Help please.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
This is what I do. ;D

Make sure you save the image you want to upload from your `C'drive or whatever on your Desktop as a jpeg file . Check on your desktop it is there . Double click it and make sure it opens and looks ok close it down.

Go to Rootschat.com home page

Go to the top of the page and select `profile'

in your profile window, over to the left select `Forum profile information'

Click on the third option `I will upload my own crest'
then below that click on `Browse'

A small window opens up called `File Upload'
At the top click on the arrow to the right of the small window called `Look in'

You should now see an expanded directory of your computers hard drive contents. Near the top select `Desktop'
Look in desktop until you find the jpeg image file you want to upload.
Select the file and click on `open' near the bottom of the file upload window.

You should now see the name of the file you selected in the window called `browse' on your Forum profile information page

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on `change profile'

You're all finished.

Go look on any of your previous posts and your new avatar will be there.

Easy peasy

Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 05 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Janeswan,
     early-bird has described the procedure to the nth degree. I did a little picture tutorial for this just the other day. click this link.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,51314.msg203857.html#msg203857

deadants

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 05 08:02 BST (UK) »
nth degree indeed! ;D

I really think too often that we take it for granted that others know what we are talking about when we explain something `technica'l that is completly  familiar to us.

All too often today the instructions that come with technical products assume a certain knowledge already. This is quite wrong in my opinion and I curse when instructions say "do this or that" like we know already and don't explain how.

I would like to think that anybody including someone who has never used a PC before could follow my instructions and complete the task succesfully. That is after all the object of the exercise.
Earley bird steps down off the soapbox and promply falls on his face  ::)
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop