Author Topic: Marshall Family  (Read 26165 times)

Offline SKMarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 10 04:22 GMT (UK) »
"Isabella Staveley's parents were William Staveley b.1754 and Heinrietta Henderson."

Unless someone can finally show me documents or some solid proof of this, I'm still holding out that this Isabella Staveley born about 1786 in York is not the same Isabella Staveley that census records indicate was born closer to 1782 and was married to Anthony Marshall. I have researched this line out of curiosity and if you follow this Staveley tree you end up with Lt General William Stavelely as her brother, Maj-Gen Sir Charles William Dunbar Staveley as her nephew down through Adm. Sir William Doveton Minet Staveley.  There would seem to be some well to do carvers (I think William Staveley, Henrietta's husband, was a carver) the family is realted to in York as well.  The connection isn't impossible, I just haven't seen any solid proof that our Isabella Stavley is related to this line.

Quite a few of the Marshall sons were boot and shoe makers, cordwainers or leatherworkers of some kind.  Your Anthony's youngest brother John had a boot and shoe shop in Market Weighton up until John's oldest sons immigated to the U.S. (some say the first son to come over stowed away on a boat to get here) and then the rest of the family followed them in 1872. My great grand father Arthur Ivan Marshall ran our local boot shoe and repair store up until his death.  The family ran a shoe store in Weeping Water Nebraska from the time they settled there until it finally burned down sometime in the 1960's (I'd have to find the newspaper article for the exact date.). I think one of my uncles still has the old shoe making tools my great grandpa used.

"So Anthony Marshall c.1813 m. Frances Smith (1817 - 1881). Anthony appears on the census 1841 to 1881. He is a Cordwainer sometimes descibed as a master cordwainer which is a shoemaker. On the 1851  and 1861 census he has servants / apprentices living with him so must have been doing okay!"
Marshall (East Yorkshire), Staveley (East Yorkshire), Day (Worchestershire), Peden, Schmeeckle, Hirschmiller, Messinger/Moessinger, Ralston, Comstock, Harlan, Kandler (Nebraska/Wisconsin lines only), Theurer (Switzerland), Loibl, Mallory (East Yorkshire), Jones (Wales/East Yorkshire/Nebraska), Towse (East Yorkshire), Maw (East Yorkshire/Nebraska), Kohl (Nebraska), Roth (Illinois), Brownfield, McConnahay

Offline richarddoris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 July 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
My husband is a decendant of John Marshall and Charlotte Day who with their children emmigrated from Market Weighton to Weeping Water, Nebraska where we both grew up. John was born in 1830.  I remember fondly the shoe store mentioned in SKMarshall's post.  I would appreciate information going farther back in the Marshall or Stavely families.  I can provide information on those who went to Nebraska if anyone is interested.

Offline woowoobear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Richarddoris,

Would like to be in touch as I have a few photo's of my great grandfather's (he was a marshall) of cousins that were in the USA etc and I don't know where they fit in wondered if you could possibly help.

Offline maxsennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching the Cobb family of Lund, East Yorkshire.

I have a Benjamin Cobb marrying Jane Marshall in 1814.
A few of the male desendants have Marshall as their middle name

May have something to do with your family?

Regards

Neil

Offline richarddoris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 04:09 BST (UK) »
John Marshall 1830 and Charlotte Day 1826 had 10 children

Lucy 1851, Alfred L. 1852, Charles 1854, Mary Isabella 1856, John Thomas 1857, Paul J. 1859, William 1862, Louisa 1865, Arthur 1867 and Harry 1870. They came to Weeping Water in 1872. John opened a shoe store.

I have of the entire family including spouses and grandchildren taken before Charlotte died in 1891.  Most are identified.  Beyond that generation I currently only have decendants of William and Mary Isabella.  Their decendants stayed in Weeping Water. 
 If you have unidentified photos  of the American branch I may be able to help you. 

Offline SKMarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
richarddoris
"My husband is a decendant of John Marshall and Charlotte Day who with their children emmigrated from Market Weighton to Weeping Water, Nebraska where we both grew up. John was born in 1830.  I remember fondly the shoe store mentioned in SKMarshall's post.  I would appreciate information going farther back in the Marshall or Stavely families.  I can provide information on those who went to Nebraska if anyone is interested."

I'm a direct descendant of John and Charlotte's son Arthur Ulysess Marshall and his wife Olive Viola Ralston. John and Charlotte were my great great great grandparents.  I would love to compare trees with you sometime.  Did you happen to know my great aunt EuVah Marshall-Christie? Most of my research on the Marshalls is based on copies of her notes and letters.

Please feel free to send me a private message. :)
Marshall (East Yorkshire), Staveley (East Yorkshire), Day (Worchestershire), Peden, Schmeeckle, Hirschmiller, Messinger/Moessinger, Ralston, Comstock, Harlan, Kandler (Nebraska/Wisconsin lines only), Theurer (Switzerland), Loibl, Mallory (East Yorkshire), Jones (Wales/East Yorkshire/Nebraska), Towse (East Yorkshire), Maw (East Yorkshire/Nebraska), Kohl (Nebraska), Roth (Illinois), Brownfield, McConnahay

Offline SKMarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 05:10 BST (UK) »
maxsennett

"I have a Benjamin Cobb marrying Jane Marshall in 1814."

Can you tell me where they were married or if you have an approximate date/year of birth for Jane?  I know there were some Cobbs in the South/North Cliffe area but I haven't been able to find any link between my family and thiers yet.

SK Marshall

Offline woowoobear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
Richarddoris is you think you may be able to help with the pics I have please contact me on

Many thanks.

Offline maxsennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
the information I have is

Thomas Cobb was the son of Benjamin Cobb (b: 1786) and Jane Marshall, who married on 10 November 1814 in Lund, Beverley

Hope this helps

Regards

Neil

maxsennett

"I have a Benjamin Cobb marrying Jane Marshall in 1814."

Can you tell me where they were married or if you have an approximate date/year of birth for Jane?  I know there were some Cobbs in the South/North Cliffe area but I haven't been able to find any link between my family and thiers yet.

SK Marshall