Author Topic: gilbert family larne  (Read 11371 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: gilbert family larne
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kellie,

I guess your Great Grandfather may have been born around 1900.  There are still some families with the surname Gilbert in Larne and the area around Larne. The Phone Book for Northern Ireland 2003 listed four living in Larne. The Central Library in Belfast were unable to offer me current phone directories. I will ask the Linenhall Library when I am next in Belfast if they have current phone directories. There used to be one Phone Book for Northern Ireland. The last one was published in 2003. We now have several, I think six, for the area. Everyone I know is holding on, like grim death, to their 2003 directory as it covers the whole area. It is much easier to do a look up in one than search through six.

I looked at www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch and found five people with the Gilbert surname in Larne signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912.

Rose Gilbert, Kilwaughter
Agnes Gilbert, Kilwaughter
Mrs Gilbert, 5, Poaguestown
Robert Gilbert, Larne
William Gilbert, Kilwaughter

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 March 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
If you go to

192.com

and type Gilbert in name and Larne in place

it returns 3 telephone numbers/addresses plus indicates 21 Electoral Register entries (albeit you would need to pay to reveal addresses of the latter).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline FionaLorraine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I searched the Ulster Historical Foundation Database who list all the heads of households in Larne in 1901 - the town of Larne itself just.  The only two Gilberts I could find were:

GILBERT Robert Head 42 M P Blacksmith Bank Road   
GILBERT Matilda Wife 34 M P   Bank Road   

Palmer Website: www.davyboynorth.f2s.com/SamPalmer/00]SamPalmerStory.asp
Palmers, Barrs and McGarrys from Antrim/Ballyrobin/Muckamore/Crumlin
McAleaveys from Forkhill Co Armagh and then Whitewell/Glengormley
Traynors/Trainor from Larne then Whitewell/Glengormley also Glasgow

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 06 12:29 BST (UK) »
thanks  for every one looking and trying to help.  it would seem its just a brick wall...........i can't even find Elizabeth  little  or armstrong  or armstrong little   on any 1901  census  for england /Scotland  or any where else................... even try-ed wales.......................   am puzzled.........    but thanks again.    your all very kind.  :)
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 15 02:57 BST (UK) »
a Samuel Gilbert married Elizabeth Lyttle on 24 January 1921 in Larne district.                                           His father was also called Samuel and family lived at Sheriff's Land, Kilwaughter in 1911.                                                                       Her father was named as David Lyttle.                                                                                                      GRO Belfast ref: M/1921/M1/1646/8/44                   

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 March 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
a Samuel Gilbert married Elizabeth Lyttle on 24 January 1921 in Larne district.                                           His father was also called Samuel and family lived at Sheriff's Land, Kilwaughter in 1911.                                                                       Her father was named as David Lyttle.                                                                                                      GRO Belfast ref: M/1921/M1/1646/8/44                 

In case it is of help to anyone reading this old thread, the above Samuel's father died 2/11/1943. He died at the Royal Victoria hospital in Belfast. A 1944 'In Memoriam' notice can be found in the Larne Times from his wife, Rosetta, address Ballywillan, Cairncastle. Also mentioned is daughter Sara and son-in-law Hugh Lilley (wondering if he may have been same Hugh born c1902, son/adopted son of the late Robert Lilley of Meeting House Street). No mention of Samuel and Elizabeth in the notice. 

An Elizabeth Gilbert, wife of a Samuel, died at Smiley Hospital, Larne, in September 1954. Two sons mentioned in the notice.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .