Author Topic: Private Royal Cornwall Militia (1795) - Ages  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Footprints

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Private Royal Cornwall Militia (1795) - Ages
« on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:25 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know if there was an upper age limit in the Militia.  Sadly I know very little about them. ???  So if anyone could help me there would be very grateful.

I'm trying to narrow down possibly baptisms of one John HEARD married at Sandford, Devon in 1795, whose marriage licence says that he was "of Hartland" and a Private in the Royal Cornwall Militia.  Sadly he died 1802 too early for an age ::)  But in 1800, a "census" was taken by the vicar of Sandford of the parish, John was absent, but his wife and 2 children were living in the parish.  Course he could have just been away that day, but wondered if he might have been serving with his Militia somewhere... if indeed he was still in the Militia. 

Ultimately, he wasn't necessarily born at Hartland, but there are two possibilities for baptisms shown in the parish and I do believe that there are some earlier links there and possibly Morwenstow in Cornwall.  Hence why he may have joined the Cornwall Militia, as opposed to the Devon one.  If there was an upper age limit, then it may help rule out one possibility in the baptisms. 

Would also love to learn more about the Royal Cornwall Militia, if anyone knows where I could find out more.  Or any other idea's on how I might find more about my Militia ancestor.

Thank you for reading. ;D
Sue

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Private Royal Cornwall Militia (1795) - Ages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
Sue

The Militia at that time was for home defense only. Recruitment after 1793 (with the start of the war with France) was by "ballot", with men called up for three years, with recruits drawn from parishs across each county. These were originally not under the regular army, but at the disposal of the county Lord Lieutants. It was also usual for rich members of a parish to pay a substitute to go on their behalf if called up! They were deployed across the country on anti invasion duties in 1798, so an absence on militia duties is likely.

There does not appear to have been an upper age limit set down, but as the "ballot" was from a list approved by the local parish authorities, it is unlikely that he would have been over 40 or under 15. But as there were no birth certificates I do not think that this would ever have been a factor. The only question would have been "are you fit for duty?".

I know nothing of the Royal Cornwall Militia, but I would start with the county achieves. If they do not have anything they will direct you to likely records elsewhere. Hope this is of some use.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 20:58 BST (UK) »
Sue,

If you do a Google search for "Royal Cornwall Militia"

You will find lots of information which could be of help to you.

Good luck
Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Footprints

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 05 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rod and Tom,
Thank you to you both for your replies.  I hadn't thought of the years leading up to the Napoleonic Wars.  Interesting as 1798 is when their last child was born... "absent from home" in 1800, so it could be very likely that John was away on Militia duties. :)  Did find some information that the Royal Cornwall Militia were at Berry's Head in Brixham, Devon c1796-98ish, think it said.  Think they also might have been known as the Cornish Dragoons too.  I will do some further reading though and see what else I can discover.

Thank you again to you both for your ideas. ;D

Very grateful
Sue.

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 April 05 05:51 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Although I cannot say for sure, it is unlikely that he was a dragoon. These were cavalry soldiers; most Militia were infantry. It was more common for cavalry to be called "Yeomanry" if they were not part of the regular army.

You also said he was a Private. This is an infantry title. Cavalry were more usually known as Troopers. Hope this is of use,

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Footprints

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 April 05 09:24 BST (UK) »
Aw, thank you for that Rod!

But yes, it seems that he was definitely a Private - I had been thinking that sounded more like infantry.  But wouldn't have known that Dragoons were Calvarly soldiers, so that is useful to know. :) 

I can see that I have lots to learn haven't I. ;D  But very grateful for the infomation.  I'll perhaps contact Cornwall Record Office and see if they have any records there such as Militia Rolls. 

Thank you again!
Sue  ;)