Author Topic: William SLY  (Read 8111 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
William SLY
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help me with some info of verification of William SLY.  He arrived Sydney 1841 Joseph Cunnard with wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson.  ... I have found info through other family members message boards that he died in 1842 - Lost at Sea - presumed dead.(Launceston Tasmania)  This was in 1842.
This is the 3rd time I have found this info but cant verify it.  Also stated is that his wife Sarah SLY (nee Doyle) died 6/12/1850 buried St David's Hobart.  The other members of the family i.e. the Keenans - stayed in Sydney.

Could SKS please help me verify this info or steer me in the right direction.

Regards Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William - Colonial Times 1842
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »

Colonial Times 14 June 1842 has mention of The Edward missing on travel from Circular Head to Launceston. Passengers names given, and include Mr Sly.

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Re: William SLY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 February 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

At long last some confirmation.  Thank you so very much ;D.  I will have a look to see if I can find a copy of the digitised copy of this paper..

Perhaps then it is true that is was a Captain in the Yeomanry guards, Ferns, Wexford Ireland were true also.

Once again thank you

Regards Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 11 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adcor,

The family who arrived on the Joseph Cunnard were William SLY, 39, a blacksmith, Sarah his wife, 37, and children Mary Ann, 20, George, 17, a blacksmith, Sarah, 15, John, 13, and Benjamin, 8.

I have had a look at various trees on Ancestry, and bearing in mind that they are all copied from each other, the story seems to be that William was on the schooner Edward when it was lost in 1842.  They also have William born in 1786!!

Here is a mention of the Edward  
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c23/

They also state that James SLY born c1813 who married and lived in Tasmania was the son of the William and Sarah who arrived in 1841.  

Link to James' Tasmanian details (these are not always correct on this site)
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=P&id=351166

The Sarah SLY who died in 1850 is buried with members of this James' family (according to TAMIOT) and was aged 62.  She was possibly the mother of James.  Your Sarah would have been aged around 46 in 1850.

http://eheritage.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/resources/detail.aspx?KEYWORDS=sly&ID=HBFH_10149

So, no this is not likely to be your Sarah, and though there may have been a William SLY onboard the Edward, I strongly doubt that it was William SLY the blacksmith.  The most obvious first step for you is to ask these people how they have connected your William and Sarah to these people in Tasmania.

Debra  :)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Thank you for the info - I appreciate it.  Your opinion on this would be appreciated.  Williams wife Sarah (nee Doyle)was also born Ferns around 1791.  So she would have been around 61yrs old at her death.  Their children are James 1812, Alice 1814, (my descendant who arrived on the Cunard under her married name of Keenan with husband and child,Mary Ann 1818, William 1822, George 1824, Sarah1827, John 1829, Benjamin 1834.  Could only verify a couple of these.

Would you agree that the Sarah who died in 1850 and buried with members of James family and was aged 62 is my Sarah.  Your advice would be appreciated

Regards Adcord (Debra also)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 11 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adcord,

The Sarah SLY who arrived on the Joseph Cunard was 37 years old, so born around 1804, not 1791.  Her husband William was born around 1802, and they would not have had a son in 1813.  They had 5 children onboard - I do not see a son William. 

Alice KEENAN states that her parents names are William and Sarah SLY, and claimed to be aged 22 on her immigration application, but aged 24 on the manifest.

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra.

Thank you for looking at this for me.  I am going to have to go back to the drawing board.  Unfortunately, the person who had this info has not changed his email address which is not the correct one.

Once again thank you - it's really good to have another person take a look and give valid reasons for and against.

Regards

Adcord (Debbie)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 11 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi adcor,

This would probably be where the idea came from
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c26/

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Thanks for the information.  It matches the Benjamin Sly I have.

Thanks again ;D

Debbie - Adcord