Author Topic: Montacute - The family, the place and and a name change!  (Read 4997 times)

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
Montacute - The family, the place and and a name change!
« on: Monday 28 February 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Two sides of my family come from Montacute, Somerset, and over the years each generation of the two families lived on Bishopstone St. I have some numbers for the addresses they lived at, but don't know if these are the same as the current numbers. Does anyone have any old maps or know where I could find out about this street, as well as what montacute was like in general in the 1800's.

Also another side of my family is the Montacute's who lived in Odcombe, Somerset. Walter Montacute born c1816, son of Edward and Elizabeth lived there for most of his life, and I am related through his daughter Mary Ann. However there is some confusion over a possible name change. At some point in time part of the family have changed their name to Low/Lowe. What's strange is that at one point members of the same family are living next door, but with different names.

Mary Ann married as a Montacute, but on her son's birth certificate gave her maiden name as Low. Walter is always a Montacute but then in 1891 becomes a Lowe. I have heard from a relative of another of Walter's children who was also aware of this discrepancy.

Any help/ideas would be wonderful!

Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Montacute - The family, the place and and a name change!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 08:58 GMT (UK) »
http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/Maps/OS62htm/8215.htm

This map shows Bishopston, to the right of St Michaels Hill. Not a lot of detail but gives an idea of the area.

Have you googled ' Montacute' as there is often a website for a particular village which has links to details of its history etc.
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Can't seem to find a website just about Montacute, but thank you ever so much for the map, it's great to get a better idea about how big it acutally was back then - and Odcombe!

Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline dools1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
The Montacute/ Low name issue was as old as the 1730s. Living in Montacute was a Thomas and Elizabeth. Their children (Thomazine, Betty, John, Petter, Edward) have a mixture of Low and Montacute surnames . under Petter (2/9/1750) is recorded the following
"Petter the son of Thomas Low, alias Montacute and his wife Elizabeth.." Was he baseborn from the Montacute household to a "Low" mother? I have looked but not found.
We are decended from Heber, who went to wales and changed surname to Montague and eventually lost the Heber part (using his second name)
Your Edward is the grandson of Thomas.. via John (1747) and wife Mary Hockey. Edward was born 11/5/1777 and moved to live in Coker with his wife Elizabeth

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)