Author Topic: Ballaghaderreen and the Rock Family  (Read 5629 times)

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ballaghaderreen and the Rock Family
« on: Wednesday 20 April 05 06:46 BST (UK) »
I know so little about the Irish side of my family which is strange since I knew my grandfather very well.  It was his father John Rock who came to England after 1871 and married Alice Cunningham.  My grandfather was their youngest child  his name was Ernest and he and his brother Michael once went back to Ireland (at least once) to visit family in Ballaghaderreen (I think).

Painfully I have pieced some of the family together.  John's dad was Michael Rock who married Margaret in about 1859.  They were born about 1840 in Ireland.  Michael and Margaret and it seems some of their family came over to England after 1881 and before 1891.  With them was their sons Michael and Patrick and their daughter Margaret and their grandson Michael (son of the younger Michael).  John was already in Bolton Lancashire where he and they settled.

Anyone got any ideas how I can trace them?  Do we have any Rock(es) looking for their relatives on Rootschat?  Even if you don't think you are my relative I do have some leads I can share.

Frances
FB

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ballaghaderreen and the Rock Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi YukonHall,

Can't help directly with your query but thought this link might help. It gives the address of the Genealogy centre for that area. And a load more info on the area.

http://www.visitroscommon.ie/tour2.asp

Hope it helps you some bit.

Angela.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Angela I hadn't seen that page before.  Roscommon looks like a great place to visit.

Frances
FB

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 15:15 BST (UK) »
Frances
 how lucky are you the Rocks on the BVRI goes back to 1770 on hear and most of them Roscommon I will PM you about them

audrey

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,

You should try google searching with just Ballaghaderreen and there are loads of touristy and history pages. You never know what you might find.

Angela.