Author Topic: Agnes Reid, Banffshire  (Read 9427 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Reid, Banffshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
have you looked at the 1805 marriage for thomas wright ?
would it say batchelor or widower  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev
No mention of widower or bachelor in the 1805 marriage record. I wasn't suprised because I haven't see any such nomenclature in other OPR marriage records.
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
would it say batchelor or widower  :-\

I have never seen the bridegroom's marital status mentioned in a pre-1855 marriage record.

I have occasionally seen a bride described as a widow in her second marriage record, but this isn't always done. For example, the marriage of Margaret Sang, widow of Andrew Watt, was recorded in two different parishes, Arbroath and Brechin (in Angus). One noted that she was a widow, the other didn't:

"1834, 26th June. James Hay merchant in Arbroath and Margaret Sang, widow, residing in Timber Market in this parish were contracted in order to marriage and having been regularly proclaimed were married the 30th June." [Brechin Parish Register]

"1834. Contracted May 27, James Hay merchant in Arbroath and Margaret Sang in Brechin. Married June 30." [Arbroath Parish Register]

and neither mentions the name of her deceased husband.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR
I regret I have not responded to your earlier posting dated 4 March
I have looked through the MI's in St Mary's Kirkyard in Banff which were transcribed from the Spalding Club records. Thomas Wright and Henrietta Cameron are recorded there but sadly I have not see any reference to Agnes.
Do you know how extensive the St Mary's Kirk session records are and if they are available at the NAS?
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Re Kirk Session minutes. Try the on-line catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland and see if it gives details of what they hold for Banff Kirk Session.

Graham.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2
As you suggested I looked up the NAS online catalogue and it has the Kirk Session records for St Mary's Banff. Fortunately I will only have look through its pages for the period 1803 to 1805. Wish me luck!!
colincam

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 March 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2
I have now managed to visit the NAS and inspect the various documents from the Kirk Session of St Mary's Church in Banff. Unfortunately I found no mention of Agnes Reid, her "husband" or her parents in the documents I looked at. In particular amongst the many accused of fornication, there was no reference to Agnes and Thomas Wright so that suggests they were marrried after all.
Accordingly I have no idea where to look next.
colincam