Author Topic: SENNITT family, mostly of Stretham  (Read 3206 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SENNITT family, mostly of Stretham
« on: Tuesday 01 March 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Anyone interested in this family?  I have a one-name study for SENNETT registered, and out of interest I decided to investigate this spelling of it - pretty much all of whom seem to link back to common ancestors in Stretham in the early 1700's.  A few moved on to Essex, London, and Yorkshire later.  I don't think they are going to link at all with the other SENNETT families in my study, but you never know. 

If you do have a connection to Cambridgeshire SENNITTs, or London or Essex ones, or  Joseph SENNITT in and around Worsborough or Bradford, then please get in touch with me.  It will be good to share and check information. 

BTW - I've probably got in excess of 350 linked names in this group, and that doesn't count all the spouses with a different surname.

Offline Dubya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SENNITT family, mostly of Stretham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 02:23 BST (UK) »
G'Day Corinne,

Jane Sennitt married James Benstead Whetstone (my 3C3R) at Witchford in 1867.
They had a daughter, Kate Jane, who was born at Wentworth in 1868 and baptized at Witchford in 1869.
The 1870 US census shows the family living in Washington, Indiana.
I have not as yet attempted to pursue their lives any further.

Census records suggest that Jane was born at Stretham c.1834 and that she was a d/o William and Alice.
Can you please confirm this and provide any baptism details?
Also do you know Alice's maiden name?

Cheers,
David.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
William Sennit married Alice Jackson 1832 Stretham, Cambs. per Boyds Marriage Index (don't show full dates).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Children of William and Alice baptised Stretham:

Mary bp.3/2/1833
Jane bp.28/12/1834
William Jackson bp.28/5/1837, bur.7/11/1840
Elizabeth bp.23/6/1839
William Jackson bp.19/9/1841

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dubya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette.
Much Appreciated.
David.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, Annette has given you most of what I have on the immediate family, though I can clarify the marriage date of William SENNITT and Alice JACKSON as being 7 february 1832 at Stretham, Cambridgeshire.

I can also take the SENNITT line back considerably further:  William was christened 28 Apr 1805 at Stretham, and buried 4 feb 1880, also at Stretham.   Alice was born abt 1805 in Cambridgeshire, and was buried 2 mar 1865 at Stretham.  William was the son of William SENNITT and Mary LOE/LOWE (married 8 oct 1798 at Stretham - Mary was Williams second, of three, wives).  William was christened 8 aug 1773 in Stretham, and buried 1 feb 1853 in Stretham.  Mary (Loe/Lowe) was buried 14 apr 1812 in Stretham.  William (senior) was the son of John SENNITT and Jane HITCH.  John was born about 1743 and buried 14 oct 1798 in Stretham.  Jane (Hitch) was burned 29 jan 1781 in Stretham.  John and Jane HITCH married 11 jul 1768 in Stretham.  I believe John to be the son of John SENNITT and Elizabeth WOODLAND who were married 22 March 1741 at Cambridge St Edward, Cambridgeshire.  John (senior) was christened 31 aug 1719 at Stretham and buried 27 May 1792.  He was the son of Francis SENNITT (1685-1738) and Damaris READE (died 1738).  Francis was christened 31 jan 1685 at Cottenham, Cambridgeshire to parents John SENNITT and Susanna FULLSTONE, who were married 31 mar 1681 at Cambridge St Edwards.    John was christened 24 mar 1660 at Cottenham to parents Arthur SENNITT and Susan FOREMAN, who were married 18 apr 1660 at Cottenham.  Arthur died 30 may 1710 and was buried 1 jun 1710 at Cottenham.  I believe Arthur to be the son of Thomas SEINNET (chr 21 mar 1590, Cottenham and buried 15 nov 1661, Cottenham) and his wife Elizabeth.   Thomas is probably a son of Bartholomew SENETT who was buried 4 feb 1592 at Cottenham All Saints.    This information has come from parish registers. 

Offline Dubya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
G'Day Corinne,

Thanks for this.  There is no such thing as too much information when researching one'e family, even in he branch of a distant cousin's in-laws.  There is always the possibility of finding another family connection in another generation.

I don't have ready access to the Stretham parish registers (or transcripts) but indexes on the Cambs Family History Society's website suggest to me that the majority of the brides that you mentioned were also natives of Stretham.  In fact I strongly suspect that Alice Jackson was baptized there in 1813.

Cheers,
David.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
Familysearch seems to have the Cambridgeshire Bishops Transcripts online, if you want to check those out.

I'm not sure if you were aware, but Jane Sennitt had two children (as a single woman) before her marriage to James Whetstone - Martha Ann born 1857 but bapt 28 jan 1866, and Elizabeth Mary born 1859 but bapt 16 apr 1859 (bapt records giving just mother Jane, single woman).  These two children appear on the 1861 census at 20 Main St, Stretham, Cambridgeshire:  Head of household William SENNITT and wife Alice, with daughter Jane and grandchildren Martha A and Elizabeth M SENNITT.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 October 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
David (and anyone else interested in any form of this surname S-NN-T),
I have recently made the decision to put up my entire surname study (Sennett, Sennitt, Sinnott, Sinnett, Synnott etc) research database on the surname study website.  Dates and places, but excluding notes (which are available to family researchers if you contact me).  There has been a slight glitch in that too many people have been marked as living when they aren't, but I'll try to fix that with the next upload.    This is to be considered a "working database" where I am inviting collaboration from researchers of any of the individual families, so if you spot any errors or omissions, please do let me know.   http://sennett.one-name.net/