Author Topic: William Hicks and Jane Barnes - Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 10506 times)

Offline paulagill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hicks and Jane Barnes - Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 March 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Oh I can't wait to hear the story about the policeman!!! My email address is (*). Any hicks stories will be gratefully received.

Paula

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline pauldob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
they're my wife's GGGgrandparents as well. I've found some interesting Hicks stories, but never heard of PC Pigg! I have seen the Hicks plot in Walker cemetery - quite an impressive monument at one time - but didn't know about the Heworth gravestones

Offline paulagill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Glad to see another family member!  Which child of William hicks and Jane Barnes is your wife related too? I am related to James Hicks (1827-1873) through his son Isaac (1863). Isaac's wfe Isabella Patterson was previously married to William Hicks (Joseph Hicks' son), Isaac's cousin but he died very shortly after they were married. Isabella had a sister Frances, whom we believe was William Barnes Hicks' third wife and had three children with him. There is certainly a Frances Patterson taking care of his children after his second wife committed suicide. Then in the next census she is listed as Frances P Hicks and has three children?!  We are convinced it is Isabella's sister, as both Isabella and Frances called their daughter Lilias Amory Hicks, which we believe is their mother's name (she died when they were both very young).

I have the story about PC Pigg, which was sent to me by Steve, which I could email you if you would like. Better use a personal message though, I didn't before and got told off!  Plus any of your Hicks stories would be great.

Take care

Paula

Offline pauldob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Paula - I've dug around and also made he link between Frances and Isabella Patterson, and managed to trace their family back a bit. There have been several instances of children in workhouses (including some in West Ham seamen's orphanage, despite them being from Tyneside). My wife descends from Isaac Hicks 1840 (your James's younger brother), his daughter Margaret Jane Renforth Hicks (1868-1907), her daughter Miriam Bell, and her daugther Joyce Henderson.

I'll try and sort out a PM if I can work out how to send one!

regards

Paul

Offline pauldob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
...and I have four wives for W B Hicks!

Offline paulagill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 April 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, 

I am glad you have been able to agree that Frances and Isabella are related.  You also said that you managed to trace their family - how far back did you get? We have a copy of their mother Eliza and father' Henry's marriage certificate which lists his father as Mark Patterson (gentleman's servant) and hers as Thomas Amory. We have been able to find a Thomas Amory and family, but nothing for Mark Patterson. Let me know if you found anything that I have missed.

And as for William Barnes Hicks - poor man didn't have much luck with his wives did he? What names have you got for them all and do you agree that Frances was the last one?

Paula

Offline pauldob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Paula - the wives of WB Hicks:1) Elizabeth Anderson, who is the mother of Ann and William, and who died 1857. she was buried 19/04/1857 Jesmond Old cemetery grave IX CON D6-2. Also there are Edward and Sarah Anderson

2)Isabella McArthur, mother of Amelia, Jane, Mary, John, & Eleonor. Died about 1876/77

3) Isabella Blacklock, no children. Buried Jesmond Old cemetery 20/05/1879, grave IX CON D6-1. Marriage record for William Barnes Hick q3 1878 to Isabella Blacklock. Death record for Isabella Hicks q2 1879, b 1845.

4) Frances Patterson, mother of Henry, James, and Lill(i)as.

I hadn't found Henry Patterson's parents, but I did find his brother William (Mark 1862 was with his uncle Wiliam in 1871). Now I have his father's name, which matches his son's name - thanks for that.

I've sent you a PM with my email - if you could send anything on the HIcks family, I'd be grateful. Regards, Paul

Offline pauldob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Paula - I've done a bit more checking on WB Hicks, and there were only (!) three wives. Isabella Blacklock did not marry him, and the burial record I had for her referred to Isabella McArthur. The incorrect connection arose from my getting the marriage record for WB HIcks 1853 to Elizabeth Jane Carsley mixed up with his father. Thanks for prompting me to correct this.

regards

Paul

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 August 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
I've just found this thread, better late than never.

Thomas Hicks born about 1844, married Jane Ann Smith in 1865 at Newcastle
Jane Ann died in 1878 and in 1881 census 4 of her children are in Tynemouth workhouse.
Thomas cannot be found on the 1881 census
In the newspapers his death is reported - Jarrow Express 28 December 1883 - Deaths
"Walker - At Ship Inn, Bill Point, on the 23rd inst. age 40, Thomas Hicks"

The Ship Inn is mentioned a lot in family documents!

One of the boys in the workhouse, William married my grandpa's sister Martha Jane and he was a coalminer at Throckley NBL, then Ryton in Co Durham. In 1939 he was in a former workhouse in Howden YKS near his daughters family. He died in 1941 in Howden and is buried in ....?

I'd like to know the story of PC Pigg too:-)  PM me please.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE