Author Topic: Phorpres House, Peterborough and Mile End Road  (Read 15663 times)

Offline sadiemc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phorpres House, Peterborough and Mile End Road
« on: Wednesday 02 March 11 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking at two places connected with my family history and a research project I am doing about railway and brick workers. I am trying to learn more about the history of Phorpres Houses and Mile End Road (which I think is now St Margaret's Road).
Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks
Sadie
Robinett, Semmence, McMullon, Innes, Thompson, Howie, Stratton, Trobe, Margetson, Whittingham, Newell, Knock,

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phorpres House, Peterborough and Mile End Road
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »
With any project like this, the best first port of call is always the local library, and then the museum.  Unfortunately Peterborough museum is in the process of moving to new premises, so it's currently closed to the public for quite some time.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colin buckle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Phorpres House has now been turned into flats. Previously it was offices I think for London Brick. I would have thought that a call or letter to London Brick would help, they must have some archives I would think.
https://colinbuckle.wordpress.com/genealogy/
Barrell, Bruce, Buckle, Ramsbotham (Suffolk), Meacham, Barber, Bishop, Bowers (Cambs)

Offline sadiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 11 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Thankyou for this. I live just down the road from Phorpres House so am quite familiar with it's current history so contacting the company seems a good idea for it's original purpose.

By the way I had a look at your website and found it fascinating. Was it hard to create as I have considered doing a website for my research but am a bit daunted by the options.

Sadie
Robinett, Semmence, McMullon, Innes, Thompson, Howie, Stratton, Trobe, Margetson, Whittingham, Newell, Knock,

Offline colin buckle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sadie

I didn't realise you are local too. Websites are fairly easy using software made for the job. Easier still if you use a blogging site, something like wordpress is probably the easiest.

Colin
https://colinbuckle.wordpress.com/genealogy/
Barrell, Bruce, Buckle, Ramsbotham (Suffolk), Meacham, Barber, Bishop, Bowers (Cambs)

Offline brickieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there, just a piece of info for you.

i have a book by the London brick company and it says the phorpres house was built in late 1890's- 1896 to be precise, and also shows a picture of it being built..and it was known firstly as the Coffee Palace.

kind regards

Offline sadiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for that. I wondered if you could let me have the details of the book. Also what is your interest in the brickyards?

Thankyou again.

Offline brickieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Iv'e always been interested in local history, fletton and woodston , and i only live a stones throw away from phorpres house.

the book is called 'clay that burns' and it is all about the fletton brick making industry and is a fabulous read.

the book is out of print as it was published in 1981, there might be the odd copy on ebay, but you could borrow my copy if you live local

kind regards

Offline sadiemc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

By coincidence I was reading that book in the library at the weekend but had not noticed that particular picture. Next time I am in the library I will take a look.

I too live in Fletton, opposite St Margaret's Church, and am doing postgraduate research on migration into Fletton 1841-1891 in connection with the railways and brickyards.

I would be very interested ina ny local history information that you may have. I would of course acknowledge within my thesis any information taht you give me.

Thanks in anticipation
Sadie