Author Topic: Brother and Sister - Elizabeth and Thomas Jones  (Read 3488 times)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brother and Sister - Elizabeth and Thomas Jones
« on: Wednesday 02 March 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to resolve oustanding problems. Hugh Jones married Elizabeth  ? circa 1812 maybe in Derwen or Clocaeniog. They lived Bryn Cyffo Clocaenog after marriage and had four children and I cannot trace a baptism for Elizabeth circa 1815 and Thomas circa 1823. The two middle daughters were baptised at Clocaenog Church in 1817 and 1820.I have searched surrounding parishes but I need local knowledge.The family did have later connection to a Chapel at Melin -y -  Wig
Are there any available records for that chapel or do Rootschatters have further suggestions. ?
Any assistance will be much appreciated. John.
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Brother and Sister - Elizabeth and Thomas Jones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Had a look for you and I cannot see Thomas or Elizabeth being baptised in 1815 and 1823. Can I just ask who the other 2 children were as I would like to see what names Hugh and Elizabeth went under.  I am just wondering if Hugh was not his full name as there are a few Thomas and Elizabeth's with a Mother Elizabeth in the right area and dates but not with Hugh as a Father. I just wondered if he used a middle name or something like that?
Also if you do a search for St Foddhyd Church, Clocaenog you can find out about the church and the area around it. It is quite interesting. Also any Baptisims or Marriages for the years you want can be found at the Denbighshire Record Office at Ruthin.  Or they have microfische records only at National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.  Maybe someone who lives near by would be kind enough to have a look for you.  Might also be an idea to put this same post on the Denbighshire site here on Roots.

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John. I also have a Hugh Jones from that area. I haven't researched him yet but I know he had a sister called Kate. The family lived in Clocaenogand I think I might have a photo somewhere. I wonder if it could be the same person?
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »

Hello John,

I am afraid I cannot help with the Joneses;  but I thought that you might like to see some evidence about the owners of the farm that I have noticed -- whether out of mere curiosity,  or because their family papers might just be discoverable in some public archive and could include rent rolls or land agents' correspondence.

I lifted the will abstract below from  Genealogical abstracts of Parry wills, proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury down to 1810, with the administrations for the same period,  brought together by Col. Gilbert S. Parry and published by George Sherwood in 1911 -- now available online via the Internet Archive.

I rather suspect that "Hendre & Bryncyffo" should have been written (or transcribed) without that "&" in the middle.

The tithe apportionment schedule for Gwyddelwern would provide some evidence of ownership a generation further on.

THE REV. WILLIAM PARRY, Clerk, Warden of Ruthin, Denb.

Whereas I settled on my w. Elizabeth, £50 yearly, sd. annuity to be pd. out of the rents of my farm of Hendre & Bryncyffo, p. of Gwyddelwern, Mer. Sd. freehold & my farm called Tymawr, p. of Llanfawr, Mer., in the occ. of Mr Humphrey Williams, to my w. for life, she paying annuities of £25 to my sister Eleanor, w. of Evan Thomas, and 10 gs. to Mrs Elizabeth Edwards, my mother in law. After the death of my w., the estate called Hendre to my bro. Howell Parry, and estate in the p. of Llanfawr to my nephews & niece, Rich. Richards, the elder, Esq., Griffith and Wm. Richards, and Mary Richards, spinster. Sd. bro. Howell, £600. Sister Ann Evans, £400. To Rich. Richards £400 in trust for my sister Catherine, w. of Thos. Richards. Eliz. Williams, daughter of Mr Humphrey William's, £50. The Rev. Owen Owen, Curate of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, £50. My servant, David Williams, £50. Servant Eliz. Morris, £50. Servant Elianor Jones, £20. Rev Owen Owen & Mr Robert Williams, of Bala, grocer, £860, upon trust to pay the interest to my w. Elizabeth for life; after to sd. bro. Howell £150, to sister Ann Evans, she having many young gr. chn., £360, to sd. Rich. Richards, £150, upon trust, to Geoffrey Richards upon trust, £200. To trustees, £20 apiece. The £150 trust to the use of my sister, Cath. Richards; the £200 trust for the use of my sister Elinor Thomas. Res. to my w., exx. Wit.: Jas. Jones, Clerk, Rich. Roberts, sadler, John Jones, Attorney, Ruthin.
Dated 18 Feb. 1803; Adm., 15 May 1804, to Eliz. Williams, sp., niece and exx. to Elizabeth Parry, wid., decd. the exx.                                                                                                                               (348 Heseltine)

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all you kind Rootschatters for your responses. Since my posting I have discovered a family will which shows the maiden name of Elizabeth - the mother - as Roberts and that she and Hugh married at Llandrillo.
However I still seek the missing baptisms.
The two middle daughters who were baptised at Clocaenog Church were Ellin on 5.4.1817 and Catrin on 19.2.1820 - I believe the parents were named as Hugh and Elizabeth Jones. The postings mentioned by Heather were old postings of mine - but thank you very much.  John.

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I wish to thank Sandymc47 for the information about St Foddhyd Church - I have had a quick look and will examine in detail later.
Rob - thany you for much information about the farm - my people may well have been tenants.
Liverpool Lass - a very interesting reply and I will be grateful of more information and hopefully the photo.
I am sure that with your assistance my queries will be resolved - we must never give up !! John.

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry John. I went back to my notes to look for Hugh and found mine was actually called Humphrey!! All of hubby's Jones/Evans rellies are from Clocaenog since the mid 1850's and his Grandfather Lewis was Vicar of Derwen (which I noticed appears in one of your other posts) from 1930 -1956.
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli