Author Topic: McGinnis/ McGuinness  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Terese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGinnis/ McGuinness
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 October 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Raymond. The very little I know is from their marriage certificate from 24 DEC 1914 ST MARY'S CHURCH, ERSKINEVILLE NSW Australia ( Sydney suburb). See attachment.Alex and my great grandmother did not have children. I have also attached a photo of their wedding
I would love to be able to fill in a little more about Alexander if you could assist
Thanks Terese, Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia.

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terese thank you for posting that pic it is the first time ive seen anyone of that generation. I dont seem to be able to trace a previous marriage for alexander in ireland perhaps he married in scotland as i believe this family left ireland to go there at some stage. if you check previous posts on this thread you will see a user called bluebell i believe her to be decended from Catherine Mcguinness a sister of your Alexander. The details in his wedding cert ring familiar in regards to the profession of blacksmith as that was in his background. Alexander was one of 11 children born to John McGuinness and Margaret Ann Hegarty aka Peggy Ann.  His siblings were Susan b 1855, John b 1857, Patrick b 1859, George b 1862 Mary b 1864, Margaret b 1866, Elizabeth b 1868, Alexander himself born 22nd January 1871,  James Cherry b 1873 Catherine Jane b 1876 and William b 1877. Alexander's grandfather was also Alexander McGuinness known as Alick he was a farmer and had a blacksmith's shop he died in 1862 as did his wife Susan maiden name ive not been able to find out.
Alick and Susan had 5 children Margaret Ann (Peggy Ann) she married Hugh Logue in 1858 thats were my family fit in. Alexander , John that married Margaret Ann Hegerty, James and Charles.  I hope you can figure all that out Terese. if you cant source any info on the places in ireland like the chapel were they all would have worshipped and sourrounding countryside i may have some pics i could post up let me know.  My father was William James Logue b 1929 my grandfather John Logue b 1899 My GreatGrandfather James Logue b 1863 and he would have been a first cousin to your Alexander McGuinness 8 years of a difference in age they would have known eachother well im certain of it.  best regards Ray Logue any other queries just ask

Offline k3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 May 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information about the Leach/Leech/Leitch family of Glack, Ballykelly.  My great-grandfather, Abraham Leech, was born in Glack in 1861 to William Leech and his wife Mary Ann (nee McIvor).  Beyond this, my research has turned up only a few possible Leech connections which I have found difficult to confirm.

I think William died in 1878 at the residence of his sister, Susan McGuinnies, in Sistrakeel.  There is a headstone in St. Finlough’s graveyard for Alexander McGinnis (died 16 November 1909, aged 95 years), his wife Susan (died 28 March 1902, aged 75 years), his daughter Catherine (died 17 February 1904, aged 38 years) and son William (died 29 January 1926, aged 70 years).

Does anyone know if and how these people connect to the Alexander and Susan in previous posts?

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 May 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi K3 yes the headstone refers to Alexander Mcguinness and his wife Susan Leech. The Alexander on the headstone is the son also of the Alexander (Alick) Mcguinness died 1862 and Susan died also 1862 I have not been able to find out her maiden name and probably will not either as records do not cover the time of her marriage or birth. They had one daughter Margaret-Ann Mcguinness my great great grandmother and four sons in total Alexander who married Susan Leech, John who married Margaret-Ann Hegarty and James and Charles I'm not sure if these two survived got married or left Ireland. I hope I have been helpfull and haven't been complicated in my reply. Best regards Raymond Logue

Offline k3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 May 18 06:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Raymond for replying so quickly to my post.  Your information has helped to confirm the link between the Leech and McGuinness families in my tree.  Since you have lived in Ballykelly and are very familiar with the families from that area, do you know anything more about the ancestry of Susan Leech?  I have isolated facts about Leachs but am unable to confirm connections between them.

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 May 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi K3 it might be difficult to trace further back than Susan Leech however there were a few in the census of 1831 living in the townland of Glack. One seems to stand out as a possible ancestor of Susan and that is one Abraham and Leech my only reason for saying this is that amongst the 8 children of Alexander Mcguinness and Susan Leech they had one son called Joseph Abraham Mcguinness born 17/July/1867. They had 7 other children
William Mcguinness born 25/December/1855
Susanna Mcguinness born 12/November/1858
Joseph Mcguinness born 2nd/October/1860
Mary Teresa Mcguinness born 19/March/1862
Alexander Mcguinness born 16/December/1863
Catherine Mcguinness born 22/August/1865
John Mcguinness born 23rd/June/1869

Of all these only one Susanna had a godparent who was Leech him being Patrick Leech. May well be a brother of Susan Mcguinness nee Leech.
All these children therefore are first cousins to my great grandfather James Logue born 1863.
I found most of this information on rootsireland.ie and the Irish Census online also Irish genealogy. ie
I have asked my family and it seems there is no one of the name Leech living in those areas where they once were anymore but I could be wrong. Hope this helps you  let me know if I can help you further.

Offline k3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Raymond.  I appreciate your efforts to try to trace Leech ancestors and descendants for me.  I agree that the name Abraham Leech sounds like an ancestor of my great grandfather, so the challenge for me now is to make the elusive connection.  If your family history research ever turns up any other Leech connection, I would be pleased to hear about it.

Offline dmcginnis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 March 22 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Greetings all - I am new to this site and hoping that some of you might have information that might help my search; however, my dates are likely way too early.  Let me share why I am posting in this here first.  Recently, I got some 3rd-5th DNA matches from MyHeritage and all of those shared matches led to an Alexander McGinnis - whom I think is the same family as mentioned in this series of posts.  That was highly interesting, because my oldest known ancestor is a William McGinnis born in America in 1750 - much earlier than the Alexander mentioned here.  I believe my William is the son of a Thomas McGinnis likely born in 1710 in County Down according to some family trees, but we do not have actual evidence of that.  If Thomas had siblings that stayed in Ireland, that would be a possible connection to the family lines of Alexander McGinnis.  Secondly, my BigY DNA results place my line right next to two men named Leach/Leech who show oldest known ancestors in the mid-1700s living in America.  Another of my Y-DNA cousins lives in Eglinton and his family has always beein in that area.  The posts in this string lead me to conjecture that the McGinnis/Leach Y-DNA connection might be found in the Ballykelly area.  So, I am posting here to see if anyone can offer suggestions for my research directions.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Offline dmcginnis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 March 22 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Allow me to share a little more information.  I contacted the managers of the two Leach Y-DNA lines that are close to my own line.  Both of them list a Zadock Leach as the earliest known ancestor who was born in America.  Neither of them know of an Ireland connection (but I am sharing all this wiith them to keep the informed).  Does anyone see the name Zadock in the Derry region as a forename?

Thanks,
Dave