Author Topic: George E. Simmons & Dora Turner/Charity Waller of Essex  (Read 22125 times)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George E. Simmons & Dora Turner/Charity Waller of Essex
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 March 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
To help sort out the maiden name of the Dora married to George Simmons and in every census living in Chigwell Essex I would buy the birth certificate of one of the other children
Rhis one looks good.
George Alfred Simmons March 1/4 1867 reg district Epping vol 4a page 82. That will give the maiden name of his mother and see if it is a Dora Turner or someone else but as I have said before I can't see how these are the same families.

Offline 092086

• Sorry my emails are not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 March 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I'm a little new to this - where can I purchase a copy of the birth certificate?
cornwall -> earl, may, scott
essex -> simmons

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 March 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
This is FreeBMD where you can search for births deaths and marriages from Sept quarter 1837 onwards.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Below is the site where you order the certs online using the exact spellings for the name that you see on FreeBMD even though sometimes it is incorrect.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

It is maddening not to be able to find a marriage reg for either of the George Simmons marriages to Dora
The only marriage reg is that of  George and Charity.
Marriages Sep 1850
Simmonds  George  or  George  Simmons  Charity Walder or Charity Walter  Cuckfield  vol 7 page 481 but this is no use to you if it is not your George.
I am going to do a timeline of the children born to these two couples just to clarify that it is most unlikey they are the same couple.
Actually the death reg's for Dora and George that I found earlier would be of more help to you as this is likely to be your line. But first things first, order the birth reg for George A.

Offline 092086

• RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 March 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Births Mar 1873
SIMMONS Arthur Epping 4a 117
The district Epping is in the county of Essex; information about it can be found here.

===

I'm fairly certain this is my Arthur Simmons because in 3 Canadian Censuses as well as his marriage certificate he lists his birth as January 1873 - Essex. I'll go ahead and order it.

On Arthur's marriage certificate he also lists his parents as George Simmons and Dora Webster.
essex -> simmons

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Births Mar 1873
The district Epping is in the county of Essex; information about it can be found here.

===

I'm fairly certain this is my Arthur Simmons because in 3 Canadian Censuses as well as his marriage certificate he lists his birth as January 1873 - Essex. I'll go ahead and order it.

On Arthur's marriage certificate he also lists his parents as George Simmons and Dora Webster.

Hi
In your first post you said Arthur had his mother as Dora Turner on his marriage cert. But if it is Dora Webster then I would forget about the other George E Simmons completely because the only link I was working on was Arthur's marriage cert with mother as Dorah Turner. 
The birth cert for Arthur will help confirm his mother's maiden name. I still can't find a marriage for a Dora Webster and George Simmons in UK at anytime.

Offline 092086

• RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Births Mar 1873

===

Hi
In your first post you said Arthur had his mother as Dora Turner on his marriage cert. But if it is Dora Webster then I would forget about the other George E Simmons completely because the only link I was working on was Arthur's marriage cert with mother as Dorah Turner. 
The birth cert for Arthur will help confirm his mother's maiden name. I still can't find a marriage for a Dora Webster and George Simmons in UK at anytime.

Sorry I should have been more clear

The marriage certificate lists it as WEBSTER. The only link I have of the TURNER surname is what I've found in other family trees, most of which include the 22 children

Its unfortunate people throw as many names as they can into a tree without concrete data as it throws others off on a wild goose chase!
essex -> simmons

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 March 11 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Great! Now you can ignore the trees for George Simmons/Charity and Dora Turner, they are nothing to do with your family. :)
The birth certificate will confirm Arthur's mother's maiden name, his father's name and occupation.
Unfortunately at the moment there is the problem of your George and Dora's marriage which using the names Simmonds/ Simmons and Webster I can't find in the UK!  Is there any chance they went to Canada separately, married over there, then returned to UK with their two oldest children?
In the 1861, '71', '81 and 91 census Dora says she was born Eddlesborough Buckinghamshire but in 1901 she says Northchurch Hertfordshire and in 1911 it is Dunstable Bedfordshire. I will take a look at google maps and see how far apart these places are.
George is consistent with his birthplace.

Offline 092086

• RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 March 11 03:03 GMT (UK) »

Arthur is with his parents George and Dora in the 1881 England Census, but:

essex -> simmons

Offline 092086

• RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 March 11 03:07 GMT (UK) »
What's interesting is George allegedly later resided in Utah - a nice haven for polygamists.
essex -> simmons