Author Topic: William Walker Dawson  (Read 1996 times)

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Walker Dawson
« on: Friday 04 March 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking for whereabouts of William Walker Dawson born 1898 in Huddersfield,who may have changed his name to Wilfrid Dawson around 1920. His father was Councillor Wilfrid Dawson of Huddersfield and was responsible for buying 'Huddersfield' for the town.  We have all the censuses right up to 1911.  William Walker Dawson was wanted for the ceremony on the 11th March but after his father's death in 1936 we can find no trace of him other than he might have gone to London and been involveld in a lighting company.  He attended Ackworth School, Hemsworth and their archives have done what they can. William's mother was Ruth Littlewood and that could be a possible line of research. Councillor Dawson had siblings who were not very prolific. The bottom line is we have not been able to find either a marriage or a death for Councillor Dawson's son William (Wilfrid)
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Walker Dawson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 11 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
A few possibilities! According to the probate record of Wilfred senior living at Cassomere Heaton Road, Wilfred the son is mentioned.   An*****y has in 1939 telephone directory a Wilfred Dawson (could be father or son) still living there ie: Cassermere House-Heaton Road Huddersfield 966. It may be worth trying electoral registers to see who was living at this address between 1933-1939 and then after the war c1945/6. May record 2 Wilfreds up to 1936 and a possible wife for Wilfrid junior. With regard to Wilfrid/ Williams death a very close match is WILFRED Dawson ref March q 1969 Bradford 2b 73 aged 71. I know William was born June q 1898 so may not be him. However rather than order a certificate there may well be a probate record for this Wilfred that details further info.

John

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much John  Where do you look for probate on the internet by the way. Also how did you look in a telephone directory for 1939.  i will certainly pass this information on. Regards Marcia
Hughes, Anglesey, Kemp Manchester, Beaumont Manchester and Huddersfield, Chadwick and Whitehead Huddersfield, Bell Lincoln, Blacktoft, Dewsbury, I'Anson, Ripon, Thirsk, Middleton Quernhow, Langlands, Scotland and Morpeth

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Marcia,
It's nothing clever. I have full worldwide sub to An*****y and the records are on their site. With regard to probate for Wilfrid junior you will need to contact the probate office in london, not sure if they have other locations. With regard to electoral registers you would need to go to Huddersfield to view these or they may have copies in county office. I would start first with electoral register.

John

Offline loislane112

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks i have a bit to go on now.

Offline Paulafoley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if anyone will see this, but I think I'm related to Wilfrid Dawson. He married my great aunt Dora in 1937 in Marylebone, and they were living in Rickmansworth in 1939. They had a son called Wilfrid who emigrated to Australia. Wilfrid's dob is 16th February 1898