Author Topic: 3 questions I would like peoples input on  (Read 6536 times)

Offline 092086

• Sorry my emails are not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
  • hola
    • View Profile
3 questions I would like peoples input on
« on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Recently I've started an interest in genealogy and putting in some serious time and money into my family tree. I'm very fortunate to have found this website which seems to me like a vast resource of helpful and knowledgeable people. What I would like to know is:

1) What is YOUR ultimate goal of researching your family tree? To go as far back as you can? To find B/M/D for everyone? To get at least 1 picture for every person?

2) Do you have a cutoff for the amount of people you enter? Ie: limiting the tree to 1st cousins and discarding 2nd, 3rd cousins, etc?

3) If you could offer one tip/note/suggestion in researching, what would it be?

Thanks
cornwall -> earl, may, scott
essex -> simmons

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: 3 questions I would like peoples input on
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 11 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I think your question is more likely to be a "how long is a piece of string" one and you will get as many different answers as there are people posting on Rootschat.

Personally I have kept my research to our mutual G Grandparents, thats mine and my wdifes.  I have included siblings of each line plus wives/husbands and that is all.  As all my research is in the UK it is really limited in it's depth so the late 1700's is as far as I am likely to be able to go.

Apart from from buying credits for census and the occasional certificate, I have found the most expensive part is time!

Alan NZ 
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 11 02:01 GMT (UK) »
1.  goal.  my own enjoyment.
2.  cutoff.  none.
3.  tip.  spread the net widely.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 11 03:21 GMT (UK) »
1.My enjoyment,if I discover the undiscovered or unexpected along the way,that's a bonus.

2.What's with all the restrictions,I have cousins I love as much as family closer to me.

3. Rethink the way you are thinking about researching,rules are there to be broken.Set yourself limits and you set yourself brickwalls.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 11 05:10 GMT (UK) »

1) What is YOUR ultimate goal of researching your family tree? To go as far back as you can? To find B/M/D for everyone? To get at least 1 picture for every person?

2) Do you have a cutoff for the amount of people you enter? Ie: limiting the tree to 1st cousins and discarding 2nd, 3rd cousins, etc?

3) If you could offer one tip/note/suggestion in researching, what would it be?

1) I go back as far as "confirmed records" can take me, including B/M/D, though in saying that I have accepted information from other researchers where information has not been comfirmed by records such as.Censuses, BDM Certs, Passenger Lists etc.... Pictures are a bonus, whether a photgraph or portrait, even a house.

2) Only direct blood ancestors, their siblings, and their sibling's immediate family. Though I may stray slightly if another researcher supplies me information that is interesting, as long as long as I can follow that link, but not too distant.

3) Record all information, because if you don't record it now, it may be lost forever.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 11 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello 092086

Ancestry can be very costly even more from oversea if your ancestor are from the UK and can be addictive.

Some people do their ancestry by the England and Wales census and GRO BMD's start year from 3rd quarter July -Sept 1837 (Scotland start year is different) as most dates are pritty accurate (Not all in census). Within reason of GRO certificate cost this is fairly with in the scope of most peoples interest and budget.

Those who go back further! Marriage from 1754 to  pre 1837 don't give age usually giving Full age or Minor (14 to 21years old a special licence for these called 'bond marriage by allegation and did give the actual age) also they don't give the parents name. The marriages pre 1754 were single line entries in parish registers like "Joseph Blogg X Mary Doolittle got  married" (Nothing else)
Baptisms pre 1837 in most cases were within a year or two of birth but could be 20 years later or more. IGI LDS index have alot of Baptisms but not all and most have to be found from Libraries/ Archives this they charge anything around  £25 English pounds a hour to search for them with or without a find. If you get a common surname name and there are 2 or3 or more baptized within a year of each other or so  also christian names were very common like John, Joseph, William or Sarah -Mary-Hannah etc you can really be up the Swanee creak! Those fortunate to live near Archives can find details in Wills-Deeds-land tax-Poor law- Tithes- Allotments -Quarter session Tax rolls and many more records but from oversea its a real challenge and expensive.

This is just the tip of a very heavy large ice burger (A big Mac burger at McDonald's maybe cheaper hobby)

Have Fun though! :) or go round the ruddy twist trying!  :-\  :'(

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Genealogy is for life, not just a few months or a year.

Just when you thought you knew everything about your ancestors - something new always turns up.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Just when you thought you knew everything about your ancestors - something new always turns up.

101% correct!!!

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 March 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
My tips - record sources and include them when you swap information with others, don't assume the researcher sharing information is correct, specially if they don't include sources  ;)  But most of all let your family history take you where you will - if your 3 x great grandfather's sister's son's family had an interesting life, enjoy discovering it  :D

Mo
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)