Author Topic: George Thomas Shepherd - warren farm school  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Mrshaley23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Thomas Shepherd - warren farm school
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:55 GMT (UK) »
A few more things...  If my grandfather was born in the workhouse, but didn't go to Warren Farm until he was 8, would he have stayed at the workhouse with my great grandmother while he was a baby?  In a note I found written by him, he states that he was born George thomas Shepherd but that his foster family changed his name to Francis John Franklyne upon his adoption.  I was told by the archives staff that there were no formal adoptions or name change procedures at that time, so there would be no paperwork to prove that, but I don't understand at what point he was adopted.  His records show that he was born in 1902, went to Warren Farm in 1910 until 1915, and then to a Military School for two years, after which time, he was in the army.  We know that at some point he lived with a family called "Nunney" (not sure of the spelling) and that they had a daughter named "Hilda" or "Greta" who was around the same age (maybe a little older) than my grandfather.  It has been so difficult to figure out what happened so I really appreciate all of your advice!   :)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
It is so hard to generalise, over what happened to workhouse mothers and babies, I think I should leave that one for somone else to answer.  I suppose there was a hope that the girl's family would take her back, or she could go to one of the laundries in the area that exploited young unmarried girls who found themselves in that unfortunate predicament.  A base born child was considered such a social stigma in those days, it was not uncommon for a mother to reluctantly leave her child behind for the town to bring up.

Your information is that George went to Warren Farm in 1910, so theoretically he should be there on the 1911 census under one of the names he was known as.  Have you checked?

My 1911 census index has two other poor leads.  There were only 2 George Shepherd/Sheppards born in Brighton between 1901-1903 (FreeBMD) George Edward Shepherd appears on the 1911 census living in the Steyning district, leaving another George Sheppard born Brighton 1902 and living in Greenwich unaccounted for.  He might be worth looking a little closer at.
Lastly there was a Thomas Sheppard born Brighton c1901 in an institution in Newhaven.  That also might be him, but using his middle name.

Have you found the military school he went to?  They may have records, or he may have eventually joined the services, and they too should have details of him.  Anyone ever awarded a medal, often had their name and service number stamped on the rim.    Roy G

Offline Mrshaley23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 January 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I am back at trying to decipher this situation again...  I cannot find my grandfather, George Thomas Shepherd or Francis John Franklyne on any 1911 census.  My information is that he was born in the Brighton Workhouse in 1902, then his records show that he was at the Warren Farm School from 1910-1915.  Would he have been in the workhouse with his mother until then?  From 1915-1917, he attended the Army School in Tidworth. 

I also can't find a birth or death certificate for my great grandmother, Mary Ann Shepherd, who was in the workhouse.  I know she died around 1930 in a "hospital", but she may still have been in the workhouse.  How could I find this out?  She was listed as a "domestic servant at 28 George Street, Brighton, on my grandfather's 1902 birth certificate, but a search for that address on the 1901 census does not show her living there.  There must be a birth certificate for her somewhere, but I have no idea of her date of birth.

I am not sure at what point my grandfather was adopted by a foster family, but in his RAF application, he indicates that his name was changed to "Francis John Franklyne" at the time of his adoption.  I have tried searching for any Franklyne families living in Brighton or other areas where he might have been in school with no luck.  If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Any help you can give is so appreciated.
Thank you!

Offline cwatts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Birth certificate reference (You can apply for a copy from Brighton Registrar or the GRO)
Births December quarter 1902      Shepherd    George Thomas    Brighton    2b   203
That should give you the mother's name and a birth address which may enable you to trace the moher on the 1901 or 1911 censuses.
You will also find a Mr D Day on Genes Reunited has this George in his ancestry.
Roy G
hi roy this is clem watts im 73 this june do you remember me i live in shard end now i used to live in ensdon grove off ellerton rd kingstanding the last i heard of you was when you was in harringay rd my number is 0121 748 4825 give me a call any time

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Clem you have the wrong Roy.

Offline cwatts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
This is the first time you have named the mother as Mary Ann Shepherd.
If you are correct, a Mary Ann Shepherd, born Brighton as Mary Ann Sheppard in the Sept quarter of 1883 who appears on the 1901 census (born c 1884) may well be worth investigating. 

Mary Ann Sheppard does not reappear on the local 1911 census, but a Mary Ann Shepherd married in Brighton in 1905 (husband John Penfold)  There are no local deaths in her maiden name, so it could be that a child concieved when she was about 17 was placed into the care of the local authotrity.  (That's the parish workhouse followed by Warren Farm Industrial school)  Roy G
Sorry Clem you have the wrong Roy.
oh ty roy this is clem watts i think there was a brian shepherd too we all went to dulwich road school in the seniors from 1950 untill 1954 i did see them after in the college arms pub my last teacher was mr portor roy and his brother was in the A CLASS i was in a C CLASS. do you know who i meen. did you go to dulwich rd school and what years plz.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Clem, not a Dulwich bone in my body.  I'm born, bred and educated Brighton, you'll have to find another Roy G