Author Topic: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage
« on: Saturday 05 March 11 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I need to fill in some gaps about another one of my ancestors (previously I'd written about his cousin Marmaduke Bevans who also emigrated to Canada). 

William Mason Mallinson b.  4 May 1886 Camberwell, London, England  is a bit of a mystery. 

He emigrated to Canada in 1894 according to the 1916 Canada (Medicine Hat) Census.  He worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway as a Brakeman. 

Interestingly, I found a 1940 Border Crossing doc.  (mis-transcribed on the website as William 'Beson' Mallinson) from residence Lethbridge, Alberta into Sweetgrass, Montana, which indicates he landed on the continent at Portland, Maine on the SS Dominion 1898 (which differs from the census emigration date of 1894).  I checked the passenger lists for this ship in 1898, but could find no one that fits. 

The trouble is, he would have been only about 8 when he emigrated in 1894, yet his parents William Mason Mallinson (Sr.) and Alice Louisa Vickery) remained in England.  (His parents evidently split up).

On 21 October 1914, WMM Jr. married May Johnson in Fernie, British Columbia and their marriage doc. indicates that he was a widower.  However, I am unable to determine who his first marriage was to.  I did find a 1913 border crossing into Buffalo, U.S. for a William Mallinson whose age matches, and occupation a brakeman for the railroad whose wife is noted as being a Jean Mallinson and their residence was Toronto.  I'd found a death for a Jean Mallinson, but this York, Ontario death is in 1929, but her husband is noted as being a William Mallinson.  However, WMM Jr. had married May Johnson by 1914, so the info clashes. 

In 1920, WMM Jr.'s mother, Alice Louisa (nee Vickery) Mallinson emigrated to Canada to join WMM Jr. in Medicine Hat and she intended to be with her son there.  (I haven't been able to find her death.)

WMM Jr. died in Kelowna 26 December 1970, yet I can't find his second wife May's death. 

I'd love to be able to fill in the details of his earlier life in Canada.  I'm not sure if he was a 'home child', though his family in England weren't exactly pennyless, but without a passenger list,  I can't determine if he came to Canada solo or with some organization. 

If anyone can help fill in any of these gaps with fresh eyes :o, it would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mason Mallinson - Looking for 1st marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 11 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

On the 1906 Canada Census, there is a William Mallinson, age 23, born in England, working as a hired man in Marquette, Manitoba.  The immigration year is transcribed as 1905.  The head of the household is George McIntosh.

On the Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, there is a William Mallinson, age 14, born in London, England, aboard the Vancouver, sailing from Liverpool arriving Portland, Maine, on March 4, 1901.  He was destined to Toronto, Ontario.

The border crossings may be for 2 different William Mallinsons.  The physical description is slightly different from the Sweet Grass one (5' 11", medium complexion, grey hair, brown eyes) and the Buffalo one (5' 9-1/2", fair complexion, brown hair, blue eyes).  The place of birth is different also.

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 11 08:13 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 Canada Census for Marquette, Manitoba, there is a Wm. (surname transcribed as Moulens).  The original image is difficult to read but could be Moulson (which sounds similar to Mallinson).  The birth month and year are May 1885.  He's a farmer, born England and the immigration year is 1902.  Possibly the same person I found in Marquette on the 1906 Census.

Susan

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:23 GMT (UK) »
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

You can check the Soldiers of the First World War at this site. There are 18 Mallinsons listed that served with the CEF in WW1. If you think this is your William, you can order his complete military file from this site.
William Mallinson
Reg. # 500335
b. Westmorland, england, Nov 5th, 1883
Next of Kin: wife, Agatha May Mallinson
served previously in Cumberland and Westmorland Imp. Yeomanry, 3 yrs?
enlisted August 27, 1915 Olds, alberta
height 5' 7", dark complexion, gray eyes, dark hair, religion - Church of England

You may be looking at more than one William Mallinson. the best advice that I can give is too get as much information as possible and then get the BMD's documents, military files, passenger lists and then try to determine what information matches up to determine if you are dealing with more than one person. Something to keep in mind is that age really meant nothing so they changed the year of birth quite readily but usually used the same day and month. If you are only using transcribed records try to get the originals as they ususally have more information.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:25 GMT (UK) »
At the site listed above you can also check

Home children (1869-1930)
there are 4 Mallinson's listed but not a William

Western Land Grants (1870-1930)
has one for a William Mallinson

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
You can check for passenger lists at
http://www.ancestorsonboard.com

http://www.ellisisland.org/

I sometimes have better luck using only the surname

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
http://automatedgenealogy.com

You can check the 1901 and 1911 census at this site. Using the spit screen, you can view the original documents. This site will also give you alternative spellings that you can merge to help in your search.

1911 Census/Medicine Hat, Alberta
has
Arthur Mallinson, b. Oct. 1877, age 34, England, Anglican, S. foreman ?, CPR Shops, no immigration date given
Mable T., b. April 1880, age 31, USA, imm 1907
Dorothy, b. Feb 1908, age 3, Alberta
Robert, b. May 1911, Alberta

Is it possible that this is a relative of William and that William may have gone to his brother in Medicine Hat. I can't find William on the 1911 census but it is possible that he was missed.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the Ancestors On Board site above
Wm. Mallinson, b. 1887, 1901 Liverpool to USA, Portland

this is a pay site but it may be worthwhile to buy the credits and see what information is given. He would have been 14 so perhaps was traveling with another person.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:52 GMT (UK) »
If William Mason Mallinson died in Kelowna in 1970 I would contact the Okanagan Public Library and see if they could look for an obituary for him.
Okanagan Public Library
http://www.orl.bc.ca/

This is where you would find information on his burial if he was buried in Kelowna
Memorial Park Cemetery Office
1991 Bernard Avenue
Kelowna, BC
V1Y 9V7

or e-mail
cityparks@kelowna.ca