Author Topic: Automatic language translation  (Read 2563 times)

Offline caroline2910

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Automatic language translation
« on: Sunday 06 March 11 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, may have already been mentioned but just thought I'd offer my small amount of wisdom.

If you are searching for online information and find that the results appear in a foreign language, you can download 'Google Chrome'. It's an updated version of the Google search engine. When you view a web page which is in a language other than English it will automatically offer you the choice to translate to whatever language you like (a translate tab appears just below the address bar). It makes searching foreign records just a little easier :)
Renfrewshire Families
Cameron
Hamilton
Keith
McDonald
Miller
Morrison
Potter
Purdie
Smith

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Art Gallery/Museum Guide/Docent
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic language translation
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Definitely on line automatic translation is worth a try. However, as you may find, all too often what is returned makes only minimal sense: depends on how may phrases Google translate has encountered (and stored with their translations) before.

As a co-proprietor of a Dutch <--> English translation business which does translate genealogical documents I find that, especially with older, handwritten documents the key step is transcription. Translation is then relatively straightforward, though Google and its ilk can struggle because of the differences between Dutch and English word order, idiom etc -- not to mention archaic words, spelling and grammar.

On the side of Google and automatic translation: it is free. Translation and transcription are labour intensive and far from free in many cases.

Cheers
Geoff
Isaacs and Bollegraaf families (Australia 1911 on, London around 1900 to 1912. The Netherlands before that. Herman Isaacs (in London and AU), Herman Izak (in Netherlands)

Elizabeth Italiaander (b Amsterdam 1876) and her antecedents.

Jessie Crown (born probably Lithuania, died in Sydney AU in 1952)
Philip Cohen, her husband (born Latvia or Russia, died Sydney AU 1933) and their antecedents and families.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
though Google and its ilk can struggle because of the differences between Dutch and English word order, idiom etc -- not to mention archaic words, spelling and grammar.

I struggle with that every day!
It's what happens when an Englishman lives in the Netherlands!  ;D ;D

Geoff, Ja! Ik ben een dom engelsman!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Geoff, Ja! Ik ben een dom engelsman!
En ik een dom australiėr -- mijn vrouw is een nederlandse  ;D  --G
Isaacs and Bollegraaf families (Australia 1911 on, London around 1900 to 1912. The Netherlands before that. Herman Isaacs (in London and AU), Herman Izak (in Netherlands)

Philip Cohen, her husband (born Latvia or Russia, died Sydney AU 1933) and their antecedents and families.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Google Chrome is a web browser which allegedly is very good at spying on what you're doing, and sending the results back to Google  :o
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline igeoff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Google Chrome is a web browser which allegedly is very good at spying on what you're doing, and sending the results back to Google 

Various internet tools, probably including Chrome, look at info like your location and what you visit. I gather the claimed benefit is that they can target adverts etc better. My recollection is that most of these, including Chrome, have a way to turn off this collection -- perhaps someone can enlighten us.

However, there is no need to use Chrome to get Translate.  At the risk of robbing myself of some business  ;), Google translate is available independent of browser. Just go to a Google search page and select Translate under the more option at the top of the page --  then follow the bouncing ball...

There is one information gathering issue however. If you have something confidential to translate then many translators say it is better not to use Google translate as, in my understanding, it uses a database of stuff it has encountered before: and in goes your confidential stuff.

--Geoff