Author Topic: Leander Green  (Read 12736 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leander Green
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 March 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
There are so many twists and turns in this, and supposition comes to the fore.

Leander is an unusual name, but a Leander Hearne married in Fulham in 1895.  That would be when Sandra's Leander was about 16.
Unity appears as Unity Green on the 1901 census, and on her birth cert dated 1897, but neither of the possible spouses in 1895 were called Green (Albert Wolfe or John Hearne [cousin?]). 
If Leander did not marry someone by the name of Green, perhaps she and her husband separated and following this she produced a child whose father was surnamed Green, mother's name Hearne.  (The answer to that should be found in Unity's birth cert).  For while after that she could have then called herself Leander Green for Unity's sake.
Furthermore, if that 1895 marriage was Leander, perhaps she never married Alfred until 1931 because her first husband was still alive?

Supposition as I said.  Unfortunately Sandra you have to embark on a rolling programme buying a few certs to find if there is any truth in any of it.            Roy G

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 March 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I think Sandra has a lot to go through & certainly plenty of leads.  If it was my research I would try & find mention of her funeral in 1947 in a local newspaper.  She certainly seems a colourful character & Romany funerals are a sight to behold!

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline SandraD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 March 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, thank you both so much for all your help and suggestions.

I must now collate all the info I've amassed since Friday and start some serious searching. I've just ordered a marriage cert  in the hope it will show Leander's father's name.  I do hope he hadn't died before their marriage.  A & L were together in 1901, my gran (Helene) was born in 1903 and the marriage was 1931 - Leander was a grandmother by then (my mother born 1926).

Sandra

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Sandra it might be of interest to view the 1911 census for Leander & Alfred.  I saw them on the index in Steyning but you have to buy credits to view the original.
I do so hope the marriage certificate states that her father was Samuel, otherwise we'll have to start all over again  ;D

Jane

Offline SandraD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane

It would be good if it answered our questions.  I'll have to be patient and await the post.  Think I might concentrate on someone else for a change

Sandra

Ps - Did you mean Solomon (not Samuel)?  Also, is Leander in your family tree as well?

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry meant Solomon  :-[  Wish she was in my tree she seems such an interesting person!

Jane

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 March 11 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Morning Sandra. 
In case you are no longer following the My Brighton site, I thought I should let you know that Leander Green's daughter in law, through her son Albert, has left you a message and contact address.  In it, she also writes about having seen a photo of Leander, but it is unclear whether she still has a copy
(Unfortunately, My Brighton does not flag new related messages, they should learn from Rootschat)   Roy G

Offline SandraD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 March 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roy.

I will check that, I didn't realise they weren't as proficient as this site - Sandra

Offline SandraD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 April 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane & Roy G - Sorry for the delay - I've been away.  I have Leander's marriage certificate and the info is as follows:

3rd December 1931  at Steyning Register Office
               Alfred James Thorpe (bachelor) aged 55 yrs.  Father - William Thorpe (deceased)
                   Leanda Green (widow) aged 56 yrs. Father - George Gladman (deceased)
                                   Address  - 11 Buckler's St, Portslade-by-Sea
                                            Witnesses - W J & M Pierce
                                 Alfred signed but Leander made her mark

Perhaps she was waiting for her first husband to die as I think you suggested, Jane.I'll concentrate on George Gladman now and see how far it takes me.

Sandra