Author Topic: Inquest report in shorthand  (Read 5594 times)

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest report in shorthand
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
It also occurs to me that in the Doctors statement he said that he had put a printed note at the bottom of the message to tell the sisters to get the medicine straight away and take a sample of urine. However, it may be that they could not read very well and were too embarrassed to say so.

ETA - just looked up Sidney Barwise on the census records and if he was from the Birmingham area, there he is as a medical student in 1881 in Worcestershire, and a fully fledged health official and doctor in 1891 (but in Blackburn by that time) - great stuff!

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I've been following this thread with great interest and have also had a go at transcribing the first statement from Sarah Langford.  I can't read every word but have a good gist of what she said - I'd be interested to see Chris's transcription to see if we agree! 

How far on with it are you Chris?  I hesitate to post my own transcription as I don't want to take over the thread, but like you I have really enjoyed doing it.

The thing I've found most difficult is the lack of punctuation, so I'm unsure as to what day some of the things happened as I don't know if a sentence ends with a named day, or whether the day is the beginning of the next sentence.  Have you found the same?

Also there are impressions of outlines that I think are from the other side of the page which have leaked through, which causes difficulties.

Even though I do Pitman 2000 which is obviously a more modern version of this shorthand, I can usually understand how the outlines have been formed as they do still make sense, you just have to apply a little lateral thinking in order to work them out!

Great fun.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Telepathy at work here obviously! Just finished as far as I can, and came on here to post it. I agree - the lack of punctuation doesn't help and there are some outlines which are leaked from the other side of the page. Anyway, here is my "go" at it - the more I look at it, the more I find different words!!!

Also, there are some bits where the outlines are not quite "to the book" and that is normal for shorthand writers so it is a case of seeing what they did before to try and make sense of it. post your transcription too - it will be interesting to see if we have got the same story! (I studied Pitman Shorthand in the 1960's so, sadly (for me!) the shorthand outlines I learned are probably closer to the original Victorian version than the ones you learned!  :-\) Certainly it all looked very familiar despite me having learned Pitman New Course!!!

Sarah Langford

Deceased my father  he came to my house Tuesday night……. Dad asked me if I  would give him a night or two lodgings because he had nowhere to go. He was out of work and had no money to pay for his lodgings. He came between 2 and 3 after dinnertime on Tuesday.

I kept him there (?)  Was troubled with gout  - affected hands and  feet  and one side of (chin?)…he was (howling?). he had lost his situation he was “hard up”. When I took him in I let him lie on the sofa and I  gave him a cup of tea and an egg (but might also be cake! – vowel in right position for the word “egg”) went to work. I went to work 8 o’clock Wednesday. I returned at dinnertime. When I got home he said “My nose has been bleeding”. I said “will you have something to eat and he said “No, I had my dinner”. I went back to work, went  about 2 o’clock. Came back 6pm. Standing up when I came in, he said he was a little better. He slept   on the day sofa all night, I have only two beds which are kept for children, and had nothing to eat.

……. ……….I had some bread and butter and cup of tea  and I offered him some and I. went to bed about 11.30. When I came down next morning my father was lying on the sofa. I made him another cup of tea. I went to work at 8 o’clock. The nose was bleeding a little then. He had no breakfast Wednesday morning he had a bit of toast and tea (this doesn't make sense to me - either he had breakfast or he didnt!). At 11 o’clock I was fetched from work by my sister. Went home and father was lying on the sofa bleeding from the nose – it was bleeding worse. He appeared very weak. Got Parish note at 3pm. My father did not ask me to get the note. Dr Barwise attended about 5.30 while I was away at my father’s sisters where I had gone to fetch her (think the longhand word is "Angelina"). She did not tell me to take …..note to the dispensary. I did (looks like "did not" but this doesn't make sense) go next morning to the dispensary for the medicine. I got the medicine soon after 9. I gave my father one dose and then he died.

ETA 05.56 9 March - just odd words added in!

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, Chris, and others who have taken a look, and I'm glad you've found it interesting.

These documents were obtained by a distant relative whom I discovered a few years back via GR, when I started researching my grandmother's family.  My 'cousin' lives nearer to Birmingham than I do, and had already done a great deal of research into the Ellis branch with the resources of Birmingham Archives.  We have solved a few little mysteries between us but the shorthand was beyond us!  :)

We both descend from siblings of Cornelius Ellis, so (as a 4x great-uncle in my case) he's not exactly close family .....  I expect a lot of people wouldn't bother, but something like this shows how worthwhile it can be to keep note of everyone, because it gives such great insight into how our ancestors lived, what they were like and how life was for them.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
It was a pleasure to do! Also, so many people on this site have given me help with my research and I have never been able to do anything for anyone else because I am not experienced enough, so it was lovely to be able to "give back".

Shorthand to me is like a second language - I remember when I was learning it became automatic for my brain to translate posters on the bus into shorthand outlines so it must have really infiltrated my brain!

I would be more than happy to do this again if it crops up for anyone. Is there anywhere on this site that I could register this offer of help permanently so that someone could just send me a private message if they want to? I don't always check all the posts on the forum as I work for myself and it depends on how much time I have on my hands! There are plenty of other people out there who might want to do the same thing too.

Good luck with your research - I actually started my research with a distant relative who had emigrated to Australia because I found old letters and photos addressed to my grandparents from them. It turned out to be a really interesting story and gave a sense of social history to the whole thing too.

All the best!

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,  I know what you mean about enjoying deciphering shorthand - I learnt it in the late 70s and it's something you never forget!  Shorthand challenges crop up on here quite often and there is another one has appeared since this thread, perhaps you could take a look at it - it looks like Pitman but has several of us perplexed cos we can't read more than an outline or two:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,518929.0.html

Hope to see you there  :)
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up on this - will give it a go (just replied on the thread). Have a lot of work to do tonight in preparation for tomorrow (and looking after toddler grandson too - fingers crossed he doesn't wake up!). Won't be able to tackle it full on until Friday so bear with me!

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  Well here goes with my version.  It's very similar to Chris's with one or two exceptions, which I'm not at all sure about!  And there are still some words I can't read, indicated by asterisks.  Also the chronology of events is confusing, sometimes it doesn't seem to make sense.  See what you think.  Punctuation is mainly my own and is open to interpretation!

Sarah Langford – Deceased, my father, he came to my house
Tuesday night [long outline here I can’t make sense of – don’t think it’s leaked from over page though], mother dead, asked me if I would ******** [crossed out?]
give him a night or two’s lodgings cos [because] he had nowhere could go.
He was out of work and had no money to pay for his lodgings.
He came between 2 and 3 ******* dinnertime Tuesday.  I [kept/met?] him.  Very
troubled with gout, affected in his feet and one knee [guessing! Outline too short really to be knee] did not ******** [crossed out?] say how long.  He had lost
his situation.  He was ******** “hard up”.  When I took him in I let him lie
on the sofa.  I gave him a cup of tea and an egg.  I went to
work, I went to work 8 o’clock Wednesday.  I returned at
dinnertime.  When I got home he said my nose has been bleeding.
I said will you have something to eat and he said no.  I did/had my dinner and went
back to work, went about 2 o’clock, came back 6pm.
Standing up when I came in he said he was a little better.
He slept on the sofa that night.  I have only 2 beds which are occupied by children.
He had nothing to eat, he said he didn’t want [carrit?!].  I did/had some bread and butter and a
cup of tea.  I offered him some.  I went to bed about 11.30.
When I came down next morning my father was lying on the sofa
and I gave him another cup of tea.  I went to work 8 o’clock.
The nose was bleeding a little then.  He had no breakfast Wednesday morning.  He had
bit of toast and tea.  At 11 o’clock I was fetched from
work by my sister, went home, my father was lying on the sofa
bleeding from the nose, it was bleeding worse *******.  He appeared very weak.  Got
parish note at 3pm.  My father did not ask me to get note.
When Dr Barwise attended about 5.30 while I was away at my father’s sister’s where I had gone
to fetch her, Angelina.  She [still?] did not tell me to take the note to the dispensary.  I did not go.
Next morning to the dispensary for the medicine, I got the medicine soon aft[er?] 9.
I gave my father one dose and then he died.

I was taught shorthand in the 1980s at secondary school and have always loved having that skill.  Hope my version helps.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Excellent stuff! At least we agree on the general gist of it! I haven't got time tonight to check it all word for word, but agree that the outline is "occupied" rather than "kept" in the bit about the beds for the children. Also you may well be right about "mother dead" at the beginning - hadn't crossed my mind that there might not be a mother about!

There is a bit in the middle where I am not sure that either of us are right but I can't work out what it should be at the moment.

Must get back to work - I will be up till midnight at the rate I am going!  :o