Author Topic: RADFORD of Devon  (Read 7935 times)

Offline krisradford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RADFORD of Devon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I too am a Radford.  Would you share your research with me as well?  I am in the US.

Kris Radford Workman

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I have Radfords in amongst a maternal line of my ancestors on my father's side:
The furthest I have managed to get back to (at the moment anyway), is one of my 9x great granddad's William Radford.
He married Grace Saunder/ Saunders, at a place called Farway in Devon, on the 29th of April 1678.

I discovered a POSSIBLE lineage for the above William. But cannot be certain of it however:

This William was POSSIBLY baptised in Farway in 1666, the son of an Edward Radford.
As you may see, this would mean my William was only 12 years old at the time of marriage. But that is the only baptism I can find. There are others, but none seem to be anywhere near the area of Farway.
William's possible father, Edward Radford, married Grace Cox in Farway in 1655:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2VZ-SZT
Edward was possibly baptised in 1624, in Sidbury. It is only a short distance of 4 miles from Farway, in Devon:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NBQT-5B3

William's father Edward was buried in 1668 in Farway, and there is a reference here for his will:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/DevonWillsProject/DWP-R-Rl

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 19 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has come across a Catherine and Elizabeth Radford on the Exeter 1841 census that connects to anyone's tree.
Catherine Came to New Zealand on the ship Essex 1842. As far as we know she was not married. She died in NZ.
Elizabeth on the 1841 census with Catherine we are sure she came to NZ on the ship the Blenheim 1842 under the assumed name of Elizabeth Payne. There is no Elizabeth Radford on the passenger list for the Blenheim. The only Elizabeth on the Blenheim is Elizabeth Payne which no one seems to know anything about her.
Also on the Blenheim is a Thomas Radford. We thought perhaps he could be a brother, or it is just a coincidence there is another Radford on the ship.
We are not sure but we think she changed her name because she and another Elizabeth Radford were caught stealing in 1837. Elizabeth the elder was transported to Australia and the Elizabeth on the 1841 census got hard labour in Exeter. All speculation of course.
Family lore has it that Elizabeth Radford came to NZ with her sister Agnes Dust nee Radford.
Agnes married James Dust in Dublin. James Dust was in the 46th Reg. of foot and we have quite a lot of info. on the Dust family in the hope of tracing Agnes would take us back to Elizabeth but to no avail.
Would love to hear from anyone that has come across these two Radford ladies in the hope that the Elizabeth on the 1841 census is our Elizabeth and we find someone tracing the family.
Sue Greene
New Zealand

Offline Jennifer Radford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 November 23 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Terry,

I've traced my ancestry to Robert Radford of Uffculme, born mid to late 1600s.  I would love to see the tree going back further.  Please let me know if this thread is still active. 

Thanks!

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 November 23 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I have three Radfords, but I know almost nothing about them, so they may not be any use to you, but here goes:

Katherine Radford, married Edward Lawrence (my great[10]grandfather, as his second wife). No dates, no placenames, no parents. Edward born after 1534, died after 1623.

Henry Radford, my great[15]grandfather. no other information, except his daughter:

Elizabeth Brune, my great[14]grandmother. née Radford, died  1471. Married Maurice Brune. Two sons, including Thomas Brune.

Such dates as I have don't seem to add up, as 1534 - 1471 = 63 years -- not enough for 6 generations, even if Elizabeth Brune was in her 90s when she died.

That's it. No placenames, but quite likely Devon.

Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)