Author Topic: Gordon Cook(e), ex-boxer  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Gordon Cook(e), ex-boxer
« on: Monday 07 March 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Dorset ...
  I'm seeking information about a pre-war boxer from the Rhondda, (born 1905), called Gordon Cook (although I believe the surname should be spelt Cooke) ?
  He moved to Bournemouth in the late 1940s and, as far as I know, stayed there for the rest of his life. Does anyone know when he died - or if he had children there?
  Keeping my fingers crossed  :)
    Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RussandNige1981

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Cook(e), ex-boxer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just seen your post regarding my granfather Gordon Cooke, I never got to meet him but from what my father told me he was a good honest man. He went to Bournemouth and lived there for a few years, but then moved to Sanfrancisco and had many happy years there with my grandmother (Hilda) they had one son (Raymond my father). Gordon died around early 80s my father has also since died so I don't have an exact date. Its really nice to hear someone was still thinking of him.

Nigel

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Cook(e), ex-boxer
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I had just assumed he stayed in Bournemouth for the rest of his life - it's great to hear that he had the enthusiasm and ambition to head for California. I wish I had known when I was putting together a book on Rhondda boxers. It still contains a substantial chapter on him, including a picture. If you're interested, I could send you details via a Personal Message - I don't want to offend any RootsChat users by using this forum to advertise.
      Regards,
        Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk