Author Topic: Frank LYNCH - MB (1932)  (Read 14818 times)

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frank LYNCH - MB (1932)
« on: Tuesday 08 March 11 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information on my grandfather, Frank Lynch, who was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1932 and passed away in Winnipeg in October 1983.  I'm particularly looking for information on his parents. I believe his mother's name was Evelyn.

Thank you!
Jillian

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank LYNCH
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillian

Canada has pretty strict privacy laws so records from recent times are not readily available.  In Manitoba, births less 100 years, marriages less than 80 years and deaths less than 70 years are restricted.  I've posted a link to the page on the Manitoba Vital Stats which explains who is entitled to order certificates.  You could also email them for more information.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Entitled.html

The parents' names would be on the birth and marriage certificates and probably on the death certificate depending on the knowledge of the informant but you would have to order them if you meet the qualifications.

Do you have any other information about him that you could share with us?

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 04:42 GMT (UK) »
In the Manitoba vital stats database, there is a marriage in Winnipeg on December 25, 1925 between an Albert Martin Lynch and an Evelyn Agnes May.  This may or may not be the parents' marriage but something to keep in mind.  There's really no way of knowing without Frank's birth certificate.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Susan

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 07:15 GMT (UK) »
HI Jillian,

It appears you have a family tree on Ancestry. Do you have any more details such as your great -grandmother's or grandmothers name (including maiden name) or locations? On ancestry there is a tree for a Edward Anthony Lynch born 2 years after Frank - any relation between these 2?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 03:11 GMT (UK) »
I know that Frank was an RCMP officer in Saskatchewan and a City of Winnipeg police officer during the polio epidemic.  He was a bit of a local hero, helping to shuttle sick people to the hospitals.  He ended up contracting polio himself, and lived in an iron lung.  We have a copy of a newspaper article that was written up on his passing (which is how I know the month & year of his death).  He was married briefly to E. R. Craig, and they had one son (Edward Frank Lynch). 

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Last night I found an article online with reference to a Winnipeg policeman, Frank Lynch, with polio.  I wondered if he was your man and was going to post tonight to ask.  The article was in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 21, 1973.  Is this the same one that you have seen?  There is reference to him joining the Winnipeg Police Department in 1951 and taking ill and being admitted to hospital in October 1953.  There is also reference to a 20-year-old son and a divorce in 1957.  If you would like  a copy of the article, send me your email address via PM.

Was he a member of the Winnipeg Police Force or the RCMP?

Here's a link to the City of Winnipeg, Police Museum.  They may have some information about Frank.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/Museum/

If there is a chance that the ex-wife and son are still alive, I would ask that you modify your previous post and change the first names to initials only please.  We are not supposed to post anything about living persons.

Susan

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Good news - Albert Martin Lynch and Evelyn Agnes May are the parents of Frank Lynch!  Thank you so much for the tip. 

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Frank was both - an RCMP officer (briefly) first and then a City of Winnipeg police officer. 

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 05:21 GMT (UK) »
That is good news that you have confirmed the names of Frank's parents. 

I see a birth for an Evelyn Agnes May in Winnipeg on October 8, 1907.  If you click on Detail View you will see her mother's name.  It was a delayed registration (May 4, 1970) so perhaps Evelyn had to apply for it when she approached pension age.
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/ListView.php

I don't see a birth for Albert Martin Lynch in the Manitoba Vital Stats database so presumably he was born elsewhere.  Do you know if he was born in Canada or immigrated?

Here's the link to the RCMP Archives.  Not sure what their holdings include.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/hist/archiv-eng.htm

I see an entry for a Frank Harold Lynch on this website:
http://www.rcmpgraves.com/database/search.html

Susan