Author Topic: Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »
The Newlands Parish entry for the birth of the above is indexed with William as father of Jean but looking at the previous entry in the register, the "W"s do not match & it could be Mr Selkirk

I can locate Scotstown to the East of Blyth Bridge but cannot find any other info on the Selkirk family in this area.

Can anyone help?

Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Selkirk born 1 May 1802 at Scotstown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
It is a tricky one, Binkie  :-\ Never seen this before on IGI, but they simply have the father's name as Selkirk, no first name either. No other births seem to show in Newlands under the surname Selkirk using the batch code of C117672 (1677 - 1819).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 11 06:48 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is, Monica!  I'm not even getting clues in any of the surrounding parishes.  It may be that the Selkirks were only in the area a short time.  I'm a bit of a naughty girl as I only post queries when I'm absolutely stuck.

I picked up on this birth as the most likely for the Jean Selkirk who married William Walker in Lanark on 7 October 1821 (although that entry states that they were both of the parish of Lanark) because William's father Abraham was married in Lanark on 15 January 1792 to a Margaret Stevenson from West Linton in Peebleshire.  No clues from the census either as Jean must have died before 1836 as William marries Marion Dickson in that year.

William & Jean's children born in Lanark:-
Abraham born 1822
William 1827
James 1829
Joseph 1832
William through to James may be the Christian name of the elusive Mr Selkirk

Agnes aka Binkie (genealogy training courtesy of Isles Burness)
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes

Sorry, missed your message from yesterday.

It is really hard to get any clues on Jean Selkirk  :-\  There is not a single entry entry showing on the 1841 and 1851 census for that surname with any connection to Peebleshire - neither living there nor born there.

On the red highlight you have in your last post. Remember that the Parish entries simply showed where bride and groom were living at the time of the marriage, no indication as to where they were born.

Pity also no daughter(s) name show for William and Jean. There is a gap in the births you have there between 1822 and 1827.

Monica  :)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica!

Good thinking about the gap between 1822 to 1827 so  have done a  check of all counties on Scotlands People using as broad a search with wildcards, variants & surnames  beginning with Wal but no other baptisms listed which seems strange.

Like you I also tried to find Selkirks in the 1841 & 1851 Peebleshire census without success so am going to have another go at Lanark, Lesmahagow & surrounding parishes in Lanarkshire.

Agnes  8)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 11 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Also tried a further seach under Wa*er as surname but no success!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
There does seem to be a gap on the register doesn't there  :-\ I assume they remained in Lanark after their marriage given all the boys show as born there.

I was just thinking what the term 'overseer' would have meant in the early 19th C - not a specific enough occupation is it!

Monica

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 11 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Just found on Scotlands People that a grieve or farm overseer was the head worker on the farm.   

It's a pity Newlands Parish didn't record the mother's name.

I think I've looked up Peebleshire Mis at Mitchell Library in the past but will do so again just in case  I've missed something.

I might also speak to the staff at Bellshill Registration Office who now carry out family research as they have informed me in the past that they can access information which is not yet available online (£15 per hour for the service).  I haven't used this service before but have bought 100 Scotlands People credits for £10 from them.

Agnes  ;)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a Walker 'bible' for all Scottish Walkers that I have been trying to find in case any more births were listed. I have found it now, but no new info other than what you have regarding children's births. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~hockeyv/walk-w.htm - entries 50400-50404.

The Walker database might come in useful to you anyway!

Monica