Author Topic: Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. around 1785 Leominster  (Read 10319 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gatehouse, b. around 1785 Leominster
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Looking   at the Gatehouse/Gittus etc   in  Hope and  Bodenham I had little extra success but I did  find the burial  at Hope on  7 April 1839  of an Ann  Gatehouse age 70 of   Juniper?? Hill  age 84.    Possible wife of William??

I checked the earliest Parish Book from 1720’s- 1780’s and found a few bits of interest.     
The first Gittus mentioned is 1772 when a William Gittus signs with others the appointment of an overseer for Highways
1739- Elenor Gittus given money for 12 days work 
1742 Thomas Gittus signs accounts
1757/1764 Edw Gittus mentioned- Writing to poor to work out whether he was giving or receiving aid
1777 William Gittoes/Gittus mentioned as Overseer of Poor
1780 William Gatehouse mentioned at a Vestry Meeting
1786 – At Parish Meeting it is agreed that William Gatehouse have warrent to take all persons that do not belong to the Parish before a Justice to  swear their  parish so that they may be removed
1787 William Gatehouse mentioned as a Church Warden

In the Parish Book for 1823 – 1835  William Gatehouse is mentioned a number of times and Ann Gatehouse is paid in cleaning the church at different  times

Sorry there isn’t more, but  interesting that there was a William Gittus around  as earlier as 1722

Best Wishes

Kay

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 October 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Kay,

Many thanks for the huge amount of information you have kindly noted down for me. My visit to Hereford Records Office is long overdue, but I will surely go through all the records you have listed for me.

Greetings from freezing Brussels,

Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 October 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
The Parish Books are fascinating, but do depend on the handwriting of the individual.  A Williiam Vickress was the Vestry Clerk (husband of Elizabeth??) for a number of years in the 1820's and his writing was good :)

Looks like the weather may be milder next week for you   I think you may need quite a few days at the Record Office when you go!

Best Wishes Kay

Offline Stacey123076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 December 17 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cimbrio

I am really hoping that you are still on this site and will see my message. I cant tell you how exctied I was to see Elizabeth's name come up when I googled my 5xGreat Grandfather Thomas Gatehouse born in the 1790's in Hope-un-Dinmore. I have to admit my excited got the best of me and I couldn't read the remaining posts before messaging you so I am not sure if you have stated how Elizabeth is related to you but if you haven't could you possibly fill me in. Thank you so much for your time. I hope this message finds you well.

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 December 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stacey! Thank you for contacting me!
I'll send you a private message so we can exchange e-mail addresses & discuss more about our apparent connection via the Gatehouse family!
Best wishes
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline Stacey123076

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 December 17 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Cimbrio

That would be wonderful. I am new to the site so if it takes a bit for me to reply to your private message please bare with me. It may take me a bit to find it as I have not really explored the site much yet. Thank you for your quick response.

Offline Jenn700

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 November 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
If you're still interested in Elizabeth Gatehouse I've recently seen a gravestone in Marden, Herefordshire of a married couple with that surname. It's dated in the 1700's.
I can send you the photograph of this gravestone if you'd like me to.
I can't give yiyouu the first named now but I only live a couple of miles away and I will go down and sent you more details and the photograph of the grave. Hope it may help.