Author Topic: Hussey's of Dysart and later Ballynafearagh  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Jarom676

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hussey's of Dysart and later Ballynafearagh
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I come from the Hussey's who originally lived in Rathnamuddagh Dysart up until 1851 and then my Great great grandfather Thomas Hussey moved over to Ballynafeaagh (Fieldtown), Ballinea, which was and is in the same Loughnavalley/Dysart parish. He took land from a family called kiernan who had been evicted and he was the subject of a number of attacks on his family for taking this unpopular step. a relative of Hussey, James Carey was shot dead during the course of one attack in 1851. a witness to the attack, Christopher Hussey, son of Thomas subsequently emigrated to America. Thomas's son Patrick was my great grand father and his son was Thomas Joseph (Joe) who was my Grandfather.. does anyone know anything else about this family or think they might be related?

Offline Nicki88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hussey's of Dysart and later Ballynafearagh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 12 02:00 BST (UK) »
 My Hussey Family: My Great Grandfather: Edward Hussey ( b.1846, Co.Kerry) married to Julia Breslin( b.1848,Co.Claire) & his brother Patrick Hussey ( b.1850, Ireland). Found all 3 in the U.S. 1880 Census, in New Jersey.  Later same year, Edward (age26) & wife all living in San Francisco, Calif., for birth of 1st Child, Mary Anastastia.  Edward may have an older relative in S.F. Daniel (in S.F.City Directory 1890), same trade as Edward & Patrick: Brickmason, Stonemason, Bricklayer.
Edward & Julia had 5 daughter & 1 son, Daniel Hussey born 1872,S.F.CA.  Other Children are Mary b.1870,Reginnia, Anne, Lillie, Frances, all born in S.F.Ca.   Edward dies in S.F. on Dec 2,1893; obits in S.F.Call Newspaper & Julia (Breslin) Hussey dies March 13, 1894.  Two of the grown children, Daniel, Reginnia(Jean) change their last name from Hussey to Murphy ,after parents die.  Have no idea why.  Do not know much more about Edward & Julia.  If any connection to this bunch, please let me know.  Thanks , they are a mystery.   

Offline FidelmaA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
I got a surprise when I saw this post.  I have information related to the incident where James Carey was shot.  I am originally from Loughnavalley, and I am decended from the man who fired the shot & subsequently went on the run.  They were terrible times from the sounds of it.  If you are still interested and if it is not too difficult a family history for you I can send on what I have.
Best wishes,
F

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just putting up some of the townlands-

.....originally lived in Rathnamuddagh Dysart up until 1851 and then my Great great grandfather Thomas Hussey moved over to Ballynafeaagh (Fieldtown)...

Rathnamuddagh townland
https://www.townlands.ie/westmeath/moyashel-and-maheradermon/dysart/dysart/rathnamuddagh/

Ballynafearagh townland
https://www.townlands.ie/westmeath/rathconrath/churchtown/churchtown/ballynafearagh/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline FidelmaA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
These areas are all familiar to me, having grown up there 🙂.  I hope the other poster gets in touch.  As a family we knew a little about the history but we wanted to know more when an original of the reward poster came up for sale, but that's another story.  Thanks for the additional info.
All the best,
Fidelma

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Fidelma,

Jarom676 has been notified of your reply by email, they were last online at the end of 2019.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nicki88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
Just recently  received a email from roots web regarding Hussey link in Ireland. All my previous family  information remains the same: still have not many links to Ireland for either if my Irish born Great grandparents.
Will try to keep reading any notices from rootsweb! Thanks, Lily H.

Offline Jarom676

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 22 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fidelma, I can't believe I missed your post / or forgot to reply all this time. I sent you a PM there.
I know alot about the story of the shooting of James Carey and the whole background and history. I would certainly love to know more about James Kenny (if that's who you are related to). Christopher Hussey going to America and not testifying saved James Kenny's life. He would have hung otherwise probably. I recently found out what happened to Christopher in America. He left for America in the Summer of 1851 and went to stay with a Sister who had gone over before him. In 1855 he moved to Virginia and was naturalized as a citizen. He was in Alleghany county in 1860 and joined the Confederate army in May 1861 and fought with the 27th Virginia infantry and served for 2 years before sadly dying in June of 1863 of heart disease. He was only in his 30's. We never knew what happened to him. The Hussey family was in Fieldtown all the time from 1851 until we sold the farm in 1998. If you have more information on the shooting etc I'd certainly love to talk to you. (see PM I sent)