Author Topic: Coy Family Research  (Read 6805 times)

Offline AJO

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coy Family Research
« on: Thursday 10 March 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on the Coy Family from Ireland..  Brothers/Sisters/Parents Please help!!

James McCoy (COY) born abt 1848,    Bir Parsontown Offaly Ireland.  Parents James McCoy, mother unknown. All records are with COY surname

Arrival into Australia: James “Coy” Age 17  “1865”
Arrived into Australia on the immigrant ship Burlington, Captain Ellis, from London December 24th, via Plymouth January 4th 1865, arrived at the Lightship on Tuesday night, South Australia.
burlington 65-4 2 may 1864

On 14 Dec 1874 at the age of 26 he married Mary Jane Reid age 16 at Melrose, South Australia, bk 101 pg 934. On the marriage certificate is lists James McCoy as the father of John James McCoy and Adam Reid as Brides father.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Coy Family Research
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
James's birth is before the start of Full Civil registration in Ireland (1864)  so you would need to check for available church records. Do you know what religion your [Mc]Coy family were ?

see:

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
The pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation hold transcripts for parts of Co. Offaly - see www.irishgenealogy.ie

There is a possible match for your James in the RC parish of Birr in 1847. Father's name is also James. You would have to pay to view the rest of the transcript.

As well as the name of the child and date of baptism an RC baptism record from this time would usually give you the father and mother's full names (with maiden surname for mother), plus the names of sponsors or godparents. The record may give an 'address', which may be a street or townland name.

If the details fit you can opt to do an advanced search by entering the mother's name and search for possible siblings for James.

Birr RC records go back to 1838, so you may be able to find a marriage for James snr.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Eng/Wales census;
(most answers are 'Ireland')

1851; Dublin-Sligo

1861; Tipperary-Dublin

1891; Dublin-Armagh-Tipperary-Wexford

1901; Dublin- Wicklow-Limerick

1911; Wexford-Galway-Queens-Roscommon-Limerick-Derry-Dublin-Loughrea.

(will supply detail if required)
---------------
Jack

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Australian Court & Probate records;

Coy Margaret; 24, (trial) Clare 1849
Coy Martin; 27, Clare 1849
Coy James;      Cork 1849
------------------
Jack

Offline AJO

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 11 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone, I am only new to this researching.. Thanks for the direction and how to search the Irish records.. I greatly appreicate it..

Through doing the family tree my father is today meeting his grandfathers brothers and sisters relations in South Australia.  It has been great to hear how excited mum and dad are..