Author Topic: Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, Abergavenny  (Read 9979 times)

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, Abergavenny
« on: Saturday 12 March 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Are any of their records digitised yet?  I would love to do research on Henry Hignell ( who was listed as Henry Wignell on the 1891 census for the Hospital) who died in 1892.  In 1881, he was living with his Sister, and daughter. 

I'd love to look at the following records:

Admissions Register D. 3202.30.1-10
1881-92

Male case records book D. 3202. 40 . 1-10 1885-1894; and

Burial Register
D. 3252.2
1890-1918

Maybe it's on Rootsweb, and I don't know where to look

Offline djunna

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to better people.
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, Abergavenny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Kiki

I did get to the records office last week.  I was given 3 huge books to go through, but they didnt go up to the years you wanted. Didnt find my lot there either, so was a waste of a day really. Am going back soon so will look again for you.

9 out of 10 of the patients seemed to be suffering from Mania tho. and it gives details of how often the attacks were, when was the last attack and weather they were-Recovered, Still Affected or Dead

Darren
Bickford - Bilston
Collard - Tredegar Monmouthshire
Eldridge - Pontypool/Baglan
Falvey - Pontypool/ Ireland
Hayes - Cork Ireland
Jones - Pontypool/Llangarren
Lundrigan -Pontypool/ Ireland
Price - Abersychan

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Oh, I would beg, borrow or steal to get to the Record Office. I'm surprised they don't have the books on microfiche--it must be quite a kick, handling the original volumes.

But the genealogy gods are fickle--I found a missing daughter of Henry Hignell quite by chance on the Newport past website.  When she wasn't listed with the household in 1871 I figured she had died, or emigrated.  Turned out she was doing three months hard labor at Usk prison for stealing a pair of 'trowsers'.  Additional searching on the British Library website ( 19th Century Newspapers) revealed that the pants belonged to her Father, who pressed charges because she was 'a bad girl'.

Offline egghead5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

What sort of information would they hold at the records office on inmates of Abergavenny Lunatic Asylum.  I already know that my 2x gt granmother died there in Sep 1918 and not really sure of what other information I could get from records there.   I always assumed it was some kind of poor relief place.  Does anyone know if they hold photographs in the records of inmates?  Would value opinions and thoughts from anyone.   

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I think the records will be quite helpful.  I asked a researcher to look up my GGG GF's records.  ( Henry Hignell, committed in 1886, died in 1892).  His records were brief.  Poor Grandpa Hignell thought he'd been given a legacy from Queen Victoria, and no longer had to work, but men were following him and trying to murder him and take the money.  He became rather violent when told there was no legacy.

If your ancestress was mentally ill, the notes will describe her delusions, wh. or not she was violent.  If he died in the asylum, it will contain a record of her hospitalization. 

It's well worth a look--I think the post Victorian records would be more complete, and have more detailed notes on her illness and treatment. 

One note was rather touching.  It said Henry Hignell worked in the garden; was quiet and well behaved.  His Father was a farmer who emigrated from Henbury to Newport Mon.  I bet he was reliving his childhood, and would have been happier as a farmer or farm hand, rather than a dock worker.

Offline egghead5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't thought about getting so much information, that would be really good. 

Do you have the name of the person who looked it up for you?  A few years ago someone gave me a family wedding photograph and they thought she was in it.  As she died that year I had my doubts.  If I could confirm when she was admitted to the asylum then that would good.  It would be great if I lived near and could do it myself but I don't think thats likely. 

Thankyou.

Offline soundasapound

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I think that sometimes they wrote a physical description of the individual and / or whether or not they had physical ailments ie/ lameness etc....

Offline egghead5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou,  Hope to make the journey to Wales one day and visit the records office.  I would love to confirm if the photo I have is her and why she was put in the lunatic asylum?  However its looking like digitization may happen before I ever get there.

If ever anyone is visiting and wouldn't mind looking for the records of Ellen Woodyatt nee Powell she died 14 September 1914 in Abergavenny Lunatic Asylum, i would be eternally gratefull.

Offline Woody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am sorry I don't know your name but I just got onto this web site by chance as I was looking into my family tree.
Ellen Powell had a son and his name was Charles Philip Woodyatt.
He went on to have a son called Wyndham Charles Woodyatt who was my grandfather. So that would make Ellen Powell my great grandfathers mother. So I believe that makes Ellen Powell my great great grandmother.
I know that this is a big ask but would you be so kind as to show me somehow any pictures you may have of the family.
I have never seen a picture of Ellen's children including my great grandfather Charles Philip Woodyatt or my grandfather Wyndham Charles Woodyatt.
I am going to talk to my sister( she's very good at this) about getting some more information about Ellen's stay in the Asylum it seems Ellen was not that old when she passed away.
Sorry this is such a long winded message and I hope you don't mind me contacting you.
Regards
Elizabeth