Author Topic: John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins  (Read 14534 times)

Offline Paul VD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins
« on: Sunday 13 March 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I seeking further information on this family. It appears they are buried in St Mullins church yard and show up onthe 1901 census, Carlow-Glynn - Bauck. See excerpt image

Attached are photos taken in New Ross and id's would be appreciated. My line is that of Patrick Purcell who emigrated to Troy NY.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Purcell and Mary Fleming near St. Mullins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Here are the likely index references for the deaths you mentioned. These can be used to order certs from the GRO.

Name: John Purcell
 Registration district: New Ross
 Event type: Death
 Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1915
 Volume : 4 / Page : 488

Name: Mary Purcell
 Event type: Death
 Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1913
 Volume : 4 / Page : 427

Death certs would give you location and cause of death, and also an informant - which may be a family member.

See :

Introduction to Irish Records
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Death Cert

Here's a link to the family on the 1901 census for Reference - Purcell household - 1901

The household is located in Co. Carlow, and quite a distance from New Ross... did the family move to Co. Wexford at some stage ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
here's the same household on the 1911 census - surname mis-transcribed as Parcell, and townland mis-transcribed as Banck

Purcell household, Bauck townland, Co. Carlow

The townland of Bauck is 15 km inside Co. Carlow, but is in the registration district based in New Ross, Co. Wexford.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
here's a possible match for the birth of their daughter Johanna, from the extracted records on familysearch :

Name: Johanna Purcell
  Birth date: 04 Aug 1878
  Birthplace: St. Mullins, Carlow
  Parents : John Purcell & Mary Fleming

Unfortunately there's no reference number in these particular records, and there are two possible matches on the Civil BMD Index :

Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1878
  Volume : 4 / Page : 763

Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1878
  Volume : 4 / Page : 780

On the 1911 census John and Mary indicate they are married 50 about years, so about 1861, so a search of parish records will be required to check for a possible marriage for them.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 March 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
details of a number of children to John and Mary are listed on FamilySearch - see : Purcell/Fleming children

William, John, Patrick, Martin, Mary and James - all registered in Co. Carlow. Due to the marriage date being before the start of full civil registration, there could possibly be additional children not included in this data if they were born before 1864.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Paul VD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Shane thank you so much. the family group shot is taken In Kilkenny so it may be the family might be John Hayden and Bridget Murphy of Graiguenamagh. Their daughters Kate and Margaret came to the USA near Albany NY. Margaret married Patrick Purcell son of John and Mary.

I have another battered photo that may be both Johanna and Mary ( Minnie) that I will post later. Another brother Thomas, lived in Chicago. I have some photos of his family as well. This is his son's birth certifcate.

Paul

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
sorry - full certs are not permitted on RootsChat... just small extracts. Usually so that people can assist in deciphering difficult to read names & places etc.

I've replaced the full cert image with a smaller section.

I think this thread might be better off in the section for Co. Carlow - I dont see any specific Wexford connections at the moment ... is it ok if I move it for you ?

Leinster Moderator.
My Surname Interests

Offline Paul VD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Shane as to the family moving I do not know I only just recently verfied that the St Mullins area was definitely the "target". Bernard was one of the youngest of 9 siblings and much was lost over the years. He had journied back to Ireland in the early 1980's and had met kin there but much of the details were lost. ( although my nephew has his hand written notes that I have yet to review.) Various other kin have done some tracking but again not really passed along.

Anyhow my working assumption is that location of the government entity responsible for the area shifted over time. I also assume since Graiguenamagh is relatively close but most photos come from either Kilkenny or New Ross that there were few photographers at first most likely just the larger cities. These are likely to be around the turn of the century with the tinttypes going back to the late 1800's. I will have to research the photos by area to know for sure but that's a rough guess. I am told you can tell by the technology and the dress/ composition much about dates. Thomas we are told by family legend came over first and went to Chicago. Patrick it is said followed but moved to Troy. As Patirck was about 19 when he emigrated it confirms the notion that Thomas was older. He give his age as 38 when his son is born in 1902 and died 1/13/1941 at age 76. So he was born around 1865 or 1864 making him one of the older siblings.

Offline Paul VD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Sure I didn't know about the full cert rule. Anyhow fine except that it is referencing St. Mullins in Carlow Co. as the place of birth of Thomas Purcell the boy's father.