Author Topic: WYBUNBURY & AUDLEM PARISH RECORDS  (Read 14550 times)

Offline Ali M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WYBUNBURY & AUDLEM PARISH RECORDS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  my Mulliners were in Wybunbury/ Audlem several centuries earlier and by the 1830s were firmly Mullineux .  So I don't think our families are linked.

I have had a look  at John & Ann though and have a suggestion.   The spread of  birth years of  children of John and Ann Mulliner in Wybunbury  from  1803 till at least 1817  suggests only one couple, so although there are 3 John and Ann Mulliner marriages in Audlem  all of whom COULD have been Elizabeth's parents  I would go for John and Ann nee Littler married January 1802 in Audlem   and assume  all the other children are Elizabeth's siblings.(or at least until proved otherwise!)  I notice their 1803 son was named Samuel.  That might be a clue to John's father's name.  Hope this is of some help
warm wishes, Alison in NZ
Shropshire :  Mullineux, Vaughan, Middle
Lancashire: Neale and variants, Edwards
Warwickshire: Lapworth
Devon: Hamblin(g), Cleverley, Jarvis
Oxfordshire: Castle, Haynes, Eden
Northants: Gibbins
Staffs:  Gilbert

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 October 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ali. As you say, there are births to John and Ann Mulliner stretching from 1803 - actually to 1822, or even 1826. It's not impossible they were all to the same couple, though if so I feel sorry for Ann who must have been carrying children around for most of 20 years or so.
But there is at least one, maybe two, marriages that might fit the idea of two or more sets of parents named John and Ann Mulliner. John and Ann Littler were married in Acton, not Audlem and, although it's still South Cheshire, subsequent birthplaces point to baptisms at Wybunbury or Audlem.
A John married Ann Harvey (also known as Nancey) in 1804 in Audlem, but their family is fairly well documented later so I have ruled them out.
But there is also John to Ann Hayward in Audlem on 1.8.1813 and that was my original assumption until I found the earlier births.
Hence my enquiry to see if anyone else had information to sort this out. I'll continue to ponder, but you have certainly given me food for thought - thanks

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 October 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
The Cheshire Parish Register Project is still available @
    cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

All the parish registers for Wybunbury and Audlem were indexed there.  I have used the site extensively as I have Hockenhull and Turners in Wybunbury and Parkers in Audlem.

There is a book in the Cheshire Archives that was compiled by the sexton detailing where he buried individuals and their relationships - very useful!

Hope you all have some success at the site.
Doolittle72

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think I have now resolved this. I looked at the marriage record for Ann Littler and John Mulliner in 1802. It doesn't show her parents, which would have helped to establish her birth date. But it does show a witness as Margaret Littler. There are a few Ann Littlers born in the right time frame for someone married in 1802, but there is a Margaret Littler born Bunbury in 1782 to William (mother not shown, even though she did all the hard work). William of Bunbury also had a daughter Ann baptised 19.12.79.
I know that my ancestor Ann Mulliner died in 1849 aged 70 so that fits nicely.
That leaves the question of their children. I had looked for all little Mulliners born to John and Ann  and found 12 between 1803 and 1822 (including my ancestor Elizabeth). One was born in Audlem, and fits my original favourites (John and Ann nee Haywood, married in Audlem in 1813). Then I found Ann Mulliner died in Audlem in 1820 aged 34, so that fits that one and rules out a link on my tree.
Of the rest - the first was born in Gresty (my own birthplace 140 years later). More on that below.
But then the remaining 10 are fairly evenly spaced between 1804 and 1822 in Hatherton, then Stapeley, then back to Hatherton. As they are adjoining parishes, I'm accepting them as one family.
That just leaves the one born in Gresty - Samuel, baptised 30.12.1803 to John and Ann. The dates fit a marriage in December 1802 but it's even further away from Acton than Stapeley/Hatherton so I'll have to check for any other John and Ann that might fit that one.
Isn't detective work fun? But none of this would have happened if Alison had not switched my attention to Ann Littler instead of Ann Heywood. So many thanks - another gold star for Rootschat!

Offline Ali M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 October 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
I'm impressed!    you've done a great piece of detective work there & glad to be of help.  best wishes, Alison
Shropshire :  Mullineux, Vaughan, Middle
Lancashire: Neale and variants, Edwards
Warwickshire: Lapworth
Devon: Hamblin(g), Cleverley, Jarvis
Oxfordshire: Castle, Haynes, Eden
Northants: Gibbins
Staffs:  Gilbert

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 October 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thought I should add to say that once again it seems I am on the wrong track. The Ann Littler in the Bunbury area seems to have married Samuel Dodd on 17.2.1806 at Bunbury. Having established her parents plus 10 siblings, and starting to go back on that Littler family, that's frustrating to say the least.
So now I am going back to see if I can identify the Ann Littler who married John Mulliner at Acton on 28.12.1802, with a witness named Margaret Littler who must surely be a sister or mother. Is there an emoji for "bangs head against a wall"?