Author Topic: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth  (Read 18274 times)

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 April 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
John,

Sorry, my comment was misleading - what I meant was that we knew he was buried there (thanks to your research) but the staff could find no mention of a burial plot number or anything to say he was definitely in the larger graveyard. The larger one seems quite well documented but not the smaller one, hence the supposition that he is buried there. That is also borne out by the fact that it was the original graveyard  and John is buried with Mary, who died many years before him.

I must remember to proof-read before posting.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
I thought the two books you are talking about were the sextons books for the new graveyard. Each book had slightly different entry's for the burial plots, it looked like one looked after one part of the graveyard while the other looked after another part. I might have been reading them wrong.
Never thought before but there could have been a plaque to the Reverend and his wife inside the chapel so you could  ask the residents if they know anything. I usually send a nice letter with a stamp addressed envelop.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 April 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Managed to spend a bit more time looking into the  chapel records.
From your earlier message you are descended from Joseph Cockin who was born 18 March 1818, baptised at the chapel on the 3 July 1818, another two bothers and two sisters baptised at the chapel.
Also John Kirby Cockin son of Joseph & Abigail Maria Cockin of Bradford was born on the 21 October 1847 and baptised 7 February 1848.
I think one of his brothers also had a child baptised at the chapel he was John Garforth Cockin. (A John Garford Cockin was part of a team that first concured mount Shkhora, Georgia, Russia.)
I cannot find the Rev John Cockin's marriage or any baptism records for him and some of my findings seem to differ from some of the other research.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
The hunt continues for the grave of John Cockin and his family - we finally made it over to Holmfirth at the weekend!

We found what was the old chapel on Upperthong Lane is now a private house and not flats as we thought. Having knocked on the door and found the owner at home, he kindly agreed to let us look in his garden, which is indeed the former graveyard, with many stones still there, forming the steps, paths and bbq area! All the remains were re-interred many years ago, just leaving the stones. It is a beautiful garden, with the stones (some still standing) amongst rhododenrons, mature trees and modern garden equipment, but sadly our search revealed no clear grave for John Cockin.

There is one possibility - an upright stone forming part of a retaining wall, but only the top part is visible, with the words "In sacred memory" and Joh"showing. This COULD be his, but as he was put in the same grave as his wife Mary (who died many years before him) I suspect that the gravestone will have her name at the top. The owner was extremely helpful and has kept my details so he can let me know if he does find anything - but I don't think we'll ever know if this grave is the correct one, as the rest of that stone is buried under the patio!

Thanks again to everyone who researched and helped me track the spot down.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Glad you had a good trip to Holmfirth and that you found residents helpful. good luck with your research- I'll keep a look out for anything that might be of use to you.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 January 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding Chapels converted into dwellings, or other premises, with a Cemetery or Graveyard, or burial sites with no building.

I am fairly certain that under past PPG (Planning Policy Guidance), relating to History and Heritage and the current NPPF (National Planning Policy Framework), see also Historic England (formerly English Heritage) advice online, that as part of the Planning permission, all the memorials ought to be recorded in writing and ALSO photographed and ALSO referenced to a Plan, before work starts and it should be on the Planning file, many Councils have these files, or Plans going back over 100 years.

They are also required to keep Planning Files, so don't be fobbed off.

Any Memorial disturbed, covered etc., should have a permanent record made, this applies to floors, walls, graveyards and even where the building is not Listed, or there is no building anymore. Planning should have this info.

Email the Council Planning Dept currently responsible for Planning Applications where the Chapel stands, also email the Council's Planning Conservationist and also email the County Planning Archaeologist and HER (Historic Environment Record) you should find their contact emails online.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 January 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I am told, by Law that on/with Property Deeds, a record of everyone buried there MUST be recorded, so if the planning authority have granted permission (after the change in this Law) for the Chapel to become a dwelling and no Burial Register/s covering the whole burial period, is/are known. The Planning Dept., MUST have commissioned an authorised Survey of all the headstones, BEFORE any work commenced.

Also, council's have planning responsibilities to record Memorials at and around the property, when a planning application comes before them, whether the building is Listed or not and also make any planning conditions about what can/cannot be done in the future as well, with the memorials.

You should also find in the chapel conversion planning application, a 'change of use' from Cemetery to garden, where the pre application Survey might be, if not with the main planning application.

If the council try to argue, there is no change of use application to garden, then the Memorials in the garden, ought to be exactly as they were - pre planning application.

I would be most surprised and shocked indeed, if some are now under a patio and nobody has an authorised record of the memorials. You could say a 'grave failing', if you pardon the pun.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
LANE- was/is an area of Holmfirth (Not as name of a road or lane as a road on its own)

See map Upperthong lane (The area name LANE on map is just above the LANE chapel on the 1850's map in link)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/100949153

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5693102,-1.7894811,18.1z
--------------------------------------
"The History and Topography of the Parish of Kirkburton and of the Graveship of Holme including Holmfirth",  by H J Morehouse (1861

Holmfirth Lane Independent Chapel
 Burials pre 1850
 Not available. Some were recorded by HJ Morehouse

information about the area and its people in the mid 19th century, including some unique lists of monumental inscriptions including those at the original burial ground for Lane

http://www.familiesrevealed.com/page11.htm

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
It would eventually be interesting to know if the local council/planning dept can produce the relevant records - they are currently not known for their competence or speedy actions!
PS (not relevant to Lane Chapel which is/was indeed on the road up from Holmfirth to Upperthong, but there is also a hamlet not far away also called Lane: it is just beyond Holme village on the road to Holme Moss)