Author Topic: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth  (Read 18291 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 March 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello BlackpoolBelle, dobfarm and All

I am looking for information about a Jane Cockin who was a witness on an 1815 George Hood, Selby Marriage Register entry and just found this during my searches ...

Is this OCR scan text of a book description, any help in your general family history research, found in a list of old book titles online?

LVIII. REV. J. COCKIN, and his Son. In 1829, Joseph Cockin's Memoirs, a large volume of viii. and 248 pages, was printed by John Vint, Idle, for the author the Rev. John Cockin. An engraved portrait of the Rev. Joseph Cookin, drawn by Woodman, 1828, serves as a frontispiece, but a much more characteristic one, drawn by T. Blood, is given in the second edition (1841) of the Memoirs of the REV. JOSEPH COCKIN, Late Minister of the Gospel at Halifax, in-cluding accounts of some of his friends; written partly by himself and continued by his son, John Cockin.

At Selby, Yorkshire, it would appear Independent and Congregational / Congregationalist were the same?

A search for 'Cockin' gives many results ...
https://archive.org/stream/halifaxbooksauth00turnuoft

Be handy to find the actual Memoirs online?

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 18 March 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello BlackpoolBelle

Further to the book reference, is this any use? ...

Leeds Intelligencer - 31st January 1803

"A few days ago died, aged 76, Mrs Hepworth, mother of Mr Cockin, dissenting minister, in Halifax."

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 19 March 16 19:49 GMT (UK) »
In case you are planning a visit, the Tourist Information Centre in Holmfirth has moved into the Library building.
If you are planning to visit the Library in Huddersfield, you need the Local STUDIES Library on the first floor.
Tra La La

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 27 May 16 10:25 BST (UK) »

I am looking for information about a Jane Cockin who was a witness on an 1815 George Hood, Selby Marriage Register entry

At Selby, Yorkshire, it would appear Independent and Congregational / Congregationalist were the same.

Regards Mark

How are you getting on, with your grave search?

Another burial ground is mentioned in Holmfirth, the Lydgate Unitarian Chapel, New Mill, Holmfirth. The Unitarians there, have an old Burial Ground there and say this (below), so I have made enquiries about my George Hood, who died 18 September 1845:-

"We have a grave plan and some marriage, naming and burial records. Please consult our Secretary for details."

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 08 July 16 23:25 BST (UK) »

I am looking for information about a Jane Cockin who was a witness on an 1815 George Hood, Selby Marriage Register entry and just found this during my searches ...

Is this OCR scan text of a book description, any help in your general family history research, found in a list of old book titles online?

LVIII. REV. J. COCKIN, and his Son. In 1829, Joseph Cockin's Memoirs, a large volume of viii. and 248 pages, was printed by John Vint, Idle, for the author the Rev. John Cockin. An engraved portrait of the Rev. Joseph Cookin, drawn by Woodman, 1828, serves as a frontispiece, but a much more characteristic one, drawn by T. Blood, is given in the second edition (1841) of the Memoirs of the REV. JOSEPH COCKIN, Late Minister of the Gospel at Halifax, in-cluding accounts of some of his friends; written partly by himself and continued by his son, John Cockin.

At Selby, Yorkshire, it would appear Independent and Congregational / Congregationalist were the same?

Regards Mark

Hi Mark, & sorry for the very late reply - I had no idea anyone had posted on this thread until just now.

Thanks for the link, but I actually now have a copy of Joseph Cockin's memoirs. I went to Halifax Library to see it & then discovered that my aunt had a copy on her bookshelf! Sadly it doesn't say much more than I'd already found - he refers to his wife as "Mrs Cockin" each time & says very little about his personal life, but is mostly about his sermons.

Yes, Independent & Congregational are the same.

I'm slightly confused about the Mrs Hepworth reference, as no-one of that name has come up in all the records. Also, wouldn't Rev Cockin's mother be called Mrs Cockin? Any explanations would be most welcome.

I will certainly keep an eye out for any mention of Jane Cockin & let you know - but as I've discovered, Cockin was a very common name in the area so it might be hard to identify which Jane is actually your Jane.

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 08 July 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
Reminder -Burial record John Cockin died October 1861 and should be in the records

Holmfirth, Lane C WYK1080  burials 1858-1984 held at Kirklees WYAS or on film in the Huddersfield library

Noting he was a long serving minister one would think a memorial would be in the chapel

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%202.pdf

Thank you for this, but sadly the chapel is no longer a chapel - it was sold in 2001 and is now a private house, presumably without the pictures. The owner kindly let us explore his garden when we were searching for the grave, but as per previous posts, some of the gravestones are semi-underground.

It will be worth contacting the historical records office though, as they may have the pictures.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 July 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello BlackpoolBelle

"A few days ago died, aged 76, Mrs Hepworth, mother of Mr Cockin, dissenting minister, in Halifax."

Kind regards, Mark

Hello BlackpoolBelle

I presume Mr Cockin's mother probably got remarried?

There was a John Cockin and a Joseph Cockin (both Ministers) for Holmfirth and Halifax, Yorkshire. Seems they travelled to other meetings in Yorkshire.

Interested in all information, about any Jane Cockin, of 1815.

Regards Mark

I presume you saw the link, once you see the book, it gives a number of "Cockin" results re Holmfirth and elsewhere, when searched electronically.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello BlackpoolBelle

Kind regards, Mark

Hi BlackpoolBelle

I've got problems too with my George Hood at Selby, Yorkshire, one of the 1815 Marriage Witnesses signed James Cookin, alias James Cockin we believe and kind Rootschatters have discovered an 1830 William Cockin, Marriage, signed we believe by John Hepworth.

In view of the newspaper obit (quoted) and the marriage find I've posted this reply and link.

See (Reply 93) ... "George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W" thread.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6158639#msg6158639

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 October 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello All

BlackpoolBelle, just found this in the Leeds Intelligencer and wondered if it might be of any use to you, a James Cockin at Manchester, younger Son of the Rev. John Cockin ...

Leeds Intelligencer, 22nd February 1845

James Cockin & Martha Moulding

Monday last, at the Baptist Chapel, Bingley, Mr. Jas. Cockin, carpet merchant, Manchester, younger son of the Rev. John Cockin, of Holmfirth, to Martha, elder daughter of the late Mr Samuel Moulding, worsted spinner and manufacturer, Bingley.

----------

Anyone seen these signatures, please?

Some searching has already been done in online images, but if either below are seen in an Archive document (especially George Hood's), I'd certainly be interested in the date and Archive document reference?

a) James Cockin. I am still looking to confirm the ownership of this signature (attached July 1815 Selby Marriage).

b) George Hood. Also if anyone comes across a match for the George Hood signature top left of this post or signature on the marriage entry, please take a note of date and document reference and let me know?

Thank you, Mark