Author Topic: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth  (Read 18194 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lane Independent Chapel, Holmfirth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I just have the recollection that chapel has been converted into a private house and that the graveyard is in front of it but closed off- still can't recall what the access arrangements are.
Will try to nip over to have a look tomorrow to refresh my memory and then report back.

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - as a newcomer to Rootschat, the help and info I've received has been brilliant.

I wonder who now owns the land of the graveyard? Also, do you have any idea who will have the burial records for the church? I'd like to find out more about his wife Mary as all I know is her name, their marriage date plus the supposition that she must have died quite young as John Cockin is on his own in every later census.

Looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks once again.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I managed to get to the Huddersfield library and had a look at there catalogue and there is some king of grave register for Lane chapel but some kind person seems to have but them in the wrong place or spirited them away.
I will try again the next time I'm in the library

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - so near and yet so far!

I've had responses from both Huddersfield FHS and the library, and have discovered that the chapel is now converted into flats, with the graveyard forming part of the outdoor space for them. My contact wasn't sure about access but is very kindly going to make enquiries for me.

I also know that John's wife Mary died along with 4 of their daughters in an epidemic, presumably before 1841 as he is on his own in the census. He was buried along with them at Holmfirth. So far I've only found 2 of his daughters so I hope either grave records or possibly a trip to try and find the grave will give me details of the missing children.

Thaks again for your help,
Angela

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 March 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Managed to find the fiches in the Huddersfield Library. (someone had put them in with the Hosreforth records)

The interment book is very hard to read but I did find the Rev. John Cockin's entry; interment 1861 Rev John Cockin 43 years minister of Lane Chapel Holmfirth who died on Thursday  the 17 Oct and was buried there on the 23 Oct 1861.
There seems to be a couple of earlier entries but they are just about unreadable. I think they say Mrs Cockin and Cockin child and there isn't any dates.
I also looked in the Sextons book but I didn't see anything, parts of them are unreadable too so no luck.
I looks in the Huddersfield Weekly Examiner and in the 26 October 1861 there is a fair size obit but no mention of his wife.
After spending all the time looking for the fiches I only had time to look through a couple of baptisms and I found this one
Joseph Cockin of John & Mary Cockin of Lane Uppertong born 18 March 1817 baptised 3 July 1817.
I noticed that a Leonard Cockin had some children baptised at the chapel around the same period and his wife is down as a Mary so there could be two Mary Cockin's in the same area so you will have to be careful.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 March 11 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Visited Holmfirth today- always pleased to go back to my birthplace.
There are 2 graveyards for Lane Chapel:
1 immediately in front of the former chapel building in Upperthong Lane, but it is now a private garden, screened by a bamboo palissade, through which it looks as if the memorial stones have been preserved- not sure how you would negotiate access.
2nd, bigger main graveyard is slightly above the chapel and lies between Upp. Lane and the main road, Parkhead Road. It is well-kept but locked with notices on each gate saying that the key can be obtained fron Holmfirth Tourist office or other enquiries to Trust +properties Sec.,United reformed Church, Somerset House, St. Paul's Street, Morley. LS27 9EP.
At the risk of appearing a bit cavalier, I would suggest that it should be  quite easy to hop over the relatively low wall at the bottom of the Graveyard in Parkhead Rd. and thereby gain access - though the gates are locked, no other measures have been taken to keep people out.
Good Luck!
By the way, your Reverend would no doubt have baptised some of my own forebears.

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Thank you so much John and bykerlads - above and beyond!!

I only posted my tentative query 4 days ago, and I already have loads of information I didn't know, including interment date and the position of the graveyard.

John - thank you very much for all the microfiche reading. How frustrating it must be to find things, then to find them virtually unreadable. I have found the baptisms for some of his children at familysearch.org but no mention of the others. I too noticed Leonard & Mary Cockin - yet more difficulties in identifying the right one!

bykerlads - really specific info on the graveyard - thank you so much for your efforts and I think a trip to Holmfirth is definitely on the cards now. I looked at the street view on Google maps and I quite agree about the wall - but I'm not posting whether I will be climbing it.... Watch this space.

It would be handy to know which graveyard he's interred in, and I will contact the URC church but I don't imagine I'll find out. Fingers crossed.

Thanks once again, and if you ever need anything in the Fylde area of Lancs, just ask.

Angela

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thaks to all the help I've received on this forum, I've made lost of progress in my hunt for John Cockin's grave.

I've had several communications from a very helpful lady at Huddersfield Library Local Studies who has searched burial and interment records for me. She can find no record of him in the larger graveyard, which we've interpreted as meaning he is probably buried in the smaller one - now the garden of private residences. The sexton's book of burials here is illegible, sadly, so we can't actually confirm it.

I've also heard from the URC church who oversees things, and learned that the small graveyard has some stones and is also a memorial garden with plaques. It should be possible to access with permission from the house opposite, allowed for "all authorised persons", ie. me!

Hopefully we will eventually get over to Holmfirth and have a look for ourselves - meanwhile, my sincere thanks to everyone here who offered suggestions and went and looked for me.

Angela

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 April 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
In my earlier message I gave you the entry from the Interment book.
This came from the fiches in the local history department of the Huddersfield library so the staff should have been able to find it.
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb