Author Topic: Laine houses still standing  (Read 8731 times)

Offline pc_bell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laine houses still standing
« on: Monday 14 March 11 04:35 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendent of the Laine family who lived in Guernsey.  I believe there are a group of Laine homes, namely La Grande Maison - Les Hougues - La Maison d'Aval - Le Vaugrat - Le Martins, still standing.  These homes form virtually a small village, I think in Vale and I would really appreciate it, if someone could kindly photograph them for me.  In particular I would like to see La Grande Maison if you were only able to photograph one of them.  I have traced my family back to 1588 and to have some photos would be the 'icing on the cake'.
Thankyou in anticipation.
Colleen Bell
Sydney
Australia

Offline LisaCLaine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Laine houses still standing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Lisa Laine. 

I am the Grand daughter to the Laine's who live at the bottom of Vaugrat.  Rossington is still in the family, my Aunty owns the small cottage to the left and lets it out, my Grand uncle owns the bungalow opposite which he built himself.  Meadow villa was recently sold after my Great Gran took a bad turn and was moved to an old peoples home she is still alive and just turned i think 106/7 years today.  The house was sold for approx £600'000 and still needed another £400'000 spent on it as it needed a new roof, had slight subsidence and also needed to be put on mains water as it was still on a well.  The people who bought it are currently renovating the property.  Now i'm not sure whether it was my great grand father or my 2'nd great grand father but there also a bunch of 8 semi-detached homes that one of them built in Le Friquet Castel (Catel) the e has a hat.  All apart from one have now been sold on. I am sorry but i dont have any photos of the homes that i am able to download onto my computer.  However any family history you have i would be really interested to see, if you would be happy to forward it on.  My Grand Father has traced our side back to the 1600's and i would like to compare them.  Unfortunetly his records are all on paper and between my dad and myself we are trying to get it onto computer but there is a lot of information to process.

Offline pc_bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa,
Thankyou for getting in touch with me.  I will give you a rough run down on my Laine side of the family and if you want further information, just let me know.
I am descended from Jean Laine (1568) and Michelle Robin.  Estienne Laine(1595-1646) and Susanne Nant (1616-1702) Jean Layne (1643-1681) and Judith Quetier (1653-1685) Samuel Laine (1679-) and Michelle Robin (m Nov 1704) Jean Laine (1707-1798) and Marie Falla (- 1742) Jean Laine (1739-1817) and Anne de Jersey (1749-1827) James Laine (1774-1832) and Susanne LeMessurier (1783-1856) George Laine (1820-1868) and Emma Louise Glanville (1825-1889)  LeMessurier Laine (1861 - 1944) and Mary Pullan (1867-1935)
George and Emma emigrated to N.Z. and LeMessurier Laine (my great grandfather) was born in N.Z.
I have more information on other branches of the family and would love to hear from you about which line you are descended from.  I am sure we have a common ancestor, at least in the original Jean who came from Normandy.
Kind regards,
Colleen Bell

Offline Ben Laine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi colleen,

my name is Ben Laine and i live in Bolton, UK. i am very interested in my family history and have the same ancestry as from Jean Laisne and michelle robin up until Jean Layne and Judith Quetier. your family tree then follows down from samuel laine, but ours follows down from his brother, Abraham Laine! it seems such a small world when you are uncovering things like this! we have been trying to find out records of any family members before Jean Laisne (1568) for a few years now but have had no luck. just thought you might be interested, as i was as you are the first person i have come across that has a similar ancestry as us!
hope you can reply,
thanks,
Ben Laine

Offline pc_bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

Nice to hear from you.  I am sorry but Jean Laisne is as far back as I go and because he left Cherbourg in France to go to Guernsey our search would have to go back to there.  I would certainly be keen to hear from you should you learn anything more about the family.  The Laine's on my side of the family eventually ended up in N.Z.  This was George Laine who was my gg grandfather. He came out to N.Z. on the ship the Victory  in 1857.
Do keep in touch if I can help you with anything else.

Colleen Bell

Offline Marc Laine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 December 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Guys

I can provide the pictures of the Grande Maison.  I have the Laine tree on computer along with Laine information, including a copy of the certificate of naturalisation Jean had when he came to Guernsey from France.  i would be happy to provode a copy. Please email me on (*).

Rgds

Marc

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline pc_bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marc,
Thankyou for emailing with regards to Laine houses in Guernsey.  I have since received copies of the houses required but one I forgot about was Le Maingys if you happened to have a copy of that.  Do you know whether any of the houses are still occupied by Laine's?
I am hoping to write a book on my Laine family and would love to have some more information about the earlier members of the family.
Which line of Laine's do you come from and are you living in Guernsey"?

Hope to hear from you soon
Regards, Colleen Bell

Offline pc_bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 December 12 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi colleen,

my name is Ben Laine and i live in Bolton, UK. i am very interested in my family history and have the same ancestry as from Jean Laisne and michelle robin up until Jean Layne and Judith Quetier. your family tree then follows down from samuel laine, but ours follows down from his brother, Abraham Laine! it seems such a small world when you are uncovering things like this! we have been trying to find out records of any family members before Jean Laisne (1568) for a few years now but have had no luck. just thought you might be interested, as i was as you are the first person i have come across that has a similar ancestry as us!
hope you can reply,
thanks,
Ben Laine

Offline Marc Laine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Coleen, lisa and Ben

please email me on marc.laine@c5alliance.com, I will send you lots of Laine family information, I even have a copy of the certificate of naturalisation for Jean.  Did you know there is a Laine window at St Sampsons church and a family crest?  If you google my name plus Guernsey you will see I am a prominant Laine here in Guernsey.

thanks

marc