Author Topic: Thomas Stanley McGowan  (Read 1982 times)

Offline CMBS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Stanley McGowan
« on: Monday 14 March 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Searching for info on death of Thomas Stanley McGowan born 1901 in Newcastle upon Tyne. He joined the Merchant Navy aged 16/17yrs and was believed to have drowned in approx 1917 off the Russian Coast.  His parents were Stanley and Maud (née Reynolds) McGowan.   

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Stanley McGowan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,,,I had a look on the

GRO MARINE DEATHS INDICES (1903 to 1965)1919 - 1919

i searched from 1915 to 1919,,,in 1919 there is this record

Stanley McGowan age 17 ship was the "Hanau"  page 207

if he used Stanley as his first name,,and he hadnt reached his 18th birthday yet that year,,it could be him????
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CMBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 11 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt reply and info.
Do you know if the Hanua sailed at any time off the Russian Coast?
I was told that Thomas Stanley had left his ship and was in a rowing boat and was heading towards the coast when his boat was hit by a wave and he was drowned. His mother, my great Grandmother, received a letter from the Captain of the ship but unfortunately the letter has been destroyed.
Regards.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
i tried searching for the ship,,,but no luck,,,you could try the "miramar ship index" site,,,,you can sign up for a free trial...i had already done this,,so couldnt access the records.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CMBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I'll try the index you suggested.

Offline mmccartney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi. My Nana is Maud Reynolds, daughter of Maud and Stanley. So Thomas is her brother. She and my Dad and his brothers have past on and one of my sisters and I are trying to trace this side of the family, particularly our Romani side (great Grandma Maud). We'd love to connect. 

Cheers, Marina
McCartney, Reynolds, McGowan, East (Romani connections), Smith (Romani connections)