Author Topic: wantling medway  (Read 11401 times)

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wantling medway
« on: Monday 14 March 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
hi i have a James wantling who married a Ann stubbings in chelmsford 1847. they must have moved to the medway area about 1855 - 1860. i have seven children listed
James wantling haverhill Suffolk, thomas springfield Essex, john barking Essex, Henry romsey Kent
Sarah maria, Louisa, Elizabeth all from new brompton Kent.
Sarah maria wantling married my great grandfather James pocknell and they ran a pub called the flower of Kent.
Ann wantling (stubbings) was born in 1926 in Watford Essex, i have no information about James wantling at all, his father could be thomas wantling, he may have served in the navy, the only connection to the medway towns.
James and Ann were well travelled if the birth places of there children are correct. any help appreciated in tracing james or his father. thanks john

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wantling medway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 11 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This seems to be the family in the 1851 Census living in Brook End, Springfield

James Wantling 47 Head China Painter b Derby
Ann Wantling 25 Wife b Widford Essex
James Wantling 3 b Haverhill Suffolk
Thomas Wantling 1 b Springfield, Essex
William Wantling 39 Visitor Book Binder b Derby

ref Class: HO107 1776 f 454

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be best to get the marriage certificate for James and Ann as this should  give you the name of his father.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
hello
i have just started doing my family, my brother was doing it before me but stopped a few years ago.
he has just informed that he has the marriage certificate for james wantling and ann stubbings.
he says that they were married in the  parish church widford in the district of chelmsford essex.
they were married april 20th 1847. james was of full age, a batchelor, in the navy, resident at the time of the marriage in chelmsford and his fathers name was thomas and was a potter.
ann stubbings a spinster of full age and was resident in widford at the time of the marriage her fathers name was john stubbings a labourer.
i have looked on the genealogogist and the family search site of the latter day saints, unable to find them on any cencus. thanks john

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

That is useful information.  Will see if I can find anything more.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
James Wantling "China Painter" - wondered if this might be him

Liverpool Mercury, Friday March15, 1822

Foot race at Derby - the grand match between James Wantling, of Derby, china painter, and Thomas Shaw of Lane - end, earthen ware manufacturer, is to take place at Derby on Monday 18th instant. The match is for 200 guineas, and to be run on the South Terrace, facing the Infirmary, on the London road, the ground being properly corded and staked out. The parties are to be prepared at half past one o'clock, and to start at the firing of a pistol.

Derby Mercury, Wednesday March 24th, 1824

Foot race - we understand that another race will be run between Mr James Wantling, late of this place, and Mr Samuel Beddoe of West Bromwich (two of the most celebrated runners in the United Kingdom) on Walsall Race Course on Monday 29th instant, at three o'clock in the afternoon. The distance, three hundred yards (the Derby Youth to give the West Bromwich Youth twelve yards at starting) for the sum of five hundred sovereigns.

Will post the result of the race later tonight - must dash!

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Derby Mercury, Wednesday 31st March 1824

Great Foot Race for 500 Sovereigns - The race announced in our last between James Wantling, of this place, and Beddoe, the West Bromwich Youth, took place on Monday last at West Bromwich (the ground at Walsall originally fixed upon, being in an unfit state for the purpose) and was decided in the favour of the former. The present ground was firm and in good order; both men appeared to have undergone strict training which had brought them into fine muscular condition. The distance was 300 yards, Wantling allowing his opponent 12 yards. The competitors started at fire of pistol, when after running about 130 yards Wantling took the lead, which he maintained to about a yard and a half to the end of the race, frequently turning his head and smiling at the efforts of Beddoe to overtake him. The race we understand occupied 35 seconds. The contest excited great interest, upwards of 20,000 spectators being assembled on the occasion. Considerable dissatisfaction prevailed among the populace, particularly those of them who had come a great distance, in consequence of the time of starting, which was fixed at 3 o'clock precisely, being delayed until 6 in the evening, but on the termination of the race the declaration of Wantling being the winner appeared to produce a general satisfaction and good humour.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 12:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 Census has "James Wantling, age 47" ie. born about 1804

The Morning Chronicle, Friday November 3rd, 1826 describes James Wantling the runner as "23 years old" ie born about 1803.

regards

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant information hanes!

Not having much luck with other records. Unfortunately prior to 1853 he Royal Navy did not keep individual service records for ratings.  See this research guide

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/ratingroyalnavybefore1853.htm?WT.lp=rg-3168

I think you are going to need the parish registers John.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts