Author Topic: wantling medway  (Read 11387 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: wantling medway
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara.
I just wanted to know I wasnt going crazy ;)
No I hadnt looked for a Death Reg so thanks for it.

I have found a possible 1891 iust now, same Address ;D;

1891 Census
97 Jeffrey St,
Gillingham, Kent
RG12/660/6/5
Ann SMITH, 60, Head, Widow, Mangling, born Whitford, Essex
Eliza Smith, 25, Daug, Single, Mangling, born New Brompton, Kent

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Trish - re "China painter"

My first post includes an 1822  newspaper article that describes James as "china painter". He returned to his old trade after leaving the sea.

There are a number of newspaper articles that mention James Wantling the runner and he was quite famous in his day. Therefore, I'm surprised I can't find something about his death in any of the on-line newspapers.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Correction.

In an earlier post I mentioned a newspaper article in 1826 describing James as "23 years old" i.e. born about 1803. I have rechecked the image and it's "25 years of age" ie. born about 1801.

Apologies

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
been in touch with a distant relatIve one ive never met, she is going to look at her tree to see if anything matches
Hi John
Good to hear from you. I haven't had time to spend on the  family tree recently but do get the odd enquiry.
The stuff in the document is certainly very interesting and if i remember rightly i did trace James Wantling to Derby. Sounds very intersting if he was a China Painter, i know there are some famous pottery works up there and i wonder if any antique china  wares exist that he may have painted! Who knows!  The 1861 census showing the wantlings living in Canterbury Terrace, Gillingham was again an interest as I used to live in Canterbury Street, Gillingham when i was a baby, before moving to Cornwallis Avenue....I wonder if this was the same place, there are some very old Victorian houses along that street.  will try and take a look maybe tomorrow and add the information to my tree and see what we come up with.
have found the possible marriage of Louisa wantling 1893
  1901 census Charles yalden 35 new zealand
 Louisa 35, Lucy 6, clement 4, Elizabeth 2 all of new brompton

the pub the flower of Kent was also on Jeffery st no 57

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 March 11 17:49 GMT (UK) »
thanks to trish, hanes teulu and barbara for all the information you have discovered for me.
john

Offline Kymsteph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi John,  have been doing family history since Christmas, got stuck on James Wantling and just typed him into google to see what I could find.  Could not believe it when I found your postings along with, Barbara and Trish I think it is.
  Louisa Wantling was my great grandmother, and Charles Yalden my great grandfather.  I'd had just about worked out the Ann Stubbings/Smith thing, with the help of another person using ancestry.   I have thir marriage certificate.  Louisa father is listed at James Wantling deceased a  sergeant RM (royal marines maybe).  As you have noticed the only death I can find of a James Wantling is in 1857, so any children after that date are not really Wantlings, dont suppose they are smith either, just a front I should think.  Louisa is listed in the 1891 census as living at 25 the Paddock, Chatham as a general servant to a Joseph Piper aged 76. This is also the address on the marriage certificate so know its the right one.  Notice you live in Gillingham.   I work in Gillingham Library, good place for research.  I also have relations in New Zealand but lost touch about 12 years ago when my Dad died.  Be good to hear from you. Or come and find me at work.
Kym

Offline JOHNYP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 June 11 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Kym
I would love to come and see you at the library in Gillingham but unfortunately i live in West Yorkshire. I do most of my research in my local library in Sowerby Bridge.
I haven't got a date for his death, and as if you say that he died in1857 it would be interesting to find who the father was of the other children.
I have Louise married to Charles yalden, they had 3 children, Louisa, Charles and Ernest that's all i have about them.
the only two children of James and Ann wantling i have no information about are thomas 1850, and Elizabeth 1864 born in the same year as Louisa is it possible they could have been twins.
I have the marriage certificate of James wantling and Ann stubbings, send me your e-mail address using the private message in roots chat and i will send you a copy.
going on holiday at the end of this week, not back until July 24th will be in contact soon
john

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 June 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Kym :)
You have to make 2 more postings before the PM System can be activated on Rootschat.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Kymsteph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,  just getting to grips with roots chat, just came upon it when I typed James Wantling into Google, in my frustration to find out more about him and his, or as it seems with my Great grandmother not his, maybe Mr Smith's !  I've been hoping to find a New Zealand/Australian connection.  Up till about 10 years ago was still corresponding with a Yalden in NZ. I have a letter that he wrote to my Dad and they are talking about Dobsons and Davenports.  It says that his grandmother was a Christine Dobson.  I have quite a bit of info on the wantling /yalden line, more on the yalden than anything.  Lousia Yalden, supposed daughter of James Wantling was my great grandmother, she married Charles Yalden who was born in Octago. One of their daughters, also Louisa, she is listed as Lucy on the 1901 Census, was my grandmother and she married Robert John Stanley Stephens, and my Dad, Robert, was one of their 3 sons.   
Charles Yaldens father was also a Charles Yalden, he was born in Tooting near London, and Married a Mary Jane Franklin who was born in Hobart Tasmania, which is were they got married.  He was in New Zealand in the Brithish Army 12th Regiment.  The time is around 1860-66. He must have been fighting in the Maori wars.   Anyway if you want to mail me I can send you some photos, documents etc. be great to hear from you, its   email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange email addresses thankyou.  The Rootschat pesonal message system will be automatically activated once a Rootschatter has posted three times on the main boards.