Author Topic: Holm to Holmes  (Read 2005 times)

Offline pink1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holm to Holmes
« on: Tuesday 15 March 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to document the lineage of my mothers side of my family whose surname was HOLMES. Other people researching the same lineage have indicated that my gggrandparents would be Hector HOLM and Elizabeth CAMERON of Rosshire, Scotland.  Their son Donald HOLMES (1816-1885) was born in Rosshire and emigrated to Ontario, Canada in the mid 1800's.  The name change, HOLM to HOLMES causes me some doubt as to whether or not Donald was in fact born HOLM.  Does anyone have any info on name changes such as this?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Holm to Holmes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
hi pink1

welcome to rootschat  :)

the IGI and 1841 census(freeCEN) may indicate that this couple were hector holm and KATHERINE cameron of resolis ross and cromarty

it is possible that holm became holmes , many were not able to read or write
at this time and spelling was fluid(english may not have been donald's first
language i.e. gaelic)

might be difficult to prove  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline pink1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holm to Holmes
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response.  I mistakenly typed Elizabeth rather than Kathrine Cameron.  My brain was churning over a whole herd of names at the time.  Your explanation of the name change, Holm to Holmes, certainly sounds logical.  I tend to forget that reading and writing was not wide spread at that time.